LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Deep threat or big receiver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I read "Deep throat" at first glance.

Same here
Someone that can get separation. I don't care if its big or small, the current 49ers receivers with a possible exception for Morgan got locked down WAY too easy. A big receiver is no credit if its someone like Jeffery who has great size but was getting covered and shutdown for whole games by guys who won't even make it on to the practice squad of NFL teams. I'll take a 5'7" midget of a WR if he can create gaps between himself and defensive backs.
Let's go switch Justin Smith to Wideout. Can Crabtree play DE??

But wait!!! Why not make Colin Kaepernick a punter so Andy Lee can be our Wes Welker! OMG look how smart I am!!!!!
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
deep threat to stretch the D. Alex's deep ball is vastly underrated. imo, it's one of his strengths. Others have posted the stats (from espn.com profiles) on how he is comparable to Brees & Rodgers, and far superior to Brady, on balls thrown 30+ yards, and that includes an easy long TD that VD dropped against the Rams.
Honestly, idc if he's 5'9 or 6'5, i just somebody that is a playmaker when they get the ball in their hands. I truly would love build thru the draft and get a guy like Joe Adams. IMO playmaker > RZ target.
Joe Adams and Brian Quick are the 2 recievers I want to leave the draft with. I dont want any free agent WRs, ddnt work for Braylon soo i'd rather just let some Rooks begin their legacy with us
When was the last time we had a 1000 yard WR? How many times have we had a 1000 yard WR since 2005? This thread doesnt excite me at all.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
When was the last time we had a 1000 yard WR? How many times have we had a 1000 yard WR since 2005? This thread doesnt excite me at all.

id much rather have three 800 yard reciever instead of one 1000 yard reciever. That makes everybody dangerous.
BUT, you have to give some credit to the Special Teams unit and the Defense for giving us somewhat of a short field to work with.
BUt i get where you're coming from. Some teams have 2 of those kinds of guys every season
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:

id much rather have three 800 yard reciever instead of one 1000 yard reciever. That makes everybody dangerous.
BUT, you have to give some credit to the Special Teams unit and the Defense for giving us somewhat of a short field to work with.
BUt i get where you're coming from. Some teams have 2 of those kinds of guys every season
Only if gire we could have bith.

Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
both

No doubt 9ers need both......
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sign Robert Meachem and you get both size and speed.

Or we can always draft Stephen Hill or Tommy Streeter in rd 2 and hope our coaches can whip him into shape quickly.

Agree with this.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i have been advocating for a big reciever for a while but i think a pure deep threat like kendall wright joe adams or jarius wright would benefit the team more

reason being is we dont have anyone to push the safties deep which allows the safites to concentrate on both crabtree and VD getting a deep threat will cause the safties to be modest allowing VD and crabs to be open in the middle

I can appreciate this much... there are different ways to be a deep threat though. If a 6' 3" + receiver has good vertical and long strides (runs around a 4.5 or even 4.6) with good hands and body control? This is still a WR that can frequently command a safety to help out... which is ultimately what we want.

Much depends on what happens in the offseason with Morgan, Ginn, and even Kyle W. We may very well need a Kendall Wright type as well as a Meachem/VJax/Reuben Randle/Stephen Hill/Tommy Streeter type...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Big WR that fights for the ball.

We already have a couple deep threats.

Which wide receivers are deep threats?
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Big WR that fights for the ball.

We already have a couple deep threats.

Which wide receivers are deep threats?
this