There are 171 users in the forums

49ers sign Mario Manningham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'll say it again. Who is going to return kicks and punts for this team? I like the signing but I was hoping for Ginn to return. It might still happen but I doubt it. Any ideas?

Rock Cartwright, Kendall Hunter, Perrish Cox, or Reggie Smith.

1. Cartwright only returns kicks and isn't nearly good enough to give us the filed position we had last year.
2. Hunter could be good at kick returns but he has never done punts.
3. Cox was out of the league last year so he is far from a sure thing.
4. Reggie Smith isn't even on the team anymore.

So we are putting all our eggs in the Cox basket? That is worrisome. This and the RG issue need to be fixed asap.
Relax a team doesn't fill every single hole in only free agency. There are still trades and the draft

I hope you're right. The returner position just seems important enough to tackle now and we are running out of roster spots as I. See it. Returners, specifically punt returners, are usually wrs or cbs. If we keep 5 wrs, which is likely since we are a run oriented team, we have four spots filled. We are also pretty set on cbs with Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Cox. Bringing in another DB seems the most likely but I would love to just bring back Ginn as our 5th wr and continue our special teams dominance.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Meh....we needed a WR but I've read several articles saying he is a terrible route runner and never really knew the playbook. Maybe these things can be fixed.

I live in NJ and am friends with a lot of Giants fan plus also hear all the local sports talk over here. Maningham is avg at best. He disappears for games and drops passes. Not sure he is even as good as Morgan. Giants fans here could care less that he is gone. Not excited about this at all but I guess we needed a WR.
I'll say it again. Who is going to return kicks and punts for this team? I like the signing but I was hoping for Ginn to return. It might still happen but I doubt it. Any ideas?

1. Cartwright only returns kicks and isn't nearly good enough to give us the filed position we had last year.

So we are putting all our eggs in the Cox basket? That is worrisome. This and the RG issue need to be fixed asap.
Relax a team doesn't fill every single hole in only free agency. There are still trades and the draft

I hope you're right. The returner position just seems important enough to tackle now and we are running out of roster spots as I. See it. Returners, specifically punt returners, are usually wrs or cbs. If we keep 5 wrs, which is likely since we are a run oriented team, we have four spots filled. We are also pretty set on cbs with Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, and Cox. Bringing in another DB seems the most likely but I would love to just bring back Ginn as our 5th wr and continue our special teams dominance.

if we get peyton manning........fair catches and touchbacks we won't need no stinkin return man

bring back Ginn or cut Williams and draft a KR/PR/WR.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Out of the guys we worked out I liked Manningham the most. He has a shot to be a solid 1 or 2 here. Great hands which we need our receivers to have.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I like the signing and quite frankly cannot understand how anyone wouldnt. What I think it does is eliminate the need to reach for a WR in the first round and instead focus on both the offensive and defensive lines.

I am hoping for a trade up for DeCastro or get Konz or Glenn. I think the one position the Niners really need to fill in right OG. I know it is not the norm to move up for an OG but DeCastro would be worth it.
i have no idea how we trade up for decastro when he will be picked as high as the cards or cowboys pick
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

if we get peyton manning........fair catches and touchbacks we won't need no stinkin return man

Yeah and if Ifs and Buts were Candy and Nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!
Manning ham made the 2 biggest post season catches for the giants !!! They dint win the title w/o either catch! Of course giant fans don't care NOW that he is a... Fortyfriggininer!!!!
How can a fan not like this one?

Guys like Garcon and Laurent Robinson were way overpaid and Niners get a clutch receiver and probably at a modest deal. Front office is balling!
does this mean were not going after manning? i didnt think we could sign anyone else if we got manning

Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Meh....we needed a WR but I've read several articles saying he is a terrible route runner and never really knew the playbook. Maybe these things can be fixed.

I live in NJ and am friends with a lot of Giants fan plus also hear all the local sports talk over here. Maningham is avg at best. He disappears for games and drops passes. Not sure he is even as good as Morgan. Giants fans here could care less that he is gone. Not excited about this at all but I guess we needed a WR.

Guess I will trust Harbaugh and Baalke more than talk radio geeks. Not a bad track record so far.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Ginn isn't getting any more attention. He'll resign for cheap.

He visited the ravens today. Hes getting plenty of attention.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
does this mean were not going after manning? i didnt think we could sign anyone else if we got manning

I think this kind of deal had to happen whether we got Alex or Peyton. AB did a very good mock up contract and I'm pretty sure this would fit along with the singing as long as it's not all crazy huge.
Oh man I hope we get Peyton !!!!

signed, Alex
I think we got some WR that can thrive under a bad ass qb

Doesn't any WR thrive more under a badass QB?
Share 49ersWebzone