LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Why did we sign brooks for so much $ instead of going after Mario Williams??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by WildBill:
While I wouldn't have minded Mario, we have signed Brookes and at a good rate. Mario would have costed us twice as much and while we might been a tad better, I think the money is best spent elsewhere. As one sports writer wrote, when you have guys like Willis and J Smith and A Smith, while they are under contract, it would upset them that they have bled 49ers Red and Gold and you just give this guy more money than them who have not only bled for you but have produced.

Great Post
Ding.Ding.Ding.Ding. We have a winner!!!

Can we shut this b***h down please....

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke's following a tried and true method of keeping his core players together...I'm pretty sure Fangio had a sizeable voice in keeping Brooks. He's impressed with his all-around game...and I hear Ahmad and Aldon Smith have a bet going as to who's going to get the most sacks next year...that's music to my ears.

That's awesome! I wasn't aware of that...that said, Aldon should clearly have the edge rushing from the WILL over Justin Smith and at the QB's blind side. But if these two start rotating SAM/WILL spots evenly, we might see some surprises!
Originally posted by WildBill:
While I wouldn't have minded Mario, we have signed Brookes and at a good rate. Mario would have costed us twice as much and while we might been a tad better, I think the money is best spent elsewhere. As one sports writer wrote, when you have guys like Willis and J Smith and A Smith, while they are under contract, it would upset them that they have bled 49ers Red and Gold and you just give this guy more money than them who have not only bled for you but have produced.

I'll drink to that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
does this thread serve a purpose anymore?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
the only good its doing is making ace drink
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Someone doesnt understand NFL contracts...................

this
super mario is overated anyways.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Because Mario will get twice that in FA.
1. I would rather keep Brook's this way instead of waiting on him hitting free agency and taking a chance of losing him

2. Williams would of cost a heck more than a few million. He is getting a $100M deal over 5 or 6 yrs. He will be highest paid defensive player all time.

3. Brooks' deal isn't bad, makes $2.85M in 2012, we can get out after 2 or 3 seasons, he also has a chance he wont meet the escalators, and his decreases.

Overall it was a good deal.

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
super mario is overated anyways.

Damn he had a bad hernia and tore his pectoral and was done. That is a hard muscle to rehab.

Not sure i would break the bank for a guy coming off two seasons which ended due to injury.

Brooks is a great value at thee 3-4 olb. He does his job well. We have the best LBs in football and probably the second best 3-4 front three (behing Balt).

Why break that up? It would be like trading Rodman from the Bulls after going for 72 wins.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM ]
Again guys on the board don't know Ahmad Brooks value. The guy is a stud. Watch the games again and watch him.

7.5 sacks, 11 tackles for loss, 3rd on the team in pressures.......he's a big part of the reason why teams can't run on us, plus he can play DE in the nickel too. Show me backers with the same stats. Do guys think that sacks are the only worth of a OLB? Brooks can cover as well.

I didn't even mention the fact that this was the first year of a new defense and it's Brooks first year as a starter. He's going to get better.

Mario Williams probably wouldn't fit in our scheme and he would have busted the bank way more than brooks.
I know I wanted Mario plus all the defensive guys back but Young2 is right. It's not a great idea to grab a guy coming off a huge injury
again and pay him big money. We know What Brooks can do and he's a hell of a lot cheaper than Mario would have been.
So if he's not what you expect him to be, then you have tied up a bunch of money and not much cap room to get other guys.
Share 49ersWebzone