There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by 9erred:
The above tied to a salary of 1.9 million for 2012 to me makes him potentially expendable. I wanted to get Gronkowski in 2010 and people flamed me because Walker was such a stud.

Same effect is still happening nowadays. "No, we're good, Delanie's awesome, what he does can't be found on the stat-line, 49ers don't need to upgrade at TE ever again."

And then people predictably continue to b***h about why the 49ers are lousy in the red-zone and go on to blame virtually every single person on the team but the 2nd TE who gets a lot of playing time but has little offensive production to show for it.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The above tied to a salary of 1.9 million for 2012 to me makes him potentially expendable. I wanted to get Gronkowski in 2010 and people flamed me because Walker was such a stud.

Same effect is still happening nowadays. "No, we're good, Delanie's awesome, what he does can't be found on the stat-line, 49ers don't need to upgrade at TE ever again."

Utter rubbish.

Totally agree, you pair VD with Fleener, Gronkiowski (2nd rounder ) or Jimmy Graham (3rd rounder) you have a 2 TE set that makes defensive coordinators lose sleep. Right now it is double VD and let every one else be man coverage.
Mismatch nightmare my azzz!!! I've been hearing that for years and never saw it...NEVER! He made an awesome play at detroit, other than that, dang near nothing!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
To understand why people (myself included) like Delanie, you have to look at more than numbers. That game isn't played on teh stat-sheet. You have to look at what he's capable of WHEN HE GETS A CHANCE. The guy is better than Vernon with the ball in his hands. He just doesn't get as many opportunities to get his hands on the ball. This season looked like it was going to be his year. He was playing very well and then all of the sudden they stopped trowing him the ball.

My issue with him isn't height....it's the fact that he tends to fumble. Other than that tho he is dnagerous with the ball in his hands and while he wasn't a very good plocker early on, he has improved dramatically.
Im so tired of hearing about his fumbles!! He has 3 career fumbles and 2 of them were turned over. He has never had more than one fumble in a season.
Maybe he is over-rated, im not judging that. But if you are using fumble statistics to prove that point you are a moron.

No offense to you personally, i realize you arent bashing Delaine, i just get fed up with the fumble bs.
So what's his value then, to be a blocking tight-end? Its certainly not as a receiving tight-end. And if that is his value, you don't think that the 49ers could find someone who would be a better receiving threat while being just as good a blocker?

If they could then they should take him as long as the more important holes in the offense are fixed first, and our current free agents are signed, I never said and didn't see anyone else say that Delanie was the best option at his position in the NFL, as for our current roster yes is the better option. I like Walker, but he is like everyone on the offense, expendable. I just think if your going to base all of your judgement on a player on statistics your wasting your time.
looks like DLove finally has his susweel

And then people predictably continue to b***h about why the 49ers are lousy in the red-zone and go on to blame virtually every single person on the team but the 2nd TE who gets a lot of playing time but has little offensive production to show for it.

Your really starting to sound like he stole some candy from you in elementary school or something.
What WR on the team is better than him? Crabs, Morgan pre injury... and who else? I know he is the TE, but with all the injuries at the end of the year he was basically the third WR
To answer your question, Yes. The immortal Colin Kaepernick. People are annointing him as the starter...in 2012.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
To answer your question, Yes. The immortal Colin Kaepernick. People are annointing him as the starter...in 2012.

agreed
Originally posted by sacniner:
What WR on the team is better than him? Crabs, Morgan pre injury... and who else? I know he is the TE, but with all the injuries at the end of the year he was basically the third WR

Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, and WIlliams got more yards them him, but unfortunatly only Crabtree broke the 250 yard barrier the whole season. Which sure as hell doesnt say alot for the rest of our WR squad, other then Morgan being he was on the IR
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM ]

He f*cked your sister, didn't he? Just admit it bro, we won't judge.

Originally posted by boast:
looks like DLove finally has his susweel

Not at all, I just think he gets hyped up to be something special and he's really not. I think having a big, physical receiving target at the 2nd TE would make this offense a lot more potent.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
He f*cked your sister, didn't he? Just admit it bro, we won't judge.

Meh. I think on a team that uses 1 TE most of the time, he'd make a good #2 TE, on a team that uses 2 TE sets as much as the 49ers do, he shouldn't be anything more than a #3 primary blocking tight-end.

On the Giants he could easily be their #2 guy, on the Patriots he wouldn't even be on the team. If Harbaugh is going to feature the 2 tight-end set, they need to upgrade to someone more explosive in the red-zone.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM ]
Totally agree, you pair VD with Fleener, Gronkiowski (2nd rounder ) or Jimmy Graham (3rd rounder) you have a 2 TE set that makes defensive coordinators lose sleep. Right now it is double VD and let every one else be man coverage.

This.

There's no matchup problems on offense with this team right now. Add a dynamic 2nd TE and the days of doubling Vernon Davis are over for good.