There are 576 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This.


There's no matchup problems on offense with this team right now. Add a dynamic 2nd TE and the days of doubling Vernon Davis are over for good.

The match-up problems do come from more then the 2nd TE position though.
michael crabtree.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
The match-up problems do come from more then the 2nd TE position though.

True, but good defenses can generally shut down two wide receivers pretty well, look at how the Giants completely handcuffed Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings, not to mention the job that Webster did on Crabtree. A legitimate #2 tight end would have been a matchup nightmare for them. As it is they got gashed by Hernandez and a one-legged Gronkowski in the Super Bowl.
Delanie Walker is an asset to the team. He is ignored in the passing game at times and then has a productive game. If the passing attack opens up he'll have numbers.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
True, but good defenses can generally shut down two wide receivers pretty well, look at how the Giants completely handcuffed Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings, not to mention the job that Webster did on Crabtree. A legitimate #2 tight end would have been a matchup nightmare for them. As it is they got gashed by Hernandez and a one-legged Gronkowski in the Super Bowl.
Packers were more of a choke job then getting hand cuffed, Webster worked over Crabtree but there is the big difference, they didnt need to work over anyone else because we didn't have anyone opposite of Crabtree that needed serious coverage yeah KW is quick and has his moments, but hes not quite a #2 receiver just yet. Even though he is smaller then average, Delanie still requires some attention more then Williams really needed. Which to me indicates we need a #2 Receiver or another #1 receiver before a #2 TE
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 1swift:
Because we've seen him make plays with the ball in his hand. Quite frankly I cannot understand how KW beat him out for a Kick or Punt returner as I believe he played that roll quite well when he was doing it a few years back. KW is fast but has a huge history of mistakes (even beyond the NFC championship game). I Dont remember walker having trouble handling kicks etc.

Clearly this issue is why isnt he doing well...It was, at one point, easy to blame Alex for failing to find open receivers, but now it's hard to tell.

When??? He had less than 200 yards receiving this season, his career high is 330, supposedly he's this huge threat with the ball in his hands, so why not put it there often, why isn't he making plays in the red-zone for a team that desperately needs touchdowns? Why is it he goes entire games without making a catch and is often shutdown by a single safety and sometimes a cornerback.

No one is saying that his stats are what make him a good player, or more specifically, a valuable player on this team. so please stop going back to his rec. yards and career highs. i'm pretty sure every niner fan knows that walker's stats don't jump out at anyone.

As valrod pointed out, walker makes for a good no. 2 TE, a complimentary one. he is by no means part of a deadly 1-2 combo with VD. but when the niners do go to their 2TE sets, i guarantee, the opposition is going to have to account for walker because of what he is capable of doing and that is what makes him a valuable player.
And he is on the field a lot during designed run plays with a two tight end set, even on red zone plays.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Delanie Walker is an asset to the team. He is ignored in the passing game at times and then has a productive game. If the passing attack opens up he'll have numbers.

That is a good point also, he had crappy numbers this season 198 in the regular season IIRC, but only on 19 receptions. With the ball being in the air more his numbers and all the other receivers numbers could dramaticly increase
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM ]
He may be a bit overhyped, but he's a solid player and he has value at numerous positions/on several units.

I just don't understand how the guy didn't have a catch from Week 9-on. He was a component of the game plan up until then, but just disappeared.

But, when given the opportunity, he makes some great plays: see the NYG game, his TDs vs TB and DAL, and his game winner against Detroit.

Hopefully we're able to get him the ball more consistently on O the coming year.

The last thing we want to do is get rid of the guy. He can play WR, TE, FB, H-Back competently. He's a beast on ST. Look at the last utility guy we got rid off--MROB made the pro bowl this year.
He is very good for his salary. Of course he is replaceable, but players like this on your roster is what you want so you can focus your draft and FRee agency on bigger needs.
I am more with Walker being overrated--i have watched him his whole career--he has as many drops or fumbles in key moments of a game than he does key catches or TD's. I'd prefer a Freeney type guy--that would really open up things for Vernon and also the WR's. But I also trust Harbaugh and Baalke--if they like Delanie--I trust their judgement over mine!
I wish the Niners would throw to Walker more often. However this year, they used him more as a decoy this year. Hopefully things open up for him in the offense next year.

With that being said, 100% guaranteed the Niners will draft another TE we need a BIG 6-5 / 6-6 TE that we can throw to like Gronk.

But that doesn't limit Walker because Walker can line up all over the field. Walker is more like an H-back. I'd almost like to see him in the backfield as a FB at times.

Also too, walker lined up as a Tackle, FB, TE, WR, Flanker.......you know how hard it is to play all of those positions or remember all of the different plays. He is a special player and next year he will get more plays.

And yes, his production will go up when we get more weapons. For a lot of the season he made the offense run and wasn't 100% for the championship game. He for sure isn't overrated.

You can say.....he won the Detroit game for us with two key blocks on Suh and a game winning catch.

He was huge in Giants game, I think he was our leading receiver.

He had a lot of key blocks in all of our games. He's a unique player and we need to get him the ball more.

Read the article below and still see if you think that he is overrated.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204346104576637441229847906.html
I think he's good but yes Walker is overrated he's a good blocker but he fumbles a lot in key moments and isn't really a threat to take it in when he gets the ball like VD is. I'm in favor of drafting Fleener because like Davis he's a threat to go in the end zone each time he gets the ball and could only help this offense by freeing up Davis from double coverage. I never really bought into Walker being a great TE to complement Vernon because if he was a good complement VD would've been doubled less.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Lulz. Yup... it's teh offseason.

I'm just glad that I feel confident that the guys in charge will make good decisions. Even when those decisions confuse the f**k out of me.

"They're going to convert a productive college DE to FB? WTF?"

After the season: "Bruce Miller is teh next Rathman! Genius!"

Just chill, Bro.
Originally posted by merm49:
He may be a bit overhyped, but he's a solid player and he has value at numerous positions/on several units.

I just don't understand how the guy didn't have a catch from Week 9-on. He was a component of the game plan up until then, but just disappeared.

But, when given the opportunity, he makes some great plays: see the NYG game, his TDs vs TB and DAL, and his game winner against Detroit.

Hopefully we're able to get him the ball more consistently on O the coming year.

The last thing we want to do is get rid of the guy. He can play WR, TE, FB, H-Back competently. He's a beast on ST. Look at the last utility guy we got rid off--MROB made the pro bowl this year.


Well he broke his jaw, that is why he dropped off in production. The team must have thought highly of him to not put him on IR hoping to get him in the play offs. That being said, I think he is just OK as a back up TE /HB, and for 1.9 million I can think of better TE's can be had for 1.9 million.