LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Why did we sign brooks for so much $ instead of going after Mario Williams??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just a curious question, 44.5 million 17.5 guarenteed in a SIX year contract for Ahmad brooks?? I wouldve given that to mario williams for 5 years and added on 5million to get a guy of that talent..

Granted brooks had a good year, but last year was his 1 year of being a full time starter and then we throw a big deal at him??? pretty dissapointed IMO, in 5 games mario already had 5 sacks, brooks had 7 all year last year. not to mention Mario could be switching it at DE/OLB providing depth at both positions..
If I'm Mario Williams I'm strickly looking to join a team that plays the 4-3....better fit for him IMO...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Because Mario Williams will be the highest paid defender in the NFL in two weeks. No thanks.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Just a curious question, 44.5 million 17.5 guarenteed in a SIX year contract for Ahmad brooks?? I wouldve given that to mario williams for 5 years and added on 5million to get a guy of that talent..

Granted brooks had a good year, but last year was his 1 year of being a full time starter and then we throw a big deal at him??? pretty dissapointed IMO, in 5 games mario already had 5 sacks, brooks had 7 all year last year. not to mention Mario could be switching it at DE/OLB providing depth at both positions..
injered too often , that way , brooks played all 16 games .
I could be dead wrong, but I'm pretty sure Williams will probably get doube what Brooks got.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Because Mario Williams will be the highest paid defender in the NFL in two weeks. No thanks.

they said hes looking for 11-12 mill a year. with our 30mill cap space we coulda gotten A.Smith. Brooks. Williams all here and let rodgers walk

Please look up the actual numbers of his contract before posting. This is the maximum number reported by the agent. It is a much lower contract with escalators and de escalators. If Brooks hits the max number he will be an elite player and worthy of the contract, if he gets payed half of the amount, he will play good.

The cap number for 2012 is low, and only 8 million is guaranteed the first year, the next bonus money kicks in the future.
Williams will get more and it's not guaranteed that we will land him. If the front office really wanted him, they could still go after him. We are in great shape financially.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I could be dead wrong, but I'm pretty sure Williams will probably get doube what Brooks got.

QFT

/thread...

44.5 million/17.5 guaranteed was the AGENT's reported contract value. For all intents and purposes, the contract value is 37.5 million/7.5 million guaranteed. The rest of the "guaranteed money is tied up in various roster bonuses, and those are not really guaranteed, as they are not paid if you get cut/traded. Ahmad was a great value. Williams is worth a lot, and he will get paid more than he is worth (all premium free agents do).

people are still b***hing about Brooks' contract?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
44.5 million/17.5 guaranteed was the AGENT's reported contract value. For all intents and purposes, the contract value is 37.5 million/7.5 million guaranteed. The rest of the "guaranteed money is tied up in various roster bonuses, and those are not really guaranteed, as they are not paid if you get cut/traded. Ahmad was a great value. Williams is worth a lot, and he will get paid more than he is worth (all premium free agents do).

Like Wrathman says Brooks real value is at 37.5 while Williams who is a better DE then an OLB (all this season did was bolster his resume for a bigger pay day, showing he can play standing up as well as in the dirt.) Williams will probably end up with at least a base contract value of at least 45 or 50 mil before incentives.
havent we said a million times that we wont be going after any high priced FA this (or last) year. our defense is already elite as is. we can certainly upgrade by why throw so much money at one person when we are already outstanding.
We did just fine w/Brooks.
In what world do you really think Super Mario would agree to being paid similarly to Brooks? He is about to get a Haynesworth type contract. Not to mention we already have one of the best front 7's that will only get better as Aldon gets a full offseason to really learn the scheme. Or Bowman and Willis continuing to work on rushing the passer and only get better at blitzing.

No thanks, put that money towards the offense or Rogers, our front 7 is already beasting.
[ Edited by 5280High on Mar 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone