There are 198 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The "Cohn" Thread

Why are people trying to turn this into a personal thing between Alex and harbaugh? At the end of the day this is a business or manning wouldn't even be a topic of discussion he'd be getting ready to start the offseason with the colts. I can't put a date on the interview, but I remember the media asking him about this very topic. I also remember him saying "its Peyton Manning." He knows this is a business, he is smart and humble enough to realise that a healthy Peyton manning is a superior qb in comparison to himself. While I would love to see #18 at the helm for us over Alex. Even though I am a so called Alex hater, this situation somehow is troubling to me morally.
Harbaugh is cold blooded and thats what makes him such an awesome in your face kick your effing ass out the door coach. He wont back down and be anybody's b***h..... ever. Anyone who is supposed to beat him is a direct challenge that he wants to exterminate that's why I love him and that is why we will win another superbowl.

Should break Schwartz's jaw next time they meet just for the hell of it. Little Dbag. lol
Originally posted by 1swift:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GSeef49er:
How is he cold hearted if a deal has been presented to smith. You can't wait forever for someone to sign.

telling the players that they are top priority and drumming them up and not resigning them looks a little cold hearted.

Morgan...
Alex....
Blake....

I understand the bidding war aspect but we could of signed Morgan before FA started. I don't care that he walked but I thought we would of never had the chance to do so.

This, don't care what Cohn says but JReff brings up a good point.

Doesn't mean that we have to give them anything they want? Its a negotiation. Being a priority doesn't = a blank check.

This. Matts reported ad nauseum that the 49ers had extended extension offers to Snyder, Morgan, Goldson, and Rogers before the season was over, and that they were open to more discussions as FA approached. $6MM a yar for Morgan is bananas. He signed with WAS in DC on the first day of FA. Tamper much? He knew where he was going. Alex has an offer sitting on the table.
Originally posted by Tman:

In defense of harbaugh and baalke they did extend the offer to Alex before free agency began. Alex tried to do what any normal player would do in trying to get a better deal, this time it may have backfired on him. If Peyton is signed by us, Alex will become the #1 qb in free agency.
So what. Football is a business. The Colts signed Manning one day, and said they loved him well until ditching him because they didn't want to sign the $28 million paycheck. Alex Smith should understand that, and do what's best for his career and his family.
Originally posted by taney71:
When did Kaep get in this conversation?

Right now! Because it will be Manning/Kaepernick! If you don't like it to bad, if you do... Good! Get use to it
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Am I the only one who read the article?

He was PRAISING him for being "cold hearted". He was comparing him to Bill Walsh, "Bill Walsh was also cold hearted".

Was just going to post the samething. The NFL is a business. As Cohn said, there cant be any personal feelings involved while doing big business. Harbaugh gets that. Baalke gets that. Any business professional gets that. Most people here appearently dont.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
In defense of harbaugh and baalke they did extend the offer to Alex before free agency began. Alex tried to do what any normal player would do in trying to get a better deal, this time it may have backfired on him. If Peyton is signed by us, Alex will become the #1 qb in free agency.

Maybe but you could argue that Matt Flynn has never been as "busty" as Alex Smith. lol . I know we only seen him for 1 or 2 games but damn those two games kinda looked better then Alex's first two games right? The cowpies also just signed Kyle Orton so maybe you are right that Smith would have some value. Just sad that he is 100% less valued as a 7 year veteran than 2 completely rookie QB's. Luck and RG3 are like gods gift to mankind compared to Smith. Honestly if I had had my choice of our rookie CK7 or 7 year vet Smith for 3-4 mil a year... I take CK7 even untested. Sucks but true. We all wanted to believe in Smith but why does he always have to make us look stupid for having faith. This season aside (only because he wasn't asked to do much) do we have anything else to go by. He fits every definition of bust so far, only thing left is to go play for the CFL or something.
What is colder than cold?
Originally posted by BayArea:
Maybe but you could argue that Matt Flynn has never been as "busty" as Alex Smith. lol . I know we only seen him for 1 or 2 games but damn those two games kinda looked better then Alex's first two games right? The cowpies also just signed Kyle Orton so maybe you are right that Smith would have some value. Just sad that he is 100% less valued as a 7 year veteran than 2 completely rookie QB's. Luck and RG3 are like gods gift to mankind compared to Smith. Honestly if I had had my choice of our rookie CK7 or 7 year vet Smith for 3-4 mil a year... I take CK7 even untested. Sucks but true. We all wanted to believe in Smith but why does he always have to make us look stupid for having faith. This season aside (only because he wasn't asked to do much) do we have anything else to go by. He fits every definition of bust so far, only thing left is to go play for the CFL or something.

Hmm...didn't like the playoffs? Love it when folks are willing to try a totally unknown in place of someone who played well and had the team going to the super bowl until a young ST player gave the game away. And the fact that Smith rose to the occasion in the NO game seems to escape his critics. Do we know how CK will respond to pressure? No. But Smith has been called a "naturally calm" athlete under pressure...an attribute that I rather like in a QB.
It's called being a leader! Making tough (albeit sometimes they seem cold hearted) decisions for the benefit of the group and not the individual is what a true leader does. This is why not everybody can be a leader exactly because of decisions like these. It doesn't make him cold hearted at all. Now if he didn't care how this made everyone feel at all, didn't think about the fallout of a decision like this on all the parties involved, and didn't treat all parties with the utmost respect while making and administering said decision than that would make him cold hearted. It's not like they didn't offer Smith a fair contract (or some of the other Niner FAs)that has been sitting on the table for over a week or anything. Is he supposed to wait and let Alex do what ever he wants just to make sure his feelings aren't hurt? What do you think the rest of the team (to which he is actually responsible for their well being as whole)would feel about that one? Especially if Smith ended up siging somewhere else.

Whatever, this is coming from a guy who was calling these same people out last week for not going after Manning and this week he is calling them out for going after Manning! Make up your mind you dumb senile old b*****d! He obviously is no longer able to do his job with any integrity as he has allowed his emotions to comprmise his work. He has made it clear he does not like a Harbaaugh and tries to attack him at every chance. Even if it means contradicting himself and making himself look unprofessional and foolish! I know I could choose to not read his colums and I do but he still bothers me because all his articles do is poison the Niners atmosphere for aparently no other reason than he doen't like certain people in the orginaization. I wish he would to us all a favor and retire!
[ Edited by Ramp19smoker on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Right now! Because it will be Manning/Kaepernick! If you don't like it to bad, if you do... Good! Get use to it

Originally posted by Jakemall:
What is colder than cold?

scrumtrallescence
Cooooooold blooooded!