There are 257 users in the forums

49ers figure to have 30 Million in cap space

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I know every thread turns into an Alex thread, but.......

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.

That is true in large part because YOU make it that way.

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Would rather keep Alex and most our defensive free agents then give Peyton 15M a year. Plus we cant afford to lock up 15M+ a year for 3 or more years.

Peyton has already said that he would take a incentive laden contract.
Originally posted by Draftology:
If we want to resign our own guys, we will not have nearly enough money to sign any free agents.

These are the free agents most people seem to want us to resign:

Smith: $6-9 million
Goldson: $4-6 million
Rogers: $5-8 million
Morgan: $1-2 million
Snyder: $1-3 million
Ginn: $1-2 million
Brooks: $3-4 million
Costanzo: >$1 million

$21.5 million is the low based on these general numbers. $35 million is the high. It will likely fall somewhere in between to sign all of these guys plus we need money to sign draft picks. I personally think we can't sign everyone on that list, nor do I think we can afford to go after any high priced free agents

The high numbers are much closer. Forget about the low numbers for the pro bowlers.
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by English:

If we have 30 million to spend this offseason, investing 1/3 of that (or more) on Alex is a HUGE mistake.

Not re-signing the starting qb of a team which went 13-3 and was two bonehead plays away from the Super Bowl. That would be the HUGE mistake.

Particularly as we can afford him, it would send a disruptive message to the rest of the team.

NOT SURE IF AMIR.
Originally posted by valrod33:
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora suggests the 49ers and Rams as two suitors for free agent Vincent Jackson this offseason.
The Niners desperately need a vertical threat opposite Michael Crabtree while the Rams need to rebuild their wide receiver corps for Sam Bradford. "Those are the kind of teams I could see trying to go big for Vincent Jackson," said LaCanfora. The Chargers have indicated that V-Jax will not be franchised, but they are now open to a long-term deal.

If Jason Laconfora told me the sky was blue, I'd look up to be sure.
We gotta restructure Willis....I'm sure he'd be happy to for the team as many stars have before him. His cap number is 17.7 million
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Amir:

Not re-signing the starting qb of a team which went 13-3 and was two bonehead plays away from the Super Bowl. That would be the HUGE mistake.

Particularly as we can afford him, it would send a disruptive message to the rest of the team.

NOT SURE IF AMIR.

Alex will want to do what's best for the team so I am sure he will structure it that way. Paraag has done a great job of making the contracts work well with the cap yet giving the players what they deserve. I doubt Alex will cost 10 million on the cap.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by davidboutte:
We gotta restructure Willis....I'm sure he'd be happy to for the team as many stars have before him. His cap number is 17.7 million

We don't need him. Bowman is better and cheaper. I say we release Willis.
Originally posted by davidboutte:
5 year 50 million with 29 guaranteed... they must really have front loaded that if that is the cap #. I'm assuming they expected they wouldn't have as many good FAs as they do this year.

Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
If we want to resign our own guys, we will not have nearly enough money to sign any free agents.

$21.5 million is the low based on these general numbers. $35 million is the high. It will likely fall somewhere in between to sign all of these guys plus we need money to sign draft picks. I personally think we can't sign everyone on that list, nor do I think we can afford to go after any high priced free agents

The high numbers are much closer. Forget about the low numbers for the pro bowlers.

Yeah, won't have too much if any left after re-signing everyone we want plus our rookies. Rookies shouldn't cost much with the new CBA and us picking at 30 every round. Also, that 3.5 million saved from Spencer probably isn't figured in yet.
Sounds good to me!!! Just enough to sign Alex to a 10yr deal.
V-Jax seems too much of a liability. Plus he seems like he doesn't play @ 100%. I would like to see the Niners bring in some WR's like:
P. Garcon
M. Colston
M. Manningham
D. Jackson (if Ginn doesn't return)

Any one of these guys with that kid from Baylor in the first round, now your talking about some weapons.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Would prefer to keep the defense intact over going ga ga for a receiver.

Think about who we're going to be facing next year. Possibly Manning 2x, Brady, Rogers, Stafford, Eli, Brees. That defense is going to have to be elite.

Agreed. It's likely we'll only have around 8-10 mil in cap space after we re-sign most of our players. Anyone expecting a huge splash(WR) in free agency will likely be disappointed.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

The high numbers may be the their contract numbers but that is not going to be their cap numbers. That'll be lower than the contract numbers.
Share 49ersWebzone