There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What keeps the offense from begin elite

A few key additions coupled with another year building chemistry will improve this offense a lot. It isn't just "the receivers" or just the "quarterback." There are a few issues, but not as many as people may think. Crabs has produced more and more every year, and so has Alex.

We tend to forget that the 49ers only had weeks to implement a new offense with the shortened offseason.
Originally posted by Youngb:
A few key additions coupled with another year building chemistry will improve this offense a lot. It isn't just "the receivers" or just the "quarterback." There are a few issues, but not as many as people may think. Crabs has produced more and more every year, and so has Alex.

We tend to forget that the 49ers only had weeks to implement a new offense with the shortened offseason.

Crabs and Morgan have. Alex hasnt. Actually, he has produced less of one key category that gets him the 90 rating.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by niners94:
Part of the reason would be the defense. When you have an elite defense, sometimes it is best to play it safe. But they also need more speed to open up space for their playmakers.

An edumacated man... I likes...

Tell that to the 49ers superbowl teams. You can play it safe, but when there's an open receiver, one needs to make a play, fast receiver or not. Same goes for the receiver...when you are open, you need to make the catch IF/When it is thrown.

Thats the problem. Our guys arent quick or fast enough to get open. And if they are (VD), they are double teamed. We need a legit deep threat, not a decoy (Ginn).

This is a totally false statement and is getting to be the general theme on here because we covet a 6'5" 4.4 forty guy.

Crabs and Morgan's production proves they are fast and quick enough to get open. They are the only players on our offense who have increased there production from year to year better than anyone else on this offense.

Did you watch the NFC Championship game? Crabtree was not getting open. And Morgan has never been quick or fast. They are possession receivers. We need a burner. Besides Ginn, all of our guys are possession receivers.

Yeah, i saw Cruz get shut down in the second half because Rogers figured out his routes and I saw the other receivers practically get shut down to. But that doesnt make Manningham and the other WR slow.

BTW, one game doesn make Crabs slow. You dont get 900 yards on being thrown to less than almost any other receiver with similar stats by being slow. Also, coaches have repetedly talked about Morgans speed every year hea been here. They have said hes deceptively fast and he showed it this year.

A fast receiver will make it easier for Crabtree and Morgan to get open. When there isn't a deep threat, it compacts the defense towards the line of scrimmage. You need speed to stretch it out. You want dbs guessing if they're going deep or not. It adds an extra dimension for defenses to worry about.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I don't know how you can describe Edwards and Ginn as solid offensive players."

Edwards has proven he's more than a solid offensive player. His injury was what held him back. Ginn...well...he hasn't done anything consistent enough in terms of offense to warrant being a solid offensive player.

Edwards' injury doesn't mean he isn't a solid offensive player. In reality, he's actually an above average receiver who's capable of getting nearly 1300 yards with a QB that's playing at a top level.

Three NFL teams don't agree with you. And only one year has he got over 1,000 yards. I don't see how you can describe him as above average.

And when did his QB's produce? One year. Being on 3 teams doesn't mean anything depending on why he wasn't resigned or traded. TO was on 3 teams. Jeff Garcia was on 3 teams. Montana was on 2 teams...

Braylon Edwards showcased his ceiling with a 1283 yard season when Anderson was playing well. To say he isn't a solid receiver is not correct.

BTW, check out Santonio Holmes' production...very similar to Braylon's. But Holmes should also be considered not solid?

No.

3 teams have given up on Braylon. How many teams gave up on Montana? What was the point in bringing him in?

Braylon has gone over 1,000 yards once in eight years. Once. Nice work with the Braylonscuses. And yet you consider him above average. Well, he isnt. And he was a huge disappointment to us this last season. Whatever the reasons.

And he is history and thats it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Youngb:
A few key additions coupled with another year building chemistry will improve this offense a lot. It isn't just "the receivers" or just the "quarterback." There are a few issues, but not as many as people may think. Crabs has produced more and more every year, and so has Alex.

We tend to forget that the 49ers only had weeks to implement a new offense with the shortened offseason.

Crabs and Morgan have. Alex hasnt. Actually, he has produced less of one key category that gets him the 90 rating.


Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Are you saying Morgan and Crabs produced more than Alex this year?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I don't know how you can describe Edwards and Ginn as solid offensive players."

Edwards has proven he's more than a solid offensive player. His injury was what held him back. Ginn...well...he hasn't done anything consistent enough in terms of offense to warrant being a solid offensive player.

