There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What keeps the offense from begin elite

Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Im a alex smith fan all the way. hes our QB of our team But just saying this...

Imagine if we brought in Philip Rivers and let brooks and 1 other guy go. then grab a FA WR and draft 1??

QBPhillip Rivers. RB Gore/Hunter WR/Free Agent WR/Crabtree/ WR Morgan/ WR 1st RD Pick/ TE/Vernon Davis/Walker

Then our Defense of pwillis, Bowman, Aldon, Justin, RayMac, Rodgers, Dashon, Whitner, Cullliver. I mean that is just a wrecking ball.
How the hell are we supposed to get Philip Rivers???
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Im a alex smith fan all the way. hes our QB of our team But just saying this...

Imagine if we brought in Philip Rivers and let brooks and 1 other guy go. then grab a FA WR and draft 1??

QBPhillip Rivers. RB Gore/Hunter WR/Free Agent WR/Crabtree/ WR Morgan/ WR 1st RD Pick/ TE/Vernon Davis/Walker

Then our Defense of pwillis, Bowman, Aldon, Justin, RayMac, Rodgers, Dashon, Whitner, Cullliver. I mean that is just a wrecking ball.
How the hell are we supposed to get Philip Rivers???

i have no idea, would be awesome though to have him.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Alex nuf said .

Yup..I hate those QBs that rank in the top 10 despite their WRs dropping more passes per att. than any other team with a winning record while getting more pressure than 2/3rd of the NFL QBs.

Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs. Aside from QBR, which he is barely in the top 10, there isnt a single measurable statistic that Alex ranks in the top 10 in. Thats like saying Jose Calderon is a top 10 free throw shooter, so he is a top 10 NBA point guard.
Elite doesn't mean perfect. Every team can get beter in every phase. You have to play the hand you're dealt and or coaches did great with what they had. At the end we had terrible WR production and no KO/PR people. Essentially, Alex was throwing to Vernon and that was 99it. So DCoordinators focused on our runnning game and had single coverage on or WR.

To me an elite team will always be considered a no-brainer SBowl contender and not a surprise team. Elite teams are "Proven." So, using that as a guage the current elite teams are the Pats, Ravens, Packers, Giants, Saints AND I'm sure I missed some team.

For us to be considered 'Elite" we:

a). Must improve RG. Snyder made an immediate improvement BUT it is still not enough.
b). Get receivers who can get seperation - 1 TE, 2 WR [Morgan's return will be a boost and FA & Draft should supply the rest.]
c). Get 1 more Pass Rusher [Right now they double team Justin and sometimes Aldon BUT they can't double team 3 guys]
d). Get another cover CB [Much easier said than done]

Overall I grae our team an "A" and Coaches an "A+"
ask this question at the end of the year after an actuall offseason in the same offense for first time in a while
Alex nuf said .

Yup..I hate those QBs that rank in the top 10 despite their WRs dropping more passes per att. than any other team with a winning record while getting more pressure than 2/3rd of the NFL QBs.
ball placement has a lot to do with dropped passes. fact
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs. Aside from QBR, which he is barely in the top 10, there isnt a single measurable statistic that Alex ranks in the top 10 in. Thats like saying Jose Calderon is a top 10 free throw shooter, so he is a top 10 NBA point guard.

come on now bro lol... Quarter Back Rating has alot to do with the position. that is telling you how accurate and completions etc the quarterback is.. Free Throws to a quarterback is more like how good he is at avoiding a sack i suppose? i dont know but free throws to QBR... lol

im expecting a 3.5k+ yard performance 25tds 10 ints from smith this next year
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for 80sbaby24.

come on now bro lol... Quarter Back Rating has alot to do with the position. that is telling you how accurate and completions etc the quarterback is.. Free Throws to a quarterback is more like how good he is at avoiding a sack i suppose? i dont know but free throws to QBR... lol

Im not going to argue with your expectations. I hope you are correct.

Maybe QBR and FT% was not a good comparison, but my point stands. One top 10 QB statistic doesnt make a top 10 QB. Can Alex get there one day? With Harbaugh molding him....it could definitely happen. But he isnt there yet, and he definitely wasnt there last year.
I just think our offensive players need more time and maybe a better replacement for Delanie (dude just isn't tall enough for TE), RG or Center. Other than that, Alex, Vernon, Crabs, Morgan, Williams, Gore, Hunter, and Miller is a lot of talent on offense.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

nope

dropped passes that are recorded are 100% on reciever

this is according to sando who said we have the highest drop % in nfl
Its so comical to me that some posters continually say Alex ranks in the top 10 QBs.

Why it bothers you so much is the bigger issue. Just which team do you support anyway?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

nope

dropped passes that are recorded are 100% on reciever

this is according to sando who said we have the highest drop % in nfl

We did drop a lot of "easy" passes but our guys also caught a lot of hard ones.

At the same time, our QB missed a lot of wide open TD passes.

It's all give and take.
First thing is that you have to consider that as a team we were running a new offense without the normal OTA's and offseason. Second I believe the team was building confidence in Alex and didn't want to put the game squarely on his shoulders, plus the players themselves have admitted they were learning the offense throughout the year. But as the season went on we saw more of the playbook and I believe it will continue and grow into this year.

*Considered this:
-We are a running team whether you like it or not (we live and die by the running game plain and simple)
-We are not Green Bay or New England and will not put up points like them (this isn't Madden football)
-Morgan went down (Smith's second favorite target)
-Our WR's drop to many balls that are catchable (it's sad how many missed BIG plays we had this year)
-O-line had some growth pains in the beginning of the season (looked pretty good toward the end though)

The coaches will give Smith more chances to shine this year. They will open up the playbook more. FINALLY a season with the same offense. OTA's. Full off season. A WR in free agency and one or more in the draft. The offense will improve this year. BOOK IT!

Im not going to argue with your expectations. I hope you are correct.

Maybe QBR and FT% was not a good comparison, but my point stands. One top 10 QB statistic doesnt make a top 10 QB. Can Alex get there one day? With Harbaugh molding him....it could definitely happen. But he isnt there yet, and he definitely wasnt there last year.

i just hope we get kaepernick in the game and see what we have in him if hes going to be molding behind smith... If Smiths not the guy, im really hoping we have the right guy sitting behind him and not another bust.. quicker we find out what Kaep has and if hes better or worse than our guy alex, the quicker we can find a guy to sit behind alex smith... Even if alex is the guy for the next 4-5 years and get us a Superbowl theres no problem with having a guy behind him.. could do a Matt Flynn/Kevin kolb type deal to get draft #'s or even pull a new england where Ryan mallett is just hanging out.. i dont know how well hes been doing with the patriots though.
Alex nuf said .

God forbid the ball hits them in the hands.