LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

49ers sign Mario Manningham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by straightcashblowme:
i think this signing means no peyton, sadly. manningham's strength is the deep ball, but his route running is pretty scratchy. i think he can be asset, but i don't think he's a signing to further entice 18 to sign.

manningham's market was soft, which could have let the giants back in. did eli want him back? if not, why not? maybe eli did want him back, and if that's the case, peyton is taking food from his brother's plate, because he would have been asked his opinion before we signed him.

maybe i'm reading too much into this, but adding a another deep threat with questionable route running skills to convince peyton, a stickler for precision and possible muscle issues which are more likely to affect his deep ball. i dunno.

So making our wr corps better makes Manning less likely to sign here?
Caught the ball from Eli for 4 years....now Peyton?
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
its un upgrade or at the worst a even deal from Josh Morgan, I really like this guy, and he will fit into the 49ers offense no matter whos our qb. we were never getting Wallace so I love this deal. LLloyd was crap and was never going to help the 49ers and would have been a huge waste of money. This guy is young, big and can stretch the field. A perfect fit for the 2012 49ers. If we can get Manning its going to be awesome. WOW

I'm wondering how you can call the league's leading receiver 2 years ago "crap".

Nice retort, especially catching balls from Kyle Orton!
I'm excited, WR wasn't exactly a strong point for us this past season. Manningham will provide a huge upgrade. I'm curious though about the contract details though.
Originally posted by Niners99:
So making our wr corps better makes Manning less likely to sign here?

No its means less cap space to afford Manning.
I'm not a fan given all he lost his starting spot last year, but for the right price I guess it's not bad.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
its un upgrade or at the worst a even deal from Josh Morgan, I really like this guy, and he will fit into the 49ers offense no matter whos our qb. we were never getting Wallace so I love this deal. LLloyd was crap and was never going to help the 49ers and would have been a huge waste of money. This guy is young, big and can stretch the field. A perfect fit for the 2012 49ers. If we can get Manning its going to be awesome. WOW

I'm wondering how you can call the league's leading receiver 2 years ago "crap".

WE already rehashed this We had Lloyd 5 seasons ago, he was nothing. He would not have fit in with our team and would have been a huge waste of $$$ for the 49ers. Thats why we did not resign him and he took less $$ from NE. Number 82 from NYC is our man. DEAL WITH IT.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

WE already rehashed this We had Lloyd 5 seasons ago, he was nothing. He would not have fit in with our team and would have been a huge waste of $$$ for the 49ers. Thats why we did not resign him and he took less $$ from NE. Number 82 from NYC is our man. DEAL WITH IT.
Do you ever post without a smiley?

Who is WE exactly?

Difference of opinion much? Fine with me.
Love the signing!

More weapons for whoeverTF our QB will be.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Just got up. Nice signing, good for depth. Manningham is an upgrade over Morgan. Now, let's sign Peyton.
Originally posted by mike:
I love how people criticizing him say he's a bad route runner when people who like him state that his route running is one of his key assets because he's not particularly fast and doesn't do many circus catches. Which is it?

Just from googling it up, it appears the "sloppy" route running label comes mostly from one play that Commentator Chris Collingsworth criticized from Manningham where he said Mario gets too close to the sidelines on his routes and ends up out of bounds.
I agree,

I myself googled it and couldn't really find anything, what i did find on some sites is that hes inconsistent at times, but I also found multiple sites that say he is a good route runner with good hands, so like you said "which is it?" Ill say this though, after watching several giants games the last two years (thank you Sunday Ticket) I will say at times he can be inconsistent but how ever he mostly is very fluid in his routes especially in and out of his cuts and he does demonstrate great hands.
... hope he works out
good signing

our WRs will definitely be improved from last year, throw in a draft pick and we have a damn good core
~ Small.
~ Slow.
~ Doesn't separate well.

Don't see how he imporves us much. You need a "Manning" for proper ball placement to make him look good IMO. I don't think he would help Alex much. He would look completely covered to Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone