There are 194 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
So you're pissed because some people call him very good when he may just be good
lol

Tight end is not a pressing need for this team

Sure it is. When you play 2 TE formations as much as this team does, having a quality scoring threat is just as essential as a good #2 or #3 receiver is for other teams. Walker would be a GREAT #2 TE......for the New York Giants. For the 49ers he'd be better off as the #3 guy and having a big, tall, physical tight-end like Fleener or Green at the #2 position.

You don't think that having a 6'6" sure-handed receiving threat in the end-zone would make this more offense more effective than a 6'0" TE/FB/WR......10 positions, not anything special at any one of them? Delanie Walker as the #3 TE is a very good value and provides good versatility.

Name me the 2nd tight end on the 9ers 1994 team without looking

This is not an offense that needs to get the ball to the number 2 tight end there are only so many passes to go around

In the Walsh style offense the #1WR and the RB are the biggest targets followed by the #1TE and #2 WR

This is not an offense that needs to get the ball to the number 2 tight end there are only so many passes to go around

In the Walsh style offense the #1WR and the RB are the biggest targets followed by the #1TE and #2 WR

Are we in 1994, is Walsh coaching this team????

Harbaugh is running a version of the WCO offense, doesn't mean it's the same exact offense, his happens to be TE heavy. Hell, even in 1994 Shanahan wasn't running a pure WCO offense but more of a WCO/spread hybrid.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Steve Young isn't back in the pocket at quarterback either.

It'd sure be nice if everything stayed the same as in the past but football is changing, teams are going through the air more, looking to get the ball up, when you have a conservative quarterback who likes to throw the ball high and away, one of the best things you can do is get him a huge, tall, sure-handed and agile target to go up there and make catches for him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM ]
WhyIsDelanieStillHere

Are we in 1994, is Walsh coaching this team????

Harbaugh is running a version of the WCO offense, doesn't mean it's the same exact offense, his happens to be TE heavy. Hell, even in 1994 Shanahan wasn't running a pure WCO offense but more of a WCO/spread hybrid.

Not sure if you've noticed, but Steve Young isn't back in the pocket at quarterback either.

It'd sure be nice if everything stayed the same as in the past but football is changing, teams are going through the air more, looking to get the ball up, when you have a conservative quarterback who likes to throw the ball high and away, one of the best things you can do is get him a huge, tall, sure-handed and agile target to go up there and make catches for him.

You're still talking about the #2 TE historically these guys are used for blocking and average around 20 catches and a couple tds a year

oh look Walker 19 catches 3 td
i agree with Delanie being totally overrated.
You're still talking about the #2 TE historically these guys are used for blocking and average around 20 catches and a couple tds a year

The key word in that was "historically." The NFL is always changing, football is always changing. 20 years ago, your backup tight-end was a 240 pound guy who was in there to block about 99% of the time. Nowadays you have teams that have basically 2 1000 yard receiving TE's. If the 49ers QB was Drew Brees, it really wouldn't matter much who you bring in, but for Alex Smith who historically has a tendency to throw the ball high, it makes all the sense in the world to give him some big targets to play with.

The key word in that was "historically." The NFL is always changing, football is always changing. 20 years ago, your backup tight-end was a 240 pound guy who was in there to block about 99% of the time. Nowadays you have teams that have basically 2 1000 yard receiving TE's. If the 49ers QB was Drew Brees, it really wouldn't matter much who you bring in, but for Alex Smith who historically has a tendency to throw the ball high, it makes all the sense in the world to give him some big targets to play with.

NO was the best offense this past year right did they even have a second tight end??

This kind of offense ball control running wc attack isn't going to be passing the ball 50 times a game again the #2 TE should feel lucky to sniff the ball a couple times a game
[ Edited by 9erfan4life on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM ]
NO was the best offense this past year right did they even have a second tight end??

This kind of offense ball control running wc attack isn't going to be passing the ball 50 times a game again the #2 TE should feel lucky to sniff the ball a couple times a game

New England was the #2 offense this year, did they even have a second tight end?

There's more than 1 way to skin a rabbit, or so I've heard. Also the point is not to pass 50 times a game, but to make the most of each opportunity when you get it, especially in the red-zone where a 6'6" tight-end is far more useful than a 6'0" tight-end.

People argue stubbornly but you know there's a huge kernel of truth to this. Put a big agile 6'5"-6'6" target in the end-zone and Alex's high passes don't look quite so high anywhere and actually end up getting caught more often.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
Wham blocks = big whammys!

New England was the #2 offense this year, did they even have a second tight end?

There's more than 1 way to skin a rabbit, or so I've heard. Also the point is not to pass 50 times a game, but to make the most of each opportunity when you get it, especially in the red-zone where a 6'6" tight-end is far more useful than a 6'0" tight-end.

People argue stubbornly but you know there's a huge kernel of truth to this. Put a big agile 6'5"-6'6" target in the end-zone and Alex's high passes don't look quite so high anywhere and actually end up getting caught more often.

I'm not against an upgrade draft a TE in the later rounds fine but WR is the biggest concern right now.
Not a guy whose the 4 or 5 check down on any given play.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

I agree with this. Plus, the versatility he brings as our number 2 TE is great. He blocks really well, is a capable receiver, and plays well on special teams. He is the kind of guy you want on your team, just not as a number 1.
If you are a stat junkie than you most like would agree. Delanie made more good plays than bad players, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he never started a full season thus the production figures. He could definitely be a starter on a team that needs a TE.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
If you are a stat junkie than you most like would agree. Delanie made more good plays than bad players, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he never started a full season thus the production figures. He could definitely be a starter on a team that needs a TE.

Which team wants a 6 foot tall tight-end starting for them???? I don't think Delanie is a starter on any team in the NFL. He's a guy who's basically without a position.
Originally posted by 305Niner:

Which team wants a 6 foot tall tight-end starting for them???? I don't think Delanie is a starter on any team in the NFL. He's a guy who's basically without a position.

Think you're missing the concept of this offense.

It uses x y z receivers h back f back

base package of 2wr 1te 2rb
wide package of 3wr 1te 1rb
tight package of 1wr 2te 2rb

Walker is handy cause he can easily shift from y receiver to f back
The 9ers have always had these types of players

If you want Jim to change to offense and use two giant tight ends all the time give him a call

call at me bro
Think you're missing the concept of this offense.

It uses x y z receivers h back f back

base package of 2wr 1te 2rb
wide package of 3wr 1te 1rb
tight package of 1wr 2te 2rb

Walker is handy cause he can easily shift from y receiver to f back
The 9ers have always had these types of players

If you want Jim to change to offense and use two giant tight ends all the time give him a call

call at me bro

At Stanford Fleener did a lot of the same things, shifted from WR to TE and moved around on the offense a lot........you're basically saying that a guy like that is incapable of doing what Delanie Walker does and doing it better? Same goes for Green.