LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
I don't know why so many people want to draft a new TD when Celek is on the team, has great hands, runs good routes and is over 6' 3" and actually gets open..

I guess the thinking is that he's slow, but he's not that slow for a TE. I think he's about a 4.65. That's not Davis or Walker speed, but it's not too shabby. And, he's tall and has good hands. He does seem to catch the ball when they throw it to him.
I don't think they're going to be drafting a TE. I think rounds 1,2 and 3 are all going to be defense - defensive linemen and maybe a corner.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't know why so many people want to draft a new TD when Celek is on the team, has great hands, runs good routes and is over 6' 3" and actually gets open..

I guess the thinking is that he's slow, but he's not that slow for a TE. I think he's about a 4.65. That's not Davis or Walker speed, but it's not too shabby. And, he's tall and has good hands. He does seem to catch the ball when they throw it to him.

But he gets open, or has when his number has been called. Sometimes getting open is more important than speed. Plus he can block just fine..

But he gets open, or has when his number has been called. Sometimes getting open is more important than speed. Plus he can block just fine..
I like him. And, actually, he's 6'5", 252 lbs. so he can get up there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
To understand why people (myself included) like Delanie, you have to look at more than numbers. That game isn't played on teh stat-sheet. You have to look at what he's capable of WHEN HE GETS A CHANCE. The guy is better than Vernon with the ball in his hands. He just doesn't get as many opportunities to get his hands on the ball. This season looked like it was going to be his year. He was playing very well and then all of the sudden they stopped trowing him the ball.

My issue with him isn't height....it's the fact that he tends to fumble. Other than that tho he is dnagerous with the ball in his hands and while he wasn't a very good plocker early on, he has improved dramatically.

See you make this claim but the numbers just don't bear it out. As far as yards after the catch, that has gone down every single season for the past 4 years and he was only at 3.6 this year, compared to Aaron Hernandez at 7 YAC and even an aging Jeremy Shockey at 5.0 YAC. As far as being a tight-end, when teams can lock him down in the end-zone with a single safety because he's only 6 feet tall, then basically you're playing him for his value as a blocking h-back and little else.

I could say that Brett Swain is dangerous with the ball, hell, he could be Devin Hester, but since he can't get open, nobody will ever know.
With the type of offense that the Niners run, Walker's skill set is perfect for the offense. The Niners have so many runs from different formations and when you have a guy like Delanie that can go from lining up as a TE to a FB to a WR, it changes things up for the defense. The Niners are able to disguise their plays with moving guys around so much and he is a big part of that.
This thread title should read "Is there any 49er that is more overrated than Dashon Goldson?"

Goldson is always in these "best FS in football" arguments, yet hes terrible in coverage, cant wrap up his tackles, and costs the team dearly with late hit penalties.

Hes a hard hitter that can be a ball hawk, but he has SO many flaws that get ignored.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
This thread title should read "Is there any 49er that is more overrated than Dashon Goldson?"

Goldson is always in these "best FS in football" arguments, yet hes terrible in coverage, cant wrap up his tackles, and costs the team dearly with late hit penalties.

Hes a hard hitter that can be a ball hawk, but he has SO many flaws that get ignored.

I totally agree. Some people think that just because he is a hard hitter, he is a great safety.

I haven't seen enough of Celek to like or dislike him. But I am no more looking on him to be a regular contributor next season than I am with some of our other high potential young guys. If he has the skillset that people say he has, it seems to me that he could've been of use this past season, particularly in the Super Bowl.
Delanie Walker is a good player and a keeper,he's made more big plays than bad ones.

He's only had concentration problems since he broke his jaw,maybe that explains the drop passes.imo
I like Walker, but I'm still bitter about that drop in St. Louis. A floater right in your hands in the endzone with the game on the line. How do you miss that catch?

I like Walker, but I'm still bitter about that drop in St. Louis. A floater right in your hands in the endzone with the game on the line. How do you miss that catch?

His drops appeared to be really bad...with Alex and with CK. It didn't matter. His blocking is stellar though and critical on the edges, his routes are great, he's a team-player and a stud on ST's. Really, the only thing working against him is his height and his pass catching abilities. He can improve one but we still need that 6'6" TE for the EZ and in case something should happen to he or VD.
Originally posted by NCommand:
His drops appeared to be really bad...with Alex and with CK. It didn't matter. His blocking is stellar though and critical on the edges, his routes are great, he's a team-player and a stud on ST's. Really, the only thing working against him is his height and his pass catching abilities. He can improve one but we still need that 6'6" TE for the EZ and in case something should happen to he or VD.

Yes. It's too bad there isn't a Jimmy Grahm Tree somewhere.

It sounds like there may be some good options in the draft this year after letting Fleener get away last year. Arg. But even with a 6'4" Moss, it's mind-boggling to me why we didn't run him out of a TE position and just lob it up there...like any defender could even make a play on it. Teams have been taking advantage of that simple play on us for the past 2 years. Coaching...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

It sounds like there may be some good options in the draft this year after letting Fleener get away last year. Arg. But even with a 6'4" Moss, it's mind-boggling to me why we didn't run him out of a TE position and just lob it up there...like any defender could even make a play on it. Teams have been taking advantage of that simple play on us for the past 2 years. Coaching...
i like his blocking sunday but i really really think it can not be that hard to find a tight end in the draft that can block and catch the ball. i still am ok with him gone
Command , the reason we didn't is because....somebody has to imagine it first....and there is my problem with roman...imagination, er, lack of it.
Share 49ersWebzone