• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
a) offensive line is below avg
b) best offensive weapon (VD) is inconsistent game to game
c) no good WRs, and definitely no dangerous WRs
d) RB is good, but no longer great
e) lack of elite QB

yeah, i think mostly e), but everything else as well, sums it up. BTW, listing Ginn and Bruce Miller (both great players in their specialty) as offensive weapons, tells you exactly how much our offensive talent is lacking
Sad, but true lot's of missing pieces. While he improved a lot under Harbaugh, Alex Smith is never going to be an elite QB. Zoners have a habit of way over rating 49er players.
Avg but improving ol
avg but improving qb
avg wrs at best

vd very good. Gore still good but eceryone else on offense avg to above avg at best
Too many WR drops
Unable to convert 3rd downs
Inefficient in the red zone
inconsistent OL blocking & blitz pickup (includes QB not getting the ball out to a receiver fast enough to take advantage of the reduced coverage)
Only problem I have with play calling is in the Red Zone where they consistently ran the ball into a stacked D. The trick plays often work even when they don't gain yards because the D has to take note.

Weapons? Weapons? An inconsistent VD and erratic Crabtree were the only receiving weapons, though I would have liked to have seen more passes to Miller and Hunter to take some pressure off the OLine. With Morgan out Smith lost the only WR he had good experience with, and that says it all. They need to have five solid WRs going into next year to assure an elite passing game.

OLine was a leaky faucet for sacks in most games (against teams with a decent rush). That may be the most important area to repair. RG and C could be upgraded by bringing in a vet RG so Snyder can back up both spots (if signed). The middle of the line collapsed too often last year and no offense can be elite without protection for the QB. The number of times Smith had less than two seconds to throw the ball was ridiculous.

QB played better than most expected and well enough to win up to and including the playoffs. Is he one of the elite QBs? Not yet but he may become one, and for now is good enough to win a championship. Two ST fumbles from the super bowl and they very well could have beaten NE in the super bowl...with this QB.

In stead of being grumpy and sad about last season people should sit back and accept the fact that it was a turn around year and very successful. Bodes well for the next five or ten years.

Edit--by solid WRs I mean five guys who know all the routes and plays, not five elite players. I doubt that any of our WRs had the plays down last year, unless it was Morgan who was injured early.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:23 AM ]
Im a alex smith fan all the way. hes our QB of our team But just saying this...

Imagine if we brought in Philip Rivers and let brooks and 1 other guy go. then grab a FA WR and draft 1??

QBPhillip Rivers. RB Gore/Hunter WR/Free Agent WR/Crabtree/ WR Morgan/ WR 1st RD Pick/ TE/Vernon Davis/Walker

Then our Defense of pwillis, Bowman, Aldon, Justin, RayMac, Rodgers, Dashon, Whitner, Cullliver. I mean that is just a wrecking ball.
e) lack of elite QB

yeah, i think mostly e), but everything else as well, sums it up. BTW, listing Ginn and Bruce Miller (both great players in their specialty) as offensive weapons, tells you exactly how much our offensive talent is lacking
exactly
  • titan
  • Veteran
Elite Players!
e) lack of elite QB

I agree.But I dont think our WR's are that bad. We definitely can add on superstar WR. Lacking mostly e), is one of the main reasons. You look at WR's Pierre Garcon, I doubt he would put up numbers like that without Peyton coming here.
Need a solid wr to put opposite of Crabtree that is good enough to push Morgan to 3rd wr and a stud RG.
Crappy wide outs who can't get separation, and a QB to scared to throw to anyone not all alone!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Que Bee
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Continuity, chemistry & very good WRs'

Thank you. Saves me from reading through any further.

THIS..
In General,
1)Playmaker(not named V.Davis on offense (Braylon was hurt, Crab was hurt, Ginn cant catch, Morgan got hurt, Williams gets no PT)
2) Starter Caliber at every postition on the O-Line (Snyder is an ok stop gap but Anthony Davis only plays as good as the guy next to him for some reason)
3)"Lack of screens to hunter, we all know what he does in space
4) Not being able to score RZ TDs
5)Shutdown Corner
6)Conistency (THis will be fixed during OTCs)
The best things about it all, everybody is getting better and everything we dont have will be filled soon.
Alex nuf said .
Originally posted by cNiner:
Alex nuf said .

Yup..I hate those QBs that rank in the top 10 despite their WRs dropping more passes per att. than any other team with a winning record while getting more pressure than 2/3rd of the NFL QBs.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone