LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

49ers sign Mario Manningham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i think this signing means no peyton, sadly. manningham's strength is the deep ball, but his route running is pretty scratchy. i think he can be asset, but i don't think he's a signing to further entice 18 to sign.

manningham's market was soft, which could have let the giants back in. did eli want him back? if not, why not? maybe eli did want him back, and if that's the case, peyton is taking food from his brother's plate, because he would have been asked his opinion before we signed him.

maybe i'm reading too much into this, but adding a another deep threat with questionable route running skills to convince peyton, a stickler for precision and possible muscle issues which are more likely to affect his deep ball. i dunno.
[ Edited by straightcashblowme on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM ]
do we have figures in yet?
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
I sent a massive text to my buddies about this and one them say

Friend - ''Eli made him great''

VDSF - ''Peyton will make him a legend''
Originally posted by straightcashblowme:
i think this signing means no peyton, sadly. manningham's strength is the deep ball, but his route running is pretty scratchy. i think he can be asset, but i don't think he's a signing to further entice 18 to sign.

manningham's market was soft, which could have let the giants back in. did eli want him back? if not, why not? maybe eli did want him back, and if that's the case, peyton is taking food from his brother's plate, because he would have been asked his opinion before we signed him.

maybe i'm reading too much into this, but adding a another deep threat with questionable route running skills to convince peyton, a stickler for precision and possible muscle issues which are more likely to affect his deep ball. i dunno.
BINGO
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
We didn't get him

I expected more from you.
Originally posted by diablo:
BINGO

hope so.
It's going to be crazy if we get Peyton, that adds a serious edge to the 49ers quaterback mystique. I think with Peyton, Moss, Gore, and Justin Smith nearing their final days of football this team will be hungry to win a super bowl for them.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by susweel:
We didn't get him

I expected more from you.

No schefter confused me on Twitter. I'm happy we got a WR.
Originally posted by VDSF:
I sent a massive text to my buddies about this and one them say

Friend - ''Eli made him great''

VDSF - ''Peyton will make him a legend''

BOOM goes the dynamite!
  • mike
  • Veteran
I love how people criticizing him say he's a bad route runner when people who like him state that his route running is one of his key assets because he's not particularly fast and doesn't do many circus catches. Which is it?

Just from googling it up, it appears the "sloppy" route running label comes mostly from one play that Commentator Chris Collingsworth criticized from Manningham where he said Mario gets too close to the sidelines on his routes and ends up out of bounds.

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
It's going to be crazy if we get Peyton, that adds a serious edge to the 49ers quaterback mystique. I think with Peyton, Moss, Gore, and Justin Smith nearing their final days of football this team will be hungry to win a super bowl for them.

I thot this was abot manningham nat manning. Did we sain manning?
wow this one i didnt exactly see happening
Originally posted by captveg:
No. He's just correcting who broke the story.

Agreed. It was extremely obvious.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Scrolling on the bottom of the NFL Network. Jason LaCanfordianistarialona says it is a two year deal. My guess is two years for $9 million. The WR market has really dried up. Brandon Lloyd signed a pretty meager contract number, so I expect Manningham's contract to be slimmer than expected.

While this move helps alleviate the loss of Morgan, I am not so sure it is an upgrade. Will have to wait and see. The WR market really dried up the past few days, and the contract numbers for these guys are shrinking before our eyes. Brandon Lloyd's contract was shockingly low. Seems like the league doesn't place a lot of value on Lloyd nor Manningham.

Probably ends the Niners pursuit of Mike Wallace, if they were even interested in the first place. Still badly need interior line help. And, how about a QB?
its un upgrade or at the worst a even deal from Josh Morgan, I really like this guy, and he will fit into the 49ers offense no matter whos our qb. we were never getting Wallace so I love this deal. LLloyd was crap and was never going to help the 49ers and would have been a huge waste of money. This guy is young, big and can stretch the field. A perfect fit for the 2012 49ers. If we can get Manning its going to be awesome. WOW
Originally posted by 49erJim:
its un upgrade or at the worst a even deal from Josh Morgan, I really like this guy, and he will fit into the 49ers offense no matter whos our qb. we were never getting Wallace so I love this deal. LLloyd was crap and was never going to help the 49ers and would have been a huge waste of money. This guy is young, big and can stretch the field. A perfect fit for the 2012 49ers. If we can get Manning its going to be awesome. WOW

I'm wondering how you can call the league's leading receiver 2 years ago "crap".
Share 49ersWebzone