There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Deal Done for Ahmad Brooks (6yr @ $44.5 million)

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Paul:
he is worth $7 million a year??

He's 27 years old in the prime of his career and coming off a productive season. Good OLB's are not that easy to find, so its a good move to keep the band together.

Depends on Larry Grant. I really want him back, but he could start elsewhere.

Grant will not be back, somebody will give him starting job this year.

Then we'll be getting a LB in the 3rd to 5th rounds. Possibly two (inside and outside) depending on BPA.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Let's wait to see how it's loaded...it could be one of those contracts that look great on paper but are never realized.

Yes, this... and I would have been shocked for a smaller deal to have worked.

With the cap room we have, I would rather want some of these contracts to be front loaded and be cheaper when these guys turn 30, which is when we bring a younger guy on board to learn under the vet and we are not paying either very much. It will also give us better cap movement in 3 years years when we will need it the most.
Hehe, and everyone was bashing me in the Draft War Room about signing him up for 5 years/$32 million...

Look, as much as everyone thinks he's not worth it, look @ his production/age/health. Although this is his first year of starting every game, he's produced the past 3 years he's been with us, including a breakout year this year. He's 27 and hasn't had any serious injuries.

A lot of ppl forget how long we didn't have ANY OLBs and thought we should've switched to a 4-3 (I was one of them) b/c we didn't have the talent. Now, we HAVE the talent (young talent at that!) and we are just gonna let them walk? No way!!! Keep the front 7 strong and we'll be stout for years to come
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him

Let's wait to see how it's loaded...it could be one of those contracts that look great on paper but are never realized.

Looks like the Mock I just posted need to be adjusted, huh? Gladly, will do it. This is one of the best signings for us. Baalke's at it again! So now this looks like Carlos Rogers is the odd man out. I honestly thought that it would be Brooks.

Guess Baalke is taking care of his priorities for this team. Spillman and now Brooks. Speaks volumes, huh?
Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you jake,, i agree with you and susweet in regards to grant, would like to keep him but i am sure he will get some money and he knows he has no change to start with the crew in front of him

I don't think Grant is going to get a lot of play in Free Agency. Teams have already tested him out and let him go. Other teams will see this and slot him as a product of the system more than anything. But, he may take a similar deal on the sole basis of a chance to be a starter.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Looks like the Mock I just posted need to be adjusted, huh? Gladly, will do it. This is one of the best signings for us. Baalke's at it again! So now this looks like Carlos Rogers is the odd man out. I honestly thought that it would be Brooks.

Guess Baalke is taking care of his priorities for this team. Spillman and now Brooks. Speaks volumes, huh?

I still think Rogers will be back on a 3 year contract.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Thats great news, I wasnt so sure we would be able to bring him back
and i really wasnt a big fan of the 3-4 OLB free agents and draft class

Now we can grab a late round project as our 4th OLB, and/or resign Gooden who offers depth inside and outside
[ Edited by cools on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

He's 27 years old in the prime of his career and coming off a productive season. Good OLB's are not that easy to find, so its a good move to keep the band together.

Grant will not be back, somebody will give him starting job this year.

That's OK. I wasn't as high on him as many other here. He played well, but he was surounded by the best "other 6" in the NFL.

He will get a decent contract elsewhere and show why he was available to the 49ers for next to nothing last year.

If he does go, it might be good for the comp pick.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

To Sus's point, clearly they looked at the draft and thought Brooks was > than any of them. You dont give someone a contract like that if you are going to replace them.

-OR-

at pick 30, no-one could provide the immediate impact that Brooks could provide, and trading up would be prohibitively expensive. If this move happens, I think it shows us that CB will be our new area of need (which I think is perfect). I think we will allow Rogers to walk and get payed elsewhere. Our front 7 is sooo stacked that we can make pro-bowlers out of almost anyone, Culliver !?!

Also, with how the WRs are fairing in the late 1st round/early 2nd round, there should be several guys available between Randle, Hill, Sanu, Jeffrey, and others.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Jason La Canfora ‏ @JasonLaCanfora Reply Retweet Favorite · Open 49ers deep in talks with LB Ahmad Brooks. Deal expected soon in range of 5 years/$35M. He's 1 of many key free agents on D #insideslant

Ugh that's a lot of $

- Here are the Franchise Tag#s which are as good an estimator of value at any position as the next.
- Defensive end: $10.6 million (down from $13 million in 2011, $12.4 million in 2010)Players - Cliff Avril, Calais Campbell, Jason Jones, Mario Williams*, Robert Mathis
-Linebacker: $8.8 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $9.7 million in 2010)Players - Stephen Tulloch
-Even if you use the linebacker tag number we get him for $1.8 under the tag value of Linebacker. Considering he could be tagged at the end money depending. This is a bargain or a great bargain. He may not actually count $7m against the cap either since he signed a multi year deal. I agree with others who suggest that much of this money is tied in incentives which if he reaches then it is worth it.

-Also. Last time I checked we only have 3 OLBs on this team. We all love Aldon but only one of those 3 guys played every down this season.
Great news.

Just like Justin Smith, he was quietly one of the most consistent, productive, and versatile guys on the defense. He made alot of important plays that went unnoticed.

Plus I want him around next year to break Romo's ribs again!
Love it that we are working on a long term deal for Brooks! Keep this beastly D and especially the front 7 together.
[ Edited by Bootlegger on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cciowa:

I don't think Grant is going to get a lot of play in Free Agency. Teams have already tested him out and let him go. Other teams will see this and slot him as a product of the system more than anything. But, he may take a similar deal on the sole basis of a chance to be a starter.

well either way hes restricted so we'll give baalke another pick
I like the signing and would guess that only 10-12 million of this is guaranteed.

Regarding Grant - what if we gave him a 2nd round tender? What would that cost? I'd hate to see Grant go, but essentially trading him for a 2nd rounder would be acceptable.