LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

How do you see the offense in 2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Harbaugh playbook won't improve Alex's pocket presence or field awareness. The offense will be better if Alex isn't the best qb on the team ( ie CK steps up and wins the starting qb job)
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The Harbaugh playbook won't improve Alex's pocket presence or field awareness. The offense will be better if Alex isn't the best qb on the team ( ie CK steps up and wins the starting qb job)

you know in the last 4 games we have 7 passing TDs and 0 int

without a #1WR?
I see Coby Fleener and Vernon Davis being absolute terrors out on the field, driving defenses crazy, forcing teams into nickel packages and giving Gore and Hunter a hell of a lot more space to get going on the run. No more double teams on VD means big numbers for him, having to spread coverage around results in a lot of 1-1 opportunities for Michael Crabtree and Pierre Garcon, offense ends up in the Top 5 in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM ]

Alex Smith may never be Tom Brady but we do not NEED him to be for us to win the superbowl.

Now if we had Tom Brady's defense (or the Giants defense, Saints defense, Packers defense, etc.) yeah we will need A LOT from our QB. But all we really need is the ability to move the chains and score in the RZ.

From what I've seen this season, I think we can be a pretty strong offense with 1 or 2 more pieces and some improved chemistry and playbook. I think what is key is we get Alex to have that undying trust in another receiver besides Davis.

The biggest sign of improvement I'd like to see next season is scoring on long drives. I want to see drives that start inside the 10 go all the way, even if just FG.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

you know in the last 4 games we have 7 passing TDs and 0 int

without a #1WR?

I'm telling you, if 1+1+1 = 3 we are in for a real treat next year.

Hopefully I am right!
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Alex Smith may never be Tom Brady but we do not NEED him to be for us to win the superbowl.

Now if we had Tom Brady's defense (or the Giants defense, Saints defense, Packers defense, etc.) yeah we will need A LOT from our QB. But all we really need is the ability to move the chains and score in the RZ.

From what I've seen this season, I think we can be a pretty strong offense with 1 or 2 more pieces and some improved chemistry and playbook. I think what is key is we get Alex to have that undying trust in another receiver besides Davis.

The biggest sign of improvement I'd like to see next season is scoring on long drives. I want to see drives that start inside the 10 go all the way, even if just FG.

someone made a post most of his game winning drives consisted of 70+ yard drives

but imo we just need a plamaker to take away attention from crabs and VD that will allow offense to open up a bit more

someone made a post most of his game winning drives consisted of 70+ yard drives

but imo we just need a plamaker to take away attention from crabs and VD that will allow offense to open up a bit more

True, I agree.

BTW, about the 70+ yard drives....whether it's Alex rising to the occasion or more aggressive play calling, there have been no shortage of long drives to score when needed.

It's for all the other non critical moments, like say the 3rd quarter with a 10 point lead. Stuff like that you rarely see the nice long drives.

Hope that is all planned and not coincidental.
True, I agree.

BTW, about the 70+ yard drives....whether it's Alex rising to the occasion or more aggressive play calling, there have been no shortage of long drives to score when needed.

It's for all the other non critical moments, like say the 3rd quarter with a 10 point lead. Stuff like that you rarely see the nice long drives.

ah ok i seewhat ur saying
i agree we have to do it on a more consistant basis
True, I agree.

ah ok i seewhat ur saying
i agree we have to do it on a more consistant basis

Thought I would re-awaken this thread given the Jacobs signing. I believe the long drives were used when necessary and field position gamesmanship was used when the 9ers had the lead. This reduced risk and turned our punter into a weapon. Jacobs is another very good short yardage weapon and with more time for the offense to practice and solidify it could be a much more prolific year for the O...turning many FGs into TDs.

We did fine in FA w/receivers and Jacobs as insurance.

Depending on the draft, with a full OTA & TCamp I expect much more aggresive passing attack to set up the run bettter.

I'm thinking Kilgore as RG and a better running game on that side also better pass protection.

We will get a recceiver [TE or WR] who cann get seperation and a big target for the RZone.

If we can get a downfield threat early i the season then thhe playcalling will get creative. I still expect Roman/JH to hold back some aces up their sleeves until we really need them to win.
Sometimes from the TV at my Bar but usually from home. Seeing the Offense in HD on my 65' is usually best. Same with the Defense.

• mike
  • Veteran
Too early to say. Ask me again in 17 days after the draft.

So far we've added manningham, should be an upgrade to Morgan. And Moss, no idea if he can still play.. So who knows. But if crab makes it through a whole preseason that's already better than what we had last year.

We do need him to be like Brady. Brady may have lots of time to throw now but the main difference between him and Bledsoe was that Brady saw the field better and got the ball out quicker than Bledsoe. Bledsoe was notorious for taking unnecessary sacks. I have yet to see Alex help the OL with his passing on a consistent basis.
Really hope s**t changes in the offense..... How many years have we sucked BALLS on 3rd Down now? or just offense in general?

Our D has unlocked it's full potential and is now a beast...without even the playbook fully established. Hopefully our offense can do the same
Share 49ersWebzone