LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

If You Were Smith.........

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Most of what's been discussed in the Alex Smith thread is from the team's perspective, both pro and con. We've all seen the arguments so I dont want to rehash them here. What I'm interested in is what you guys think Smith "SHOULD" do, not "What" he will do. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. What would be your next move?

So, if you were Smith, what would you do?

Here are a few possible answers as an example:

a) Stand firm on your contract demands and walk if it comes to it?

b) Possibly take less money with another team and start fresh somewhere else?

c) Sign the contract and hope to restructure if you play well enough next year?

d) Demand a 1 year contract at a higher dollar amount in hopes of getting big money and a longer term deal next year with or without the Niners? - Afrika's idea

Please dont turn this into a Alex debat. I realize you have to argue your point a little, but there is no need to repost stuff that was just posted in the Alex Smith thread.

Personally, if I'm Smith, I really like the one year contract option.
"Tom, I can appreciate what you are doing. However, just take the 3 year deal for 8 mil per. Really, Tom.. I'm already quite wealthy, and don't need to be locked up any longer than the 3 years. So enough with the super-agent wheeling and dealing... let's get the deal done and move along."

Id take the 3 years. Taking a one year day is a tougher cap hit and makes it harder to sign WR help which would be my main concern as a QB.

Best for both surest though would be a longer deal that has a lower cap hit.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I would have signed the contract already
I really wonder how Smith feels about all this?

Morally, I may be a lesser man than Smith, but if I was him, there would certainly be a part of me that would be ready to put the City of SF and its baggage behind me, especially if they really are only offering a 3 year deal. I might not get as much going somewhere else (maybe I would), but at least there wouldn't be as much anamosity and he could certainly start for a number of teams. Shoot, he's only 27....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
"Tom, I can appreciate what you are doing. However, just take the 3 year deal for 8 mil per. Really, Tom.. I'm already quite wealthy, and don't need to be locked up any longer than the 3 years. So enough with the super-agent wheeling and dealing... let's get the deal done and move along."

To your point, 3 years is nothing for a 27 year old QB. If he really does perform, he could hit the jackpot at 30. That seems to be the prime for QBs anyway. It's not like he's a RB.
I would be honored to be Peyton Manning's back up.
Would very likely stay. He has shown he is not the type of qb to grasp the offense right away. New team would mean new system and new players. He has established his familt here and is a california guy. If niners don't budge on length of contract, then ask for more dinero. If he performs, he will be able to command much more money in 2-3 years.

That being said, if I we're him, I would accept a 3 year contract and stay.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Morally, I may be a lesser man than Smith, but if I was him, there would certainly be a part of me that would be ready to put the City of SF and its baggage behind me, especially if they really are only offering a 3 year deal. I might not get as much going somewhere else (maybe I would), but at least there wouldn't be as much anamosity and he could certainly start for a number of teams. Shoot, he's only 27....
Agreed. Alex has more confidence than people like to think. So that said, I wouldn't expect him to be concerned about a really long contract. He feels that he will continue to play well... and the money always comes when you play well.

To your point, 3 years is nothing for a 27 year old QB. If he really does perform, he could hit the jackpot at 30. That seems to be the prime for QBs anyway. It's not like he's a RB.

Switch the top response to this one and vice versa.

I think you are projecting your desire to be rid of Alex here. (bolded parts)

Agreed. Alex has more confidence than people like to think. So that said, I wouldn't expect him to be concerned about a really long contract. He feels that he will continue to play well... and the money always comes when you play well.

That's very possible, but you can't deny that Alex has been through a lot of s**t here. Wasn't rumored that his own family wanted him to leave SF last year? Like I said, if it were me, I would have bailed waiving the middle finger.....

But yes, as a fan I'm tired too. My feelings on Alex are about as consistent as his play.
There is no reason for Alex to ask for a 1 year deal when there is already a 3 year deal on the table. None. His agent would not suggest it.

That's very possible, but you can't deny that Alex has been through a lot of s**t here. Wasn't rumored that his own family wanted him to leave SF last year? Like I said, if it were me, I would have bailed waiving the middle finger.....

But yes, as a fan I'm tired too. My feelings on Alex are about as consistent as his play.

You're feelings on Alex are far more consistent than the play of the Alex, the WRs, the Oline, and the RBs.
"Tom, I'd like a two year deal with an opt out clause after the first year...my option. When I become a pro bowl player (first or second year) we can renegotiate a deal in the elite range--you know, Fitzpatrick, Sanchez, Flynn neighborhood!"
Dear Tom

Don't f**k up what I have with Harbaugh

Alex
Share 49ersWebzone