LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

How do you see the offense in 2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Really hope s**t changes in the offense..... How many years have we sucked BALLS on 3rd Down now? or just offense in general?

Our D has unlocked it's full potential and is now a beast...without even the playbook fully established. Hopefully our offense can do the same

Offense takes longer to install and perfect, usually, so it is not surprising that the D is ahead of the O. I hope the D can continue at the hgh level they played last year and that the O, with a full off season, will catch up. Will be fun to watch the draft and see where they think they need help.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Really hope s**t changes in the offense..... How many years have we sucked BALLS on 3rd Down now? or just offense in general?

Our D has unlocked it's full potential and is now a beast...without even the playbook fully established. Hopefully our offense can do the same

Offense takes longer to install and perfect, usually, so it is not surprising that the D is ahead of the O. I hope the D can continue at the hgh level they played last year and that the O, with a full off season, will catch up. Will be fun to watch the draft and see where they think they need help.

I mean, i get what ur saying but no matter what it's just always seemed we've always struggled on 3rd down... so annoying, lol. it's time for that to change though finally.
I mean, i get what ur saying but no matter what it's just always seemed we've always struggled on 3rd down... so annoying, lol. it's time for that to change though finally.

Agree and think they will have a much better plan this year. Didn't go through every game but the two or three I researched showed most 3rd down attempts were runs into the line...especially in the red zone. I believe that was an effort to control the game and get a field goal because the offense was just not in sync yet.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Same offense, better execution. Hopefully, they'll improve a couple key stats: red zone efficiency and points per game. I don't expect a big change in philosophy or big passing numbers from Alex Smith. Harbaugh loves to run the ball and, if they can solidify the O-line, I expect them to pound the rock every chance they get. Still, the passing game should become a little more explosive.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Same offense, better execution. Hopefully, they'll improve a couple key stats: red zone efficiency and points per game. I don't expect a big change in philosophy or big passing numbers from Alex Smith. Harbaugh loves to run the ball and, if they can solidify the O-line, I expect them to pound the rock every chance they get. Still, the passing game should become a little more explosive.

i think were going to pass more this year

las t year we had to run because of lockout and ilimitations of playbook and our crappy Wr core

this year we improved the WR core and have a whole offseason of the offense

just IMO
  • DJD
  • Veteran
I don't see how the O can't improve with an actual off season work with, the same OC 2 years running, something these players as a unit have never seen. Then there are Moss, Manningham and Jacobs to help stretch the field and punch though for both 1st down and touch downs.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think were going to pass more this year

las t year we had to run because of lockout and ilimitations of playbook and our crappy Wr core

this year we improved the WR core and have a whole offseason of the offense

just IMO

Could happen, but if you look at Harbaugh's record at Stanford you'll see he preferred to run the ball even with Andrew Luck at QB. In his four years at Stanford, Harbaugh's run-pass ratio was 1918 runs to 1396 passes, which works out to 57.9% running plays. Granted, the NFL is more of a "passing league" than the Pac 10, and Harbaugh will do whatever it takes to win, but I think he'll always look to run the ball first. Also, I'm not convinced our WR group is actually improved (depends on what happens in the draft and whether Moss works out).
Could happen, but if you look at Harbaugh's record at Stanford you'll see he preferred to run the ball even with Andrew Luck at QB. In his four years at Stanford, Harbaugh's run-pass ratio was 1918 runs to 1396 passes, which works out to 57.9% running plays. Granted, the NFL is more of a "passing league" than the Pac 10, and Harbaugh will do whatever it takes to win, but I think he'll always look to run the ball first. Also, I'm not convinced our WR group is actually improved (depends on what happens in the draft and whether Moss works out).

If you consider that braylon was injured for the entire season and did squat and Morgan was out for the later two thirds, they are definitely better.
Consistency.
A HELL OF A LOT MORE FUN TO WATCH, PERIOD. Flies like a sports car but drives like a monster truck. I'd expect to see it look alot more the Stanford's O in 09-10.

Moss Manningham and Jacobs......enough said
I believe we'll use more of the short passing game and continue to run it well with 3 backs.
TBD, ask me after the draft.
Someone should pull the 3rd and long (5+) stats. It seems to me that the offense had improved in this area. There were still some during the season but seems less compared to previous years. We need wide receiver weapons and those guys to play together for a period of time to be efficient. The running game needs to improve on short yardage situation. 3rd down conversion is a good indicator of a good offense that can move the ball. It's not a good indicator of a scoring offense. That's like another animal all together in the redzone.
we will hit the ground running this year, the players have a grasp of the system and will execute much better on opening day ...this year we wont start out conservative and run a plain vanilla offense because the guys are still learning the offense ...this year the offense will be much better
Share 49ersWebzone