LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
If we put this much money into our wr corp, which I think we can do, we won't be able to replace Rogers. I know we will have a pretty decent drop off from a cbs standpoint, and the fact that we play great qbs this year....and possibly in the playoffs and sb, that could be where we lose. We can sign a Wallace for 9-10 mil, but our secondary will take a hit......I vote for secondary to,take a hit bc we have a good pass rush, but the minute we play a good ol in the playoffs or sb we could get exposed bc we will not be able to keep up,scoring with Alex and company. Hopefully Alex improves with moss and another year in the offense and we get a sb

It makes absolutely no sense for a run-oriented team to blow a fortune on wide receivers,its like buying a Lamborghini for your daily commute. In anycase, a WR corps of Crabtree, Moss, Morgan, rookie A, Kyle Williams, rookie B is already tremendously improved from last year. If they can pick up another mid-tier guy like Laurent Robinson, then they will be doing very well for themselves indeed.

But don't get it confused, this team isn't going to be lighting up scoreboards and throwing for 400 yards a game, defense and ball control is still the bread and butter, so as long as they have 3 competent WR's, especially considering how often they run a 2 TE set, and maybe a rookie or two developing, they'll be good to go.

I would gladly take Rogers over any WR on the market. A good CB who can ably defend slot receivers is infinitely more valuable than a WR, especially considering how many top WR's are found in late rounds. Regardless of pass-rush, you still need quality defensive backs and Rogers was an integral part of this defense last year. Add as many receivers as you want, this team will still never be the Saints, keep subtracting defenders and you limit how far they can go.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
We are NOT a run oriented team. even harbaugh said he wants a 50/50 mix of pass and run. The only reason we were run oriented last season is because alex didnt have any real weapons except VD. Even crabtree wasnt reliable. sometimes
Originally posted by THEB:
We are NOT a run oriented team. even harbaugh said he wants a 50/50 mix of pass and run. The only reason we were run oriented last season is because alex didnt have any real weapons except VD. Even crabtree wasnt reliable. sometimes

Harbaugh also said Alex should be a Pro-Bowler......things people say

The 49ers are going to continue to play Harbaugh's offense which is a heavy-set formation based offense, with lots of 2 -TE and BIG sets, meaning you're not going to have a lot of use for 5 WR's...or even 4 WR's........so paying guys to sit on the bench and collect splinters in their ass isn't a wise use of salary cap money. Last year 49ers got screwed over because of the Morgan injury. If they can re-sign him, add a couple guys through the draft along with the addition of Moss their offense will already be tremendously improved from where it was last season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:03 AM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
and thats exactly what theyre doing, but to say this is a run oriented team makes me think you didnt watch most of the second half of the season when they actually knew the playbook and were definitely a pass first team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Harbaugh also said Alex should be a Pro-Bowler......things people say

The 49ers are going to continue to play Harbaugh's offense which is a heavy-set formation based offense, with lots of 2 -TE and BIG sets, meaning you're not going to have a lot of use for 5 WR's...or even 4 WR's........so paying guys to sit on the bench and collect splinters in their ass isn't a wise use of salary cap money. Last year 49ers got screwed over because of the Morgan injury. If they can re-sign him, add a couple guys through the draft along with the addition of Moss their offense will already be tremendously improved from where it was last season.

Crabtree, Fleener, Davis, Moss, Gore in backfield. If we got Carl Nicks at RG I think that might be 9er talk's wet dream lol.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Crabtree, Fleener, Davis, Moss, Gore in backfield. If we got Carl Nicks at RG I think that might be 9er talk's wet dream lol.

crabtree + moss aint enough at wr
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

crabtree + moss aint enough at wr

I know, that's just a starting line up/2 TE set. I'm not sure who else at WR, probably Marvin Jones, Kyle Williams, and a guy like Eddie Royal? A Pierre Garcon wouldn't be bad but he might make bank.
If Crabtree and Moss are our starters week one next season i will be so disapointed with this offseason...
If Crabtree and Moss are our starters week one next season i will be so disapointed with this offseason...
adding Moss is not enough especially if we lose Morgan they still need 2 make a move on a guy like Meachem or draft a wide receiver it scares me 2 think that both Moss & Crabtree can possibly be our starting wide outs week one

My thoughts:

Too many people thinking he will be the #2 WR in on most passing plays and that just doesn't seem likely. We still have free agency and the draft. Our final roster won't be Crabtree, Moss and Williams. We will probably be picking up another two, maybe 3 WRs which may include bringing back Morgan and/or Ginn. If we draft someone high it's unlikely we will have them sit behind Moss.
  • vaden
  • Veteran

50/50 is run-oriented for this league. Only 4 other teams ran 50+% of the time. Most teams pass on about 60% of their plays. At Stanford, even with Luck, Harbaugh chose to run 58% of the time. Everything we've heard about Baalke indicates he's an old school GM who wants to run a lot. That could wrong, but I doubt it. We'll see.
sign moss and morgan = 2 top wrs to 49ers
I like phoenix's comparison to Billy Beane ball. It is looking like the 9ers playbook on draft and FA.

Guapo, my man, here is where I wondered about cutting (or trading) #15, and his $5mil/yr salary and then using that extra $5mil/yr to put toward Wallace's salary for two yrs.

This a) gives us our #1 WR, and doesn't break the bank , tho we do lose CRbtree's services and
b) allows us to get Wallace for only an additional $4mil/yr , by saving $5mil/yr which would have been paid out to crbtree.
Yes we do lose our #2 WR(or #3 or whatever he is rated at), but already we have Moss, and I HOPE we get a deal with Morgan. That would give us a #1, #2, and then with moss a say #4 or 5, so we need to find a #3 and 4 in draft of UDFA. This could work but would hurt some fans feelings. As we have seen, baalke and Coach, want talent for their $$, and so far have gotten both with Cox , to replace not only Rogers but also ginn. yes, this does look like billy beane moneyball...and i like it.
At this point, I don't think their doing what they planned. Unless the plan is to use every single draft pick on a wr in the up coming draft we won't be improving at this position.
Share 49ersWebzone