LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dmatt:
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

This is clearly a bizzaro world post. I don't know about 3, but all of the others are the exact opposite of the truth.
That must be walker, or someone who's lost touch with reality.

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

This is clearly a bizzaro world post. I don't know about 3, but all of the others are the exact opposite of the truth.

He's a mediocre blocker who gets more credit for it than he deserves. He is not even close to being a natural receiver. If he was, he wouldn't drop half the passes that come his way. Nobody who isn't with the team in some capacity would know if he is "an extremely hard worker," so disregard that claim altogether. And what exactly does "great in space" mean? If he means Walker is going to elude defenders and juke them out of their shoes, all I can say is LOL.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

He's a mediocre blocker who gets more credit for it than he deserves. He is not even close to being a natural receiver. If he was, he wouldn't drop half the passes that come his way. Nobody who isn't with the team in some capacity would know if he is "an extremely hard worker," so disregard that claim altogether. And what exactly does "great in space" mean? If he means Walker is going to elude defenders and juke them out of their shoes, all I can say is LOL.

T.O. dropped a lot of passes early in his career too. You gonna call him a bust as well?

As terrible as Terrible Owens was, he was still a pretty good wide receiver. I think Delanie is a pretty good option as a wide receiver/tight end.

And you should take a close look at the coaches film sometime and see how he blocks. Do you really think Harbaugh is just throwing him out there because there's nobody better?

Delanie plays because Delanie does a lot for the offense. That includes blocking. That includes route running. That includes pass catching. Sure, I wish he'd catch every ball thrown in his direction. Sure, the drops just kill me. But you take the good with the bad. Delanie gets open. He gives CK7 a nice option.

Honestly, I cannot begin to understand this Kerap directed toward Delanie Walker.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
if anybody round here has really framed/stated what they want out of a #2te whether it be walker or anybody else. The position itself is an important part of our offense and has a pretty big impact on how the game is called imo.

Some people understate it in an almost obnoxious fashion, of the "oh....he's ONLY A #2 TE....what do YOU expect?" variety, forgetting that the #2 TE in this offense sees significantly more snaps than the vast majority of #2 TE's in the league.

It should be someone that can block capably, as well as being a threat to receive and actually make the catches when the ball gets passed to them.

In Before......"oh he's a jack of all trades, you can't put value on what he does, he can block, return kicks, punt, serve popcorn, park cars, rescue senior citizens from a burning nursing home....."

21 catches and 9 drops....including 4 in the endzone. To have about a 50% drop rate is just plain embarrassing.

Thanks, i think pos needs a player who is able to inline block as well as pull off the chips and traps which walker does reasonably well at because he can get a running start at his target. Idk if Walker is that much of as positive factor when it comes to pass pro thats why vd gets the lions share of those duties. Its nice nice that the team has two guys that they see as threats but imho vd is the better of the two when it comes to that and should be allowed to earn his check by getting some more opps in that area too.

The same things can be said for the running game im not sure but i think that its a pretty safe bet that when the niners are attempting any type of strong side runs vd is the guy anchoring the edge. Not a lot of deception with that.

What i think the position needs is a:

Blocker first and all that it entails

Sure handed/effective from the los to say 10-15 out. Anything after that is gravy.

Not every receiver has to be a deep threat,reliable chain movers hurt defenses too and help set the table for the big play guys.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jan 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
ya this guys a natural receiver my ass. hes always bobbling the ball on the rare occasion that he does actually catch the damn thing. his blocking is decent but i wouldnt say hes a great blocker. theyre gonna need him in the playoffs tho with all the receiver injuries so hopefully he can take these two weeks to work on his damn hands
The most asinine thing I've seen is people claiming that the 49ers should simply stick with Walker because basically that is the best that they can do? A midget tight-end who can't catch the ball is the best they can do. With all the picks in the upcoming draft they can definitely find someone who will be more productive and more of a threat when going out for passes, someone that is much more of a traditional tight-end unlike VD, who will act as a complement to him and find weak spots in the zone to basically chill out in and be a safety outlet for the quarterback.

The second most asinine thing is that Walker can somehow "improve" his ability to catch. He's been a lousy receiver for a long time now and has always had a high drop rate. This isn't a guy in his first, second or even third year in the NFL, this is his SEVENTH year in the NFL, if it hasn't happened by now, it won't just magically happen all of a sudden.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM ]
He is definitely not natural with the ball in his hands... Even his "good" catches aren't very clean and the way he holds the ball is highschool caliber, not even college level skill there.

He is a valuable Swiss Army knife player, but it's time we upgrade that #2 te position to the caliber of player like Hernandez or Allen. There are plenty of upgrades out there to be had, lets not confuse loyalty with skill.
Originally posted by 5280High:
He is definitely not natural with the ball in his hands... Even his "good" catches aren't very clean and the way he holds the ball is highschool caliber, not even college level skill there.

He is a valuable Swiss Army knife player, but it's time we upgrade that #2 te position to the caliber of player like Hernandez or Allen. There are plenty of upgrades out there to be had, lets not confuse loyalty with skill.

Doesn't even have to be a smaller TE........A guy like Dion Sims who is a monster blocker and has terrific size would be highly useful, so would someone like Ryan Otten, who looks like a natural playmaker at TE.
He makes the very tough catches but drops the easy ones.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

T.O. dropped a lot of passes early in his career too. You gonna call him a bust as well?

As terrible as Terrible Owens was, he was still a pretty good wide receiver. I think Delanie is a pretty good option as a wide receiver/tight end.

And you should take a close look at the coaches film sometime and see how he blocks. Do you really think Harbaugh is just throwing him out there because there's nobody better?

Delanie plays because Delanie does a lot for the offense. That includes blocking. That includes route running. That includes pass catching. Sure, I wish he'd catch every ball thrown in his direction. Sure, the drops just kill me. But you take the good with the bad. Delanie gets open. He gives CK7 a nice option.

Honestly, I cannot begin to understand this Kerap directed toward Delanie Walker.
Totally agree. Last year he had 19 passes under 200 yards receiving and started more games. This year close to 400 with 21 catches. Big plays Big Results!!! Delanie is a playmaker. Straight Kerap!!!

Originally posted by 5280High:

Niners have been doin that wit Staley and Smith for Years buddy.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Totally agree. Last year he had 19 passes under 200 yards receiving and started more games. This year close to 400 with 21 catches. Big plays Big Results!!! Delanie is a playmaker. Straight Kerap!!!

21 catches, 9 drops, including 4 in the endzone. So in other words, highly overrated player that can't get it done when the team most needs for him to deliver. You can't be a playmaker when you can't hold on to the ball.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
I don't think he is any more overrated as he is underrated. He is very inconsistent. But if he does manage to secure the ball, good things happen. If he could stop dropping and fumbling, he MIGHT be a pro bowler.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

21 catches, 9 drops, including 4 in the endzone. So in other words, highly overrated player that can't get it done when the team most needs for him to deliver. You can't be a playmaker when you can't hold on to the ball.

He got the only td in our first showdown in against Seattle and against NE and every other game . He gets a lot more done than 3 quarters of the rest of the league's #2 TE's.
He got the only td in our first showdown in against Seattle and against NE and every other game . He gets a lot more done than 3 quarters of the rest of the league's #2 TE's.

He gets MORE snaps than the vast majority of the rest of the leagues #2 TE's. In this offense he's not a #2 TE in the traditional sense, he's playing in over 50% of the snaps and is more or less a starter. Judging him on the same basis as Joe Blow, the #2 TE for some random team who warms the sidelines most of the time is ridiculous.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone