LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

49ers figure to have 30 Million in cap space

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This is why we look at guys like Plaxico and Desean (desean will get money but maybe not as much as some of the other names., but we need a punt returned as well as WR, unless we bring ginn back).

Plax/D. Jax/Morgan/rookie

I dont care what anyone says I would role with that WR group all day long.

Replace Plax with Crabtree and I'd be down with that group. Oh yeah, and draft Fleener!

WR: Crabtree, D-Jax, Morgan
TE: Davis, Fleener

That would be sick.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
50 million for a WR not named Fitzgerald or Johnson??? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll no.

Sorry but there's no way the 49ers should blow a ton of money on a big name WR. No. No. No. FA WRs are the riskiest signings out there. For every success there are like 5 failures - easy. And I'm talking about names you know.

The 49ers lost the Championship because they didn't have proper depth. Kyle Williams shouldn't have been playing at WR, period - he was the 3rd string. We need to invest our money into bringing back the defense and finding diamonds in the rough at WR (like Victor Cruz) and through the draft. There are too many good unsigned players on defense which carried this team to let them go.

Unless you feel like Smith, unknown WR, Crabtree and an aging Gore will suddenly score 30 pts a game?

Didn't think so.

we averahed around 24 a game a big time WR would definitally put us at 30
50 million for a WR not named Fitzgerald or Johnson??? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll no.

Sorry but there's no way the 49ers should blow a ton of money on a big name WR. No. No. No. FA WRs are the riskiest signings out there. For every success there are like 5 failures - easy. And I'm talking about names you know.

The 49ers lost the Championship because they didn't have proper depth. Kyle Williams shouldn't have been playing at WR, period - he was the 3rd string. We need to invest our money into bringing back the defense and finding diamonds in the rough at WR (like Victor Cruz) and through the draft. There are too many good unsigned players on defense which carried this team to let them go.

Unless you feel like Smith, unknown WR, Crabtree and an aging Gore will suddenly score 30 pts a game?

Didn't think so.
more like they lost because williams was a #2 and freaking garbage swain and hastings were the others, we didnt even run 3 wrs sets because they were trash. signiing 2nd tier guys who can constantly get open will be better for our team. if we want to get a star wr thats where baalke and scouting need to do work.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I know every thread turns into an Alex thread, but.......

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.
I know how you feel. I'd love to see Alex go but the facts are these:

- We don't know if Peyton will ever play again or if he will come and if Harbaugh wants him.
- Brees is NOT leaving New Orleans.
- Colin is not ready. And even if he is, first year starting would be rough.
- The Freeagent wideouts will make a difference if we can get one and then draft well.
- There's no other free agent that is head and shoulders above what Alex is. Flynn is unproven then you have names like McKown, Orton, Grossman and Garrard on the free agent list. YUCK!! http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Any of those names excite you? Harbaugh knows taking a flyer on somebody rather than keeping Alex is a step back. I know, I know Alex is average
but you tell me who is healthy and a guaranteed upgrade?
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
I imagine this is the figure before cuts and restructuring. There's some dead weight to get rid of in terms of contracts, like Shawntae Spencer.

So you cut Moran Norris, Chilo Rachal, and Shawntae Spencer. Where does that leave the cap? Any other cuts?
Sign Mario Williams and go to the Super Bowl......
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I imagine this is the figure before cuts and restructuring. There's some dead weight to get rid of in terms of contracts, like Shawntae Spencer.

So you cut Moran Norris, Chilo Rachal, and Shawntae Spencer. Where does that leave the cap? Any other cuts?

Shockingly, I agree with SanDiego on this ...

Did I say shockingly?

If we sign Mario Williams to this defense we go from one of the best current defenses to the best defense of all time. Alex don't turn it over and we don't need WR's. We win every game....
Kilos of cocaine

Did I say shockingly?

If we sign Mario Williams to this defense we go from one of the best current defenses to the best defense of all time. Alex don't turn it over and we don't need WR's. We win every game....

Yeah, with Mario Williams, the pressure up front on D would be unreal. Justin Smith, Mario Williams, Aldon Smith - wow - just wow.

If the other team scores 0 they can't win....
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by valrod33:

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.

So what do you suggest we do?

sign V Jax, let alex go and start CK.

risky--but could be a huge payoff.

Originally posted by gavindirishmen:

I know how you feel. I'd love to see Alex go but the facts are these:

- We don't know if Peyton will ever play again or if he will come and if Harbaugh wants him.
- Brees is NOT leaving New Orleans.
- Colin is not ready. And even if he is, first year starting would be rough.
- The Freeagent wideouts will make a difference if we can get one and then draft well.
- There's no other free agent that is head and shoulders above what Alex is. Flynn is unproven then you have names like McKown, Orton, Grossman and Garrard on the free agent list. YUCK!! http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

Any of those names excite you? Harbaugh knows taking a flyer on somebody rather than keeping Alex is a step back. I know, I know Alex is average
but you tell me who is healthy and a guaranteed upgrade?

Oh, you are kind of misunderstanding my point. I have repeatedly said that I think Alex has earned the right to be our starting QB next year. I just dont want to overpay for him. I seriously dont think that there are other teams out there that would give Alex much of a contract. Which is why I hate the idea of giving him an eight digit salary, like a lot are suggesting.

Do I think any of those guys you listed are better options than Alex? No I dont. But if its going to take a third of our cap space to sign him, then I say let him walk and use the money to sign other key players. The idea that Alex is a 10-11 million a year player is completely insane to me.

Did I say shockingly?

Yeah, with Mario Williams, the pressure up front on D would be unreal. Justin Smith, Mario Williams, Aldon Smith - wow - just wow.

That would be rather insane... My goodness.

Front 3: McDonald, Sopoaga, Smith
Middle 4: Aldon, Bowman, Willis, Mario

On passing downs: Aldon, McDonald, Smith, Mario Williams.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Did I say shockingly?

imagine if we pick up dontari poe too along with all that

There would be no need to have much talent in the backfield
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Did I say shockingly?

That would easily be the best front LB group of all time IMO, and maybe the best front 7 as a whole ever.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Did I say shockingly?

That would easily be the best front LB group of all time IMO, and maybe the best front 7 as a whole ever.
Share 49ersWebzone