There are 224 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Dudes been a beast this year with his blocking but his pass catching was a little suspect earlier in the year.

These last few games he's really stepped up in the receiving department.

If he can do this consistently then teams won't be able to double VD as much and if they do D-Love can make em pay.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I've been really hard on Delanie this year, but I'd just like to give him his props for the last game. He was awesome.

in preseason it seems like he always catches Kaep throws...it might be the velocity

kap has better accuracy than smith imo
Ahem...................................
No, not really
Originally posted by Marvin49:
To understand why people (myself included) like Delanie, you have to look at more than numbers. That game isn't played on teh stat-sheet. You have to look at what he's capable of WHEN HE GETS A CHANCE. The guy is better than Vernon with the ball in his hands. He just doesn't get as many opportunities to get his hands on the ball. This season looked like it was going to be his year. He was playing very well and then all of the sudden they stopped trowing him the ball.

My issue with him isn't height....it's the fact that he tends to fumble. Other than that tho he is dnagerous with the ball in his hands and while he wasn't a very good plocker early on, he has improved dramatically.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
To understand why people (myself included) like Delanie, you have to look at more than numbers. That game isn't played on teh stat-sheet. You have to look at what he's capable of WHEN HE GETS A CHANCE. The guy is better than Vernon with the ball in his hands. He just doesn't get as many opportunities to get his hands on the ball. This season looked like it was going to be his year. He was playing very well and then all of the sudden they stopped trowing him the ball.

My issue with him isn't height....it's the fact that he tends to fumble. Other than that tho he is dnagerous with the ball in his hands and while he wasn't a very good plocker early on, he has improved dramatically.

This makes me sad Walker has TO'd more 3rd downs than TO.
Walker has more drops in the last two years than catches and he lost the game today with his drop on the one yard line that would have been a td. He should have been replaced this past draft with Colby Fleener...thanks Baalke...instead we don't draft a guy that can make the damn roster.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Walker has more drops in the last two years than catches and he lost the game today with his drop on the one yard line that would have been a td. He should have been replaced this past draft with Colby Fleener...thanks Baalke...instead we don't draft a guy that can make the damn roster.

this!
I don't think anyone can describe what he means to this team after today!
Delanie is a good Hback, and does alot of things well.

Having said that i really felt we needed a sure handed possetion TE in the off season. Delanie does not fit that role.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

There are a lot of hard working guys who want to play in the NFL.
Great in space. I'd be careful throwing the word great on this guy.
Great blocker. Again the word great. how about good. Maybe even above average.
Natural receiver You have got to be KIDDING!
If he wants to take a pay cut and come back as the #3 TE who blocks I'd take him back. Otherwise, we need to move on. Versatile and good blocker and great at the wham plays but give me a big tall TE who can get 1st downs and TDs while still blocking. Easier said than done but 6 tds in 7 years isn't cutting it for me. Not bad for a 6th round pick but we have higher expectations around here.
We all know he can't catch crap this year, but I never realized just how bad he's been. Scroll down towards the bottom:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/06/sig-stat-snapshot-receiving-production-tight-ends/

"Walker's drop rate increased from 9.5% last season to 36.8% this season, the greatest decline among qualifying tight ends. He already has five more drops than he had last year."

Walker has double the drop rate that Jermichael Finley does this year...
[ Edited by Disp on Dec 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
We all know he can't catch crap this year, but I never realized just how bad he's been. Scroll down towards the bottom:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/06/sig-stat-snapshot-receiving-production-tight-ends/

"Walker's drop rate increased from 9.5% last season to 36.8% this season, the greatest decline among qualifying tight ends. He already has five more drops than he had last year."

Walker has double the drop rate that Jermichael Finley does this year...

What you don't get is that Delanie is like a Swiss-Army knife, what he does can't be quantified on a stat sheet, he's so good in fact that he's like a stat ninja, you should just be lucky to be able to cheer for the most underrated and underappreciated superstar tight-end the NFL has to offer.