There are 161 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If You Were Smith.........

I would:

1) Have Condon keep me in the loop on any Niner interest in Peyton. If they have interest, I sign if I'm happy with the current offer.
2) Wait a little longer to see if any other QBs sign an extension
3) Wait to see where Flynn lands, if the Niners aren't offering me $10MM per year with $20MM guaranteed

then...

4) Once the QB landscape unfolds, ask the Niners for a comparable offer to Flynn, since I'm the better, more experienced QB

Note: Alex has more leverage than people think. The Niners absolutely need to have a starting QB on the roster on Tuesday to attract top FA WRs. Kaep simply will not attract WRs. WRs will not sign if that is still up in the air. The Niners will want to close him out this weekend.
If I were alex, I would just sign the contract, not play games, and get in and practice more. He holds the key to us winning, I'd be practicing my ass off right now, I'd call crabtree and Kyle williams and get their asses in gear early.

I would be very leary that they are just trying to get me to keep the spot warm for CK though.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
If I were alex, I would just sign the contract, not play games, and get in and practice more. He holds the key to us winning, I'd be practicing my ass off right now, I'd call crabtree and Kyle williams and get their asses in gear early.

I would be very leary that they are just trying to get me to keep the spot warm for CK though.

That's the motivation for a 5 year deal. Even a 4 year deal. If he is going to be the starter and the head coach is saying "Alex is our guy"... then make "Alex our guy" contractually.

You can't tell the world somebody is "our guy" and then not pay him like he's "our guy". The Niners risk setting a dangerous precedent if they don't come through.

That doesn't mean paying an outlandish contract. That just means paying him $10-11MM per year at around $20MM guaranteed.

Seems fair given his amazing success over the last 24 games.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Which also means he holds a lot more in terms of negotiating... I think the last sentence is the key to this whole deal. He feels the 9ers see him as the bridge to the QB of the future and not the QB of the future based on the number of years in the offer...
Alex sign the 3 year deal. Then play lights out ball. After you accomplish that you will still be young enough to command big time money. QBs jobs are drying up quickly. Not sure is Seattle or Arizona would want you or not, Browns probably dont unless McCoys daddy wont let him play. The Dolphins are either going to get Manning or Flynn. The chiefs will either go with Manning or stay with Casell. You dont want to play for the Broncos with Tebow still there or Manning might be there. Redskins will draft there man. So that leaves the Jags and why would you want to leave a team that is Super Bowl Ready to play for the Jags. Plus if you do leave your going to have to learn a new system again.
He should take the deal because nobody else is gonna give him that.

He has no leverage.
I think he should sign the short term contract. Sitting under Harbaugh will only help him improve his game even more. Then go after that big deal. Harbaugh had alot of patience with this kid. I dont see any other coach having that for him. If Alex leaves and doesnt perform well i believe he'll just fizzle out. His best chances on becoming a SB champion is with us. just my honest opinion.
Originally posted by susweel:

He has no leverage.

Says who? We don't know who's said what to him. When FA opens its likely that Smith will be the top option out there in a QB starved league. Manning is reportedly wanting to sign before FA opens.
If I was Smith... I'd register on this board and tell susweel just what a meany he is and why he should go make himself a poop sandwich.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

He has no leverage.

Says who? We don't know who's said what to him. When FA opens its likely that Smith will be the top option out there in a QB starved league. Manning is reportedly wanting to sign before FA opens.

yah sure

He has no leverage.

ok, man. take a look around.
Originally posted by okdkid:

He has no leverage.

You only have leverage if another team will pay you more.

He has no leverage.

Seahawks, Browns, Dolphins, jags, are all looking for QBs and arnt in position to get one in the draft, tell me which FA QB is a better option.

He has no leverage.

First of all, you don't know another team won't. Just look at every QB transaction over the past 2 years. Teams go nuts.

Second of all, that's not true. Being offered more isn't the sole source of leverage. The Niners need a starting veteran QB signed by the start of FA. How could they reasonably expect to attract Wallace, Jackson or even Garcon with a guy who has never started before? Manning and Flynn aren't happening. We all should come to terms with that.

So, that means Alex has some leverage.
Smith ain't going anywhere, Condon knows it, Baalke knows it, Harbaugh knows it, even the loser thugs who fought in the preseason game know it. If I were Smith, I'd do exactly what he's doing, wait up till free agency starts and hope Baalke flinches before him and Condon do on details of the contract, fearing he'll leave to go to another team. If he doesn't flinch, sign what they're offering. It's really that simple on what's going on people.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home