Edwards' injury doesn't mean he isn't a solid offensive player. In reality, he's actually an above average receiver who's capable of getting nearly 1300 yards with a QB that's playing at a top level.

Three NFL teams don't agree with you. And only one year has he got over 1,000 yards. I don't see how you can describe him as above average.

And when did his QB's produce? One year. Being on 3 teams doesn't mean anything depending on why he wasn't resigned or traded. TO was on 3 teams. Jeff Garcia was on 3 teams. Montana was on 2 teams...

Braylon Edwards showcased his ceiling with a 1283 yard season when Anderson was playing well. To say he isn't a solid receiver is not correct.

BTW, check out Santonio Holmes' production...very similar to Braylon's. But Holmes should also be considered not solid?

No.

3 teams have given up on Braylon. How many teams gave up on Montana? What was the point in bringing him in?

Braylon has gone over 1,000 yards once in eight years. Once. Nice work with the Braylonscuses. And yet you consider him above average. Well, he isnt. And he was a huge disappointment to us this last season. Whatever the reasons.

And he is history and thats it.

Your statement that he is not a solid WR is still false. Holmes' stats also declined when being thrown to by Sanchez but Holmes is still considered a better than average receiver. Braylon had a competent QB for only one year. Sorry, but his QB's have been

2005: Trent Dilfer: rookie year (512)
2006: Charlie Frye: Braylon (885) 2nd year in the league
2007: Derek Anderson: Braylon (1289) during Anderson's 3787 yard year
2008: Anderson(hurt)/Quinn: Braylon (873) (note: all QB's threw for 2537 yards)
2009: ColtMcCoy/Sanchez: Braylon 680 yards (541 on a new team 5 games into the season with a rookie QB)
2010: Sanchez (3191): Braylon, once again, leading receiver with 904

Not sure what you are seeing.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Youngb:
A few key additions coupled with another year building chemistry will improve this offense a lot. It isn't just "the receivers" or just the "quarterback." There are a few issues, but not as many as people may think. Crabs has produced more and more every year, and so has Alex.

We tend to forget that the 49ers only had weeks to implement a new offense with the shortened offseason.

Crabs and Morgan have. Alex hasnt. Actually, he has produced less of one key category that gets him the 90 rating.


Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Are you saying Morgan and Crabs produced more than Alex this year?

I'm talking about an increase in production from year to year.
Two Words: Alex Smith
Originally posted by montana4ever:
Two Words: Alex Smith

What is funny that most think better WR's = better Alex. Compare the WR's from 2006 to the WR's in 2011. The WR's we had in 2011 are much better (more talented) than the WR's from 2006.

Alex Smith: similar yards, similar TD's,...lower INTs.

My gut tells me the lower INTs have little to do with the WR's.
Originally posted by Method:
LOL

Joe still talking about our WR's being elite but only being held back by our QB? so delusional


Yes, and that is why Jim Harbaugh has said our WRs are elite! Oh, wait...

That is why Jim Harbaugh called Crabtree clutch! Oh, wait...

That is why Jim Harbaugh gave the playbook to the WRs and asked them to have an unofficial TC last year! Oh, wait...

That is why Crabtree was in the top 10 of WRs in the league! Oh, wait!

Some like to say, "Evidence to the contrary, I will believe what I want to believe!"
Merge to Alex Smith thread
Originally posted by Joecool:
What is funny that most think better WR's = better Alex. Compare the WR's from 2006 to the WR's in 2011. The WR's we had in 2011 are much better (more talented) than the WR's from 2006.

Alex Smith: similar yards, similar TD's,...lower INTs.

My gut tells me the lower INTs have little to do with the WR's.

in terms on nfl one of the better comp % 16th in YPA while having highest drop %
or 11 dropped TD passes

and since you truly believe for some reason we have good WR im not going to give that as a poing

but 1st year in WCO without an offseason

cant find the quote but mike holgrem said it takes 3 years to master WCO

and as marvin posted earlier eince raye was fired something like 35 TD and like 10 int or something like that
This is an easy question... Alex!
ok lets take the qb out of it

out of all the offenses you see in history of nfl

how many offenses (or defenses) have been elite when they implement so many new offenses so often (every year) let alone a new offseason

i would love an answer
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
ok lets take the qb out of it

out of all the offenses you see in history of nfl

how many offenses (or defenses) have been elite when they implement so many new offenses so often (every year) let alone a new offseason

i would love an answer

This. Patience