There are 265 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Legitimate question about Walker's abilities. Considering how good the other TE on this team is, it's hard to get an accurate read on him. If there is a TE related play, it probably most often goes to Davis. I think he can step it up when necc, and he knows the system quite well, and also is a team player.
Personally I never heard anybody give Walker much praise at all. That simple fact would make it pretty hard to be overrated. lol
Walkers been horrible this season catching the ball, but he did put a few good blocks inside against the lions. I'd try to upgrade if I was the front office.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Personally I never heard anybody give Walker much praise at all. That simple fact would make it pretty hard to be overrated. lol

this is one of those "no middle ground" debates....................

one person says he good. another person says "stop acting like he's a pro-bowler"
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Walkers been horrible this season catching the ball, but he did put a few good blocks inside against the lions. I'd try to upgrade if I was the front office.

He does look like s**t this year but I still have love for him since he caught that clutch catch vs the Lions last season. Too early in the season though to say he needs to be replaced.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

one person says he good. another person says "stop acting like he's a pro-bowler"

I don't think so. There were more than a few propping him up during the Fleener talks.

I would still take Fleener over what's his name.

Fleener: 8 catches for 98 yards.

Not bad in 2 games for a rookie TE with a rookie QB on a crap ass team.

Roman loves him.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

I don't think so. There were more than a few propping him up during the Fleener talks.

I would still take Fleener over what's his name.

Fleener: 8 catches for 98 yards.

Not bad in 2 games for a rookie TE with a rookie QB on a crap ass team.

agree that there are always those that over exaggerate. but for the most part everyone else understands he's good for a backup.
He is a pretty good blocker, but inconsistent with the pass catching. Would have expected just the opposite a few years ago. He needs to do whatever Vernon Davis did to improve his catching.
Yeah most people have much love for DW. It's just a matter of FINALLY being in position where we can look to the luxury of upgrading at the position esp. given Fleener/Jenkins and the short and long-term effects.

With Fleener, we might have lost some in the versatility and blocking department but, like VD, could grow into a balanced TE down the road. He could add to Roman's passing attack right out of the gate in Harbaugh's offense. Jenkins could turn out to be a stud down the road as a guy like Moss leaves, injuries, etc. DW has already reached his ceiling IMHO but is very experienced and versatile in this offense. I'd hate to be the one to make the decision!

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

yeah def agree, his stats arent going to be great b/c he is a BACKUP TE.
If he didn't drop the ball so much he'd probably have a larger role. He's versatile and has the ability to make plays, but he's not very reliable. He won't be resigned.
May be overrated, but someone I love having on our team. Jack of all Trades and Master of None. Still a valued member of this team no matter what anyone thinks.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Delanie is a good player. He can play ST's and is a good blocker but C'mon guys, I think we can all agree he needs A LOT of work on his pass catching.

Also, sorry to burst your bubble but Delanie would not be a dominant # 1 on another team. That's just crazy talk.

Harbaugh loves his 2 TE sets and it takes the multiplicity out of the offense if one of em can't catch a cold.

Again, not saying he's terrible but if dude can't start hauling in some passes we may need to look at the draft for another TE.

Totally agree, Fleener was the pick this year. Delanie is in the last year of his contract and I would not even sign him to the league minimum because he is replaceable. You could get a league minimum player that would play as well as Delanie and not miss a beat.

Delanie is short,
He drops the ball all too consistently
He fumbles the ball
I Have nightmares of him returning kicks.
He is replaceable.

Aaron Hernandez, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph, Todd Heap all where number 2's in 2011 an I would take all of them over Delanie. Heck watching the Giants play last night I think Bear Pascoe is a better blocker and receiving threat than Delanie, wonder what team drafted him??
Do you even watch the games?

Yes, do you? Perhaps you should look at the 2012 stats for the first few weeks. Fleener has outplayed Walker, and league minimum Bear Pascoe is equal to Walker. Also Pascoe showed up and actually made catches in big games for the Giants, Walker has crumbled on catchable balls throughout his career. The first few games in 2012 have exemplified this. Perhaps you are not watching the game?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=PAS179616&player2=WAL115671&player3=FLE075352&player4=null&position=tightend&playerOne=Bear+Pascoe&playerTwo=Delanie+Walker&playerThree=Coby+Fleener&playerFour=
Blocking doesn't show on stats, neither does ST, that's why I asked if you watch any of the games. The fact that you are saying either of them are better in that regard is silly to say the least.

Pascoe is 6'5"" and 285, he IS a blocker, and a much better blocker than Delanie Walker. Your 6 foot 242 Delanie Walker is more a halfback hybrid, which is my point, the niners should have gotten a Better number 2 TE. If you debate upgrading the #2 TE spot you are delirious. My point with Pascoe is a LEAGUE MINIMUM TE is AS GOOD in my eyes as Delanie Walker. Fleeener was my pick in round 1 of the draft. I HOPE AJ Jenkins works out, but a Fleener at #2 is more effective right now than a WR who is inactive.
Share 49ersWebzone