There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

This x2... He allows us to do so much. Don't kid yourself.
To answer your question, YES there is a 9er more overrated that Walker.
He is overrated in terms of being a pass catching TE. With that said, I actually want him brought back to the team for a longterm deal if it is reasonable. He brings a lot of other things to the offense and to me a 3rd TE in this offense holds greater value than a 5th receiver. I still hope the 49ers draft a TE in the first 5 rounds that is a better pass catcher to eventually take over for Walker as the no. 2 behind Vernon Davis. The only thing that it's unlikely that it will be a 1st round pick because I doubt we'd put 10 million a year into the TE position (between Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, and a 1st round rookie).
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

This x2... He allows us to do so much. Don't kid yourself.

Agreed. Thread should be re-titled "Is there any 49er more under-rated than Delanie Walker?"

You could make the argument he should be our #1 re-signing priority, especially if Goldson's demands are too pricey.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM ]
hate to see him go, hope we can afford to keep him
Delanie could be up there with Vernon Davis if he didnt drop the ball so much.
It will be interesting to see what the market demand is for Delanie... IMO, he is excellent in his role with us. Not sure how he would fare as a number one featured TE though.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agreed. Thread should be re-titled "Is there any 49er more under-rated than Delanie Walker?"

You could make the argument he should be our #1 re-signing priority, especially if Goldson's demands are too pricey.

He is. If the 49ers let Goldson walk, I'd attempt to resign Walker along with going after Percy Harvin or Greg Jennings if their contract demands aren't above what we were willing to pay Goldson (probably not likely for Jennings). This would allow us to pretty much use all of our picks in the top 100 exclusively on defense and maybe wait until the 4th or 5th round before picking up another TE.
I hear ya...some of the hype comes from the media. Quite a few were singing his praises, citing his all-around play being so valuable to the team. To an extent, they're right. Like you, if we get a chance to get a top TE, we should do it. That's why I'd love for Baalke to draft Ertz...how often do you get a shot at the best TE in the country who happens to be 6-6 with great hands. His blocking improved a lot his senior season at Stanford, too. Think of what a RZ target he'd be...
Originally posted by sacniner:
It will be interesting to see what the market demand is for Delanie... IMO, he is excellent in his role with us. Not sure how he would fare as a number one featured TE though.

I think it would be a big mistake for whatever team did that. he is the perfect #2 tight end but not a #1
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I hear ya...some of the hype comes from the media. Quite a few were singing his praises, citing his all-around play being so valuable to the team. To an extent, they're right. Like you, if we get a chance to get a top TE, we should do it. That's why I'd love for Baalke to draft Ertz...how often do you get a shot at the best TE in the country who happens to be 6-6 with great hands. His blocking improved a lot his senior season at Stanford, too. Think of what a RZ target he'd be...

Jesus, did we end up needing a Fleener-type or what!? I would like to think the FO doesn't make the same mistake twice.

That said, Walker had a tremendous playoff and esp. Superbowl esp. in the blocking department. I would love to have him back but he has GOT to work on his hands. He loves it here so I'd be mildly surprised if he left via FA.
Unfortunately, there are a bunch of teams ahead of us in the draft that are thinking the same thing .... IMO, if he's there when the Falcons pick, forget it LOL ....
[ Edited by Beeker on Feb 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM ]
Beast block on Ed reed during Gores rushing TD in the SB.

Too many other needs that are more pressing that drafting a backup TE. Defensive line and cornerback should be the priorities. There are some pretty good TEs that can be drafted in the mid rounds
2 of our top 3 FAs will resign. Goldson, Soap, D Walker. I think we keep Walker and Goldson.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home