There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

• ak49
I'd really like to see us bring Ginn back. He was poor as a WR, but the impact he had on special teams providing a team w/ hardly any offense great field position was phenomenal and cannot be understated.
He singularly gave the niner offense a chance to atleast get a FG.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
At this point, I don't think their doing what they planned. Unless the plan is to use every single draft pick on a wr in the up coming draft we won't be improving at this position.

You do realize that good players get cut after free agency begins, right?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
At this point, I don't think their doing what they planned. Unless the plan is to use every single draft pick on a wr in the up coming draft we won't be improving at this position.

You do realize that good players get cut after free agency begins, right?

I realize players who are being over paid get cut after free agency begins.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM ]
Chaz Schillens is coming to visit . . .

https://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/179715571418542081

Too bad he's not a top WR
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Chaz Schillens is coming to visit . . .

https://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows/status/179715571418542081

Too bad he's not a top WR
oh boy
Well, all but one of the true # 1 WR are now gone, except wallace, unless he went just in last hour. manningham would be welcome, but he isn't going to get the $$$ he wants here, nor would he be our #1. I have already given a way for us to get wallace for a net incr of $4 mil/ yr but would mean giving up crbtree.. Right now i don't see that happening, in that wRs are really bringing in the bucks. Reggie wade, colston, vince jackson, brandon lloyd, plus i missed a few. wallace or nothing it looks like.
The Cox signing was revealing in that it sent a message to Ginn and obviously Carlos, who then went and signed 4 yrs for half of vincent jackson $44 mil. Our guys, baalke and Coach are counting their sheckels and are going to drive a value bargain. Right now, I am really hoping for Fleener, as we need that hands man, and that kid has them. With Tannehill and a few others moving up, it looks like there is a bettter chance we may have a shot at fleener at pick #30.

We still have 7 rds to bring in some WRs maybe 2 or 3, plus a bevy of UDFAs, and i am counting on Harbaugh to know those wRs better than 31 other HCs. i hope we see 7,8, 9 WRs in camp, on and off team, fighting for a spot. It just seems fortune would smile on us and bring us a gem...or two, and who knows, maybe a high#2, or maybe we get 3 high #2s, but I bet the farm that whoever makes the team, he has good hands , knows how to fake, and can get separation. Also he will be good on slants and outs, and will get open. He additionally will be RZ dependable target. It appears we may NOT get the #1 wR we all thot we needed, but maybe Coach figures with fleener and 2 or 3 other hands guys, we will be playing with 3 or 4 #2s, no #1, and maybe 3 TEs with good hands. That'd work for me. Wish it were the other , but coach knows what we need and will get it one way or the other without breaking the bank.

ThankGod we aren't the REdskins, pulling off a Herschel Walker deal, guaranteeing a ruined franchise there, plus making a Rams team a force to be reckoned with in the next couple yrs. That would have killed us, 3 1st rd picks to get #2 pick for the #6 pick, plus a couple #3s or 2s. Thinking about it that way, i can sleep ok tonite.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Harbaugh also said Alex should be a Pro-Bowler......things people say

The 49ers are going to continue to play Harbaugh's offense which is a heavy-set formation based offense, with lots of 2 -TE and BIG sets, meaning you're not going to have a lot of use for 5 WR's...or even 4 WR's........so paying guys to sit on the bench and collect splinters in their ass isn't a wise use of salary cap money. Last year 49ers got screwed over because of the Morgan injury. If they can re-sign him, add a couple guys through the draft along with the addition of Moss their offense will already be tremendously improved from where it was last season.

Harbaugh runs an unpredictable offense for the most part. They used four WRs at times last year but were down to guys off the street, which is why you need good back ups. With Morgan and Edwards off the field last year the WRs became very anemic, and I don't see Harbaugh standing for that this year.

But I agree that they do not need to go after big names (especially as most are already gone). They need a bunch of guys who can attend mini-camps and a full TC to get acclimated to the offense. Last year was pretty brutal but the 9ers did extremely well outpacing expectations. WR was the one area with huge problems mostly because of the injuries already enumerated.

As far as Moss goes, it is a cheap experiment and I would hope the 9ers have five guys who can also play well in case he is cut.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:35 AM ]
Santana Moss is on his way out in Washington....

Just saying.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Santana Moss is on his way out in Washington....

Just saying.

To be honest I wouldn't mind signing him. He would be good in the slot and has some PR experience as well. Would be an upgrade over kyle williams.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
So much for that
gotta love Danny Snyder, trading his team's 3 yr future for RG3, signed a #1 WR, and then overpaid Morgan. OOps, he forgot one thing. The OL. I wonder how good RG3 is going to be throwing not off his back leg but on his back. I noted alex threw poorly for 5 yrs when lying on his back and odds are RG will get to experience that for 4 yrs or more, which is what it will take to get an OL to protect him. Sad to see morgan go as he was a good #2. Now we got the guy with the 5th highest salary on the team as a #3(or #4) and a question mark #4 or #5 in Moss, who may just grossly outplay our #3 , craps. Then we have kyle who has a lot to make up for and may just do that as WR ONLY, not a PR. Kyle does have good moves and can get open. He holds the ball much better as a WR than he does PR. Put him down as #4 or #5 with moss., maybe even craps. Nonetheless, it appears we are going to go on Coach's and baalke's wisdom with wRs in draft, as we desperately need a #1 and #2, maybe a # 5. What we may very well get is 3 or 4 # 2 and # 3s, but THEY ALL ARE GOING TO HAVE GOOD HANDS and are GOING TO KNOW HOW TO GET OPEN(ie, fakes, comebackers, stop and goes, etc...you know, the jerry rice book of how to play WR).

