LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Anyone else think Harbaalke is totally down with CK-2012?

• rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If they were down with CK, they wouldn't even make a contract offer to Smith.

It is clear the Niners are not committed to either QB right now. They are back in limbo mode. They probably offered a crappy 3-year deal to a guy who should probably warrent a deal similar to Ryan Fitzpatrick (this would be the logic from Smith's agent, Tom Condon). So, they do not feel sure that he is the face of the franchise.

On the flipside, they feel so little about CK in 2012, that they are offering a multi-year contract to Smith.

Honestly, I kinda hope Smith moves onto somewhere else. He is getting hosed by the organization at this point. Right now, we are committed to no one.

Not necessarily. They have Kaep locked up on his initial contract for three more years. Keep in mind that under the new agreement a high second round draft choice would get a little over a million per year with a good chunk of that in signing bonus. As such they can afford to contract Alex for the same time frame. If Alex starts and Kaep backs him up or if Kaep starts and Alex backs him up doesn't matter costs remain the same. Alex contract ends by the time they would have to negotiate Kaep's extension at that time they could shift money over and keep their annual QB spend pretty consistent and mnimize impact of Salary cap.

If the contract is structured the way that I think it is (24-30mil with 10 guarenteed) there would be minimal impact even if they were to cut Alex sooner.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM ]
if harbaugh thinks CK is ready to roll im down. if harbaugh thinks he isnt and wants smith back, im down. HARBAUGH KNOWS BEST
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I don think harbaugh is "down" with CK in 2012 one bit. I think he truly does want Smith back.

So actually IMHO, the organization did kind of screw with Smith and other teams. Now yes, Smith has said maybe once or twice he wants to be back and they want him.

Harbaugh has come straight out and said Smith's our guy. At least 5 times, after the season was over.

So how did the 49ers do this. Anyone notice that since the end of the season, all we have been hearing about is Smith coming back. Harbaugh Smith coming back. Even every tv show that talked about us, just knew Smith was coming back. So i mean if u hear that you know a guy is coming back almost automatically, then why would you even attempt to make him an offer.

If after the season ended all you heard from our organization is how Smith is coming back. Why even entertain the idea. I think that also has a lot to do with why we have heard of no one calling just yet.

Now where did he say that Smith was our guy atleast 5 different times. He specifically used the phrase our guy once when he was asked about Alex's future at the golf outing in Pepple Beach when Alex was his caddie. So when were the other four.

During one interview after the season ended when asked about Alex and his contract he said that he wanted Alex back for "continuity". Other than the golf outing I have not found any interview in which he specifically used the term "our guy". He has said that the team wants him back but not with that specific term.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM ]
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
The interview by the way was Chronicle Live when he made the comment:

"We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy. It's well-documented. You saw the way he played this year," Harbaugh told host Jim Kozimor. "(He is a) tremendous leader on our football team.

That interview was then quoted in several different articles.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by rdc1:

"We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy. It's well-documented. You saw the way he played this year," Harbaugh told host Jim Kozimor. "(He is a) tremendous leader on our football team.

So you were saying when else has he said this...
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Im sure they are confident that Kaep could play this year if needed but they want Alex back so they can groom Kaep more before they throw him to the Wolves.

You want him to replace Rubio
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

I am saying that Harbaugh used the term "our guy" once not atleast 5 times as the other person indicated. If anyone else can come up with a documented case where that term was used by Harbaugh to refer to Alex I would like to see it because I have not been able to find it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I don think harbaugh is "down" with CK in 2012 one bit. I think he truly does want Smith back.

So actually IMHO, the organization did kind of screw with Smith and other teams. Now yes, Smith has said maybe once or twice he wants to be back and they want him.

Harbaugh has come straight out and said Smith's our guy. At least 5 times, after the season was over.

So how did the 49ers do this. Anyone notice that since the end of the season, all we have been hearing about is Smith coming back. Harbaugh Smith coming back. Even every tv show that talked about us, just knew Smith was coming back. So i mean if u hear that you know a guy is coming back almost automatically, then why would you even attempt to make him an offer.

If after the season ended all you heard from our organization is how Smith is coming back. Why even entertain the idea. I think that also has a lot to do with why we have heard of no one calling just yet.

I don't buy into much Harbaugh says in terms of personnel decisions. He pumped Morgan up also.

Yeah, but I would argue Morgan chose to leave us to go to the Skins for more money... not the other way around.

agreed Morgan wanted to leave. He was worth more then the money we offered him(at least in Washington's mind) and he will start opposite Garcon and have RG3 throwing to him.

The money and the starting gig sent Morgan packing.

Morgan was a nice backup-quality WR. He is not a quality starter in this league but he had a chance to go home and play before his hometown fans. Can't blame him for that. I wish him well.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Kinda hard since they already have had an offer in to Smith. for weeks now

I mean maybe they aren't finishing the details... they can rework the contract to adjust to our cap needs for this year depending on who we sign.

Agree. Don't think Alex wants to go anywhere.
Originally posted by Joecool:
You have been a Smith backer since he was drafted. He's not getting hosed and there's is no inclination that the 49ers do or don't believe in Keap. What they do believe in is that they think they can develop Kaep.

Alex Smith is not getting hosed by anyone. The league, Alex, and the 49ers know that Smith is a slow applier compared to QB's like Fitzpatrick. Alex is the only one who has kept himself from being desired by other teams due to his mental nature to need to absorb first and apply second.

If anyone hosed Alex Smith, it was Urban Meyer by making the "ineffective" comment and scaring teams 7 years later to think that they can't just plug him in and expect results as they can with other NFL QB's.

You must confuse me with someone else. While I like Smith as a player, I am not naive about his weaknesses. This is not an elite QB by any means, but is still starting quality in this league. Call him a middle of the road QB, which statistically he was when adding raw numbers, QB percentage, TD/INT ratio. I am arguing from a fair market value point. Comparable players are receiving lengthier contracts with bigger dollar signs attached. Smith was the unquestioned leader of the team this past year, starting from the lockout through the playoffs. He has played well for a stretch of about 20 straight games (from late 2010 through the 2011 playoffs).

I just think the team needs to make a commitment either way on Smith. If he is not your man, then let him go and move onto the guy you think is the franchise QB. You can't state that he is your man, then offer some limited, lowball contract that reeks of uncertainty. What are you telling your team, fans, organization? He is our man...kinda...sorta. Smith is a good guy, a nice guy, and he will probably accept a crappy below market value contract. It doesn't mean it is fair or right for the organization to abuse his kindness. Fish or cut bait.

• nj9er
  • Veteran
If Smith gets a better deal in Seattle or Miami or Cleaveland he may just take it. We could enter Manning sweepstakes but likely Johnson is our plan B though with open competition.
I am saying that Harbaugh used the term "our guy" once not atleast 5 times as the other person indicated. If anyone else can come up with a documented case where that term was used by Harbaugh to refer to Alex I would like to see it because I have not been able to find it.

This is what I find annoying. If he is your guy, make a commitment. If he is not, move on. Offering a three year deal is like offering to take a girl on a date, but only for dinner. No movies, dessert, club.
if the FO knew alex wasnt coming or at very least thought it

dont you think they would even LOOK at a veteran backup at the very least?
i trust whatever harbaalke does this offseason
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No. If Kaepernick were ready, they wouldn't have offered Smith a contract.
Share 49ersWebzone