There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Dixon Replacement?

Hillis seems like a Harbaugh type of player to me.
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm not so sure Gore has two big years left in him. He seemed pretty beat up this year and I think they have to start thinking about drafting his heir apparent in the next year or so. Hunter is a great change of pace guy and pass protected a lot better than I thought he would, but he's not going to be the main mail carrier.

Next year. We can take a gamble with a late pick or a couple UDFAs this year just to see if we strike gold. But rb's take little development time and usually hit the ground, running.

Next year's second round pick.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm not so sure Gore has two big years left in him. He seemed pretty beat up this year and I think they have to start thinking about drafting his heir apparent in the next year or so. Hunter is a great change of pace guy and pass protected a lot better than I thought he would, but he's not going to be the main mail carrier.

Next year. We can take a gamble with a late pick or a couple UDFAs this year just to see if we strike gold. But rb's take little development time and usually hit the ground, running.

Next year's second round pick.

The way we draft, I think if there is RB we think is a stud lingering around we will snatch him up.

Dixon is a good ST player and brings in heart.
Originally posted by greywolf447:
Doug Martin RB from BSU! I think that he would be the perfect RB for our offense!!!

I truly expect Baalke to find another back in the draft. Gore again demonstrated he can't be health all season and Dixon, unfortunately, has not stepped up when needed. They're have been too many short yardage plays where he couldn't capitalize on the moment even at his size. Too bad because I like him a lot. Results are what's needed.

Therefore, I can see Baalke going after another back to compete against all four. I believe Martin also played STs, no? At his size, he reminds me of Frank. He can also catch out of the backfield well. As far as blocking skills, he will have the best RB coach to teach such things.

There's a reason why Dixon was picked. He has some abilities. Who knows, we may keep him for ST because he does really well there.

Intrigue for sure, though, in the RB ranks this year.
What about picking up Michael Bush from Oakland?
Dixon is a likeable person who needs to be replaced immediately due to a subpar skill set and the combination of old and lightweight legs ahead of him. Gore could give out at any time. Best case, there is a high likelihood he'll end up missing several games with injuries. Hunter is a change-of-pace guy ill-suited to the bell cow role, and Dixon is nowhere near good enough to step up. We can't afford to wait. We need to draft a meaty "main guy" prospect RB somewhere in rounds 3-5.
Originally posted by Juggernaut49erFan:
What about picking up Michael Bush from Oakland?

Gore/Bush/Hunter



Wont happen doe, lol
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Dixon is a likeable person who needs to be replaced immediately due to a subpar skill set and the combination of old and lightweight legs ahead of him. Gore could give out at any time. Best case, there is a high likelihood he'll end up missing several games with injuries. Hunter is a change-of-pace guy ill-suited to the bell cow role, and Dixon is nowhere near good enough to step up. We can't afford to wait. We need to draft a meaty "main guy" prospect RB somewhere in rounds 3-5.

I know it's a rarity for guys his size to become bell cow backs, but Hunter is almost exactly the same size/weight as MJD and hasn't even had an offseason of nfl level conditioning. Westbrook also had several solid years as a 200 carry back. Ray rice is only 12 pounds heavier with a similar frame.

Worst case scenario, Gore gets hurt and misses "several games" like you said, Hunter has already shown he can provide at least a short term solution with carries of 12 up to 16 in the last few weeks(over a season that's 200+). Can he take the pounding over a whole season? Who knows. But the coaching staff has shown they already have confidence in him.

So with that said, Blount and Hillis= undrafted(Blount) and a very late round flier pick(hillis). Why such a hurry? Grab a RB late for now and we might as well keep dixon. Then let Dixon battle with the undrafted/late round guy in camp and if he gets beat then he gets beat. If dixon earns his spot then he can still give us some cheerleading and solid special team play, occasionally going in redzone running duty if gore goes down. I'd rather take my time then when the problem really arises(gore goes down for good) use a 3rd or something on a replacement for gore.

"dixon replacement" should read "gore replacement", why would dixon need to be replaced? And for now, Gore played his first 16 game season since the 06-07 season and seems to be showing that if he has someone like Hunter taking carries from him he can last and stay healthy. There simply is no reason to get all paranoid.
I can't believe this thread is still going. He is our 3rd string RB.

If we don't have Adrian Peterson as our 3rd string people are wanting the guy replaced.

Dixon does exactly what he is asked. He is mostly a ST guy and performs well. Gore and Hunter are our main options at RB.
Originally posted by thechamber52:
I can't believe this thread is still going. He is our 3rd string RB.

If we don't have Adrian Peterson as our 3rd string people are wanting the guy replaced.

Dixon does exactly what he is asked. He is mostly a ST guy and performs well. Gore and Hunter are our main options at RB.

And Gore is approaching the end of his career and Hunter is not viewed as an every down back. Hence the thread. Our 3rd string back could be the main man rather quicker than we would like.
I think Gore is done. .. lets not hold on to him too long.. the guy sold us out against the Giants... he didn't know what to do and played scarred all game long.. I would draft (x-9er back) Wendell Tyler's son in the 3rd round.. I see him being a very good back in this league..

Remember, u heard it here first..
  • pfizz
  • Member
  • Posts: 171
Why do people instantly cancel Hunter out as a primary back? The little guy is a play maker. Is it because of his size? I'm pretty sure MJD and Ray Rice have something to say about that.

RR 5'8 212
MJD 5'7 208
KH 5'7 200
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by pfizz:
Why do people instantly cancel Hunter out as a primary back? The little guy is a play maker. Is it because of his size? I'm pretty sure MJD and Ray Rice have something to say about that.

RR 5'8 212
MJD 5'7 208
KH 5'7 200
That's what I'm saying lol. People look at lighter weight guys like Bush or Best and see how many injuries those guys take over their careers and assume it's the reality for all sub-215 pound backs to be unable to take the pounding.

The fact is Hunter is smaller framed than both of those guys so he's not only able to hide himself and have a lower center of gravity, but he's also just not as lanky as those guys(3 inches shorter than Best, 4 shorter than Bush).

Tell me if he looks like a guy who is just a "change of pace back"? And this is before he gets involved in a NFL level conditioning program:


First thing Baalke says is they feel he's not just a change of pace back.