Right now my money would be on Fleener as a second #1 TE, who along with Walker would be awesom..and dangerous. Plus, like vernon, plug him in as WR on some plays. I am certain in draft B&H are going to know college WRs a lot better than the other 31 coaches so they are planning to draft 2 or 3 WRs and bring a passel more of them into camp as UDFAs. Just betting, but i look for no less than or 9 WRs brot into TC. Also as I have laid out before, the door is not shut on making a run at wallace, but that would require trading craps and his $5mil/yr (hard to believe,no?) salary elsewhere and then using that extra $5 mil plus an additional $ 4 mil toward Wallaces salary for two yrs. That would mean giving up our 1st pick, #30 overall, but i would do it in a heartbeat. Then we would have wallace , moss, and kyle. Drafting 3 or 4 Wrs would be paramount, but i would trust Coach on who to pick. We would need a bunch in camp, however,many UDFAs.

We got the OL(minus an OG) but the big Swede from Seahawks is on the market, so he is a possiblity if $$ were right (Hutchinson). Otherwise, there are a fair # of OL in mid rounds. We have basically preserved the #1 D. NOw we have to trust B& H to get us WR talent in draft, a tall order. Essentialy we need 4 starters. Ouch.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
gotta love Danny Snyder, trading his team's 3 yr future for RG3, signed a #1 WR, and then overpaid Morgan. OOps, he forgot one thing. The OL. I wonder how good RG3 is going to be throwing not off his back leg but on his back. I noted alex threw poorly for 5 yrs when lying on his back and odds are RG will get to experience that for 4 yrs or more, which is what it will take to get an OL to protect him. Sad to see morgan go as he was a good #2. Now we got the guy with the 5th highest salary on the team as a #3(or #4) and a question mark #4 or #5 in Moss, who may just grossly outplay our #3 , craps. Then we have kyle who has a lot to make up for and may just do that as WR ONLY, not a PR. Kyle does have good moves and can get open. He holds the ball much better as a WR than he does PR. Put him down as #4 or #5 with moss., maybe even craps. Nonetheless, it appears we are going to go on Coach's and baalke's wisdom with wRs in draft, as we desperately need a #1 and #2, maybe a # 5. What we may very well get is 3 or 4 # 2 and # 3s, but THEY ALL ARE GOING TO HAVE GOOD HANDS and are GOING TO KNOW HOW TO GET OPEN(ie, fakes, comebackers, stop and goes, etc...you know, the jerry rice book of how to play WR).

Right now my money would be on Fleener as a second #1 TE, who along with Walker would be awesom..and dangerous. Plus, like vernon, plus him in as WR on some plays. I am certain in draft B&H are going to know college WRs a lot better than the other 31 coaches so they are planning to draft 2 or 3 WRs and bring a passel of them into camp as UDFAs. Just betting, but i look for no less than or 9 WRs brot into TC. Also as I have laid out befor, the door is not shut on making a run at wallace, but that would require trading craps and his $5mil/yr (hard to believe,no?) salary elsewhere and then using that extra $5 mil plus an additional $ 4 mil toward Wallaces salary for two yrs. That would mean giving up our 1st pick, #30 overall, but i would do it in a heartbeat. Then we would have wallace , moss, and kyle. Drafting 3 or 4 Wrs would be paramount, but i would trust Coach on who to pick. We would need a bunch in camp, however,many UDFAs.

We got the OL(minus an OG) but the big Swede from Seahawks is on the market, so he is a possiblity if $$ were right (Hutchinson. Otherwise, there are a fair # of OL in mid rounds. We have basically preserved the #1 D. NOw we have to trust B& H to get us talent in draft, a tall order. Essentialy we need 4 starters. Ouch.

we wont get Fleener bud
jreff, looking at current top 32 players, guys like tannehill have moved up, along with 3 or 4 others and while i thot fleener would be gone initially, i think we will have a shot at him. No way of knowing but as other guys have gone up the board, i think our chances at fleener have gone from 50/50 to 80/20. Not a lock, but better chances. If gone, then we either try the wallace deal i laid out above for craps, our we go into draft with baalke and coach with superior knowledge about WRs in the mid and lower rds, plus as noted above, 8 or 9 UDFAs in camp and I bet anything 3 or more will stick. Maybe a 4th or 5th WR to go with our piddling few.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
jreff, looking at current top 32 players, guys like tannehill have moved up, along with 3 or 4 others and while i thot fleener would be gone initially, i think we will have a shot at him. No way of knowing but as other guys have gone up the board, i think our chances at fleener have gone from 50/50 to 80/20. Not a lock, but better chances. If gone, then we either try the wallace deal i laid out above for craps, our we go into draft with baalke and coach with superior knowledge about WRs in the mid and lower rds, plus as noted above, 8 or 9 UDFAs in camp and I bet anything 3 or more will stick. Maybe a 4th or 5th WR to go with our piddling few.

1. I don't see Fleener sitting at 30
2. I doubt we take a TE when we have a young healthy monster in Davis
3. If we wont break the bank for a FA, we wont break the bank on a RFA where money and picks are forfeited
4. I full expect a WR taken in either the 1st or 2nd round
Lol at the idea of cutting crabtree.... If moss can't perform than we're stuck with Williams who probably just fumbled again