There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

No way he will challenge for the job. His only hope is that Alex sustains a mild injury, and in those starts Kaep does well. Then and only then will a QB debate take place in 2012
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Nobody's dismissing anything? Do you believe Nate Davis or Troy Smith will be great QBs someday? Then why are these guys in the discussion?

As examples of people jumping to conclusions, always looking for the grass to be greener elsewhere. Kaepernick might turn out to be an incredible quarterback, and I hope he does, I have faith in Harbaugh that Kaepernick is something special, but you don't take a raw lower-division quarterback out of a Pistol offense and make him the starter after your current starting QB has a career year.

Aaron Rodgers played much tougher competition, was a lot less raw and he still sat for 3 years in Green Bay. What people are saying is stop counting your eggs before they hatch. Alex Smith should only play better next year with more weapons, its to Kaepernick's advantage to sit back, watch and study for another season to truly prepare him to be a starter in the NFL.
We could see more Kaep this year than last year (more wild-cat/ways to get him involved), still don't see him having a 'legit' starting shot until 2013, but he's going to make a strong case in training camp/preseason this year (he can only get better with the type of work ethic he produces) to not be ignored.

-This season could be pretty tough compared to last year, and wins/losses are determined by QB play (they're the scape-goats), so I wouldn't be surprised.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or Nate Davis....Or Troy Smith.......Or David Carr......49ers fans have a long-standing tradition of freaking out and promoting moves strictly based on emotion, not logic. :)
If Harbaugh didn't want Smith back he would of been added to the list as well. That's what we have with Kaepernick he was drafted by Harbaugh.

Oh, the irony. Smith has the talent to play the QB position and since Harbaugh sponsored him, all hopes were high for Smith prior to the start of 2011 Game 1.

However, Kaep has even more ability than Alex AND sponsored by Harbaugh, yet...he could be a bust???


ability to do what? Run fast and throw far? Maiocco has already said Kaepernick still throws everything like a fastball, and he's not going to play until he learns to put some touch on the ball and throw at different speeds. JC you are always rooting against Alex dude, you are more transparent than a sliding glass door.

The double-standard that is Alex Smith. Alex had this same problem. I just think ANYONE who has supported Alex Smith in hope for the better during his 7 years would be the LAST people to dismiss a QB with the talent and brains Kaep has.

My point, if Harbaugh can have success with a QB in Alex Smith (average throwing ability and above average speed) what makes people skeptical that he can't have more success with a QB like Kaep (elite throwing ability and elite speed)?


They aren't the same players. Alex never had the problem with the throwing motion that IMO Kaep does, and and he had better footwork. I'm not rooting against Kaep so much as I'm rooting for Alex, because I want to see how good he can get since we waited this long and he just kicked NO's ass in the playoffs, and put up the same amount of points vs NY that NE and Tom Brady did. He did that with Kyle Williams and Brett Swain as his 2nd and 3rd WRs. I don't see why we need to be jizzing ourselves over a 2nd year 2nd round pick who hasn't done anything in the NFL. Nothing against Kaep I just think Alex is a lot better than him right now.

Yes but what percent of people would have thought Alex (Mr. Ineffective) Smith of all people would have had this much success in his first year in one of the more complicated offenses he's ever dealt with plus no offseason?

What I'm saying is that Harbaugh should not be underestimated, not Kaep. Anyone who would question what Kaep may or may not do is completely dismissing what Harbaugh did with a QB that no one ever dreamed would happen considering that QB's em-mo. For anyone to dismiss Kaep or even Tolzien as a possible starter next year...well...it's ironic.

I understand that Smith holds a lot of weight in this considering what he did in 2011 and what he went through for this team. That's fine...I'm fine with that. But what is so unbelievable is how some want to write off Kaep or even Tolzien.

To note: I think Alex STILL has a problem with his throwing motion in that he only has one release point. Baalke mentioned how Kaep is able to release from different points and that's actually a plus. To state Brett Swain and Kyle Williams as our WR's does not dismiss the fact that he had MC, Vernon, and Morgan for enough games to rack some stats...and MC, Williams, and Vernon nearly all year to rack some stats. If you want to dismiss Williams as a threat, then I don't know what to say. He was VERY effective when he got playing time at WR.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Nobody's dismissing anything? Do you believe Nate Davis or Troy Smith will be great QBs someday? Then why are these guys in the discussion?

As examples of people jumping to conclusions, always looking for the grass to be greener elsewhere. Kaepernick might turn out to be an incredible quarterback, and I hope he does, I have faith in Harbaugh that Kaepernick is something special, but you don't take a raw lower-division quarterback out of a Pistol offense and make him the starter after your current starting QB has a career year.

Aaron Rodgers played much tougher competition, was a lot less raw and he still sat for 3 years in Green Bay. What people are saying is stop counting your eggs before they hatch. Alex Smith should only play better next year with more weapons, its to Kaepernick's advantage to sit back, watch and study for another season to truly prepare him to be a starter in the NFL.

Rodgers only sat 3 years because he had a lull named Brett Favre ahead of him. We have Alex Smith. Forget the fact that our coaching staff may have been improving Kaep and getting him ready to become an NFL QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Rodgers only sat 3 years because he had a lull named Brett Favre ahead of him. We have Alex Smith. Forget the fact that our coaching staff may have been improving Kaep and getting him ready to become an NFL QB.

Yeah, Alex Smith played so atrociously this year too, clearly he needs to get sent packing, that 90+ QB rating s**t just isn't cutting it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Rodgers only sat 3 years because he had a lull named Brett Favre ahead of him. We have Alex Smith. Forget the fact that our coaching staff may have been improving Kaep and getting him ready to become an NFL QB.

Yeah, Alex Smith played so atrociously this year too, clearly he needs to get sent packing, that 90+ QB rating s**t just isn't cutting it.

No one said he played terrible and now you are just diverting from what I said...however, aside for the low INT's, not very difficult to recreate...

Question: how many 80 yard drives did Alex Smith be part of that ended in TD's? I'm asking because let's hope for 40+ turnovers in 2012 for shorter drives.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM ]
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?
Originally posted by valrod33:
In his end-of-the-year meetings with Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick said the coaches advised him to focus on his mechanics.


In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal's Dan Hinxman, Kaepernick mentioned he needed to work on throwing from different arm angles and developing faster feet.


http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/07/kaepernick-ready-to-compete-for-starting-spot/
He still needs some work

Originally posted by 9erguy:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by valrod33:
In his end-of-the-year meetings with Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick said the coaches advised him to focus on his mechanics.


In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal's Dan Hinxman, Kaepernick mentioned he needed to work on throwing from different arm angles and developing faster feet.


http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/07/kaepernick-ready-to-compete-for-starting-spot/
He still needs some work

Originally posted by 9erguy:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I think it's safe to say Alex needs to do the same in bold. Not very much to work on if that's the biggest part of it. I wonder what Tolzien needs to work on.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by valrod33:
In his end-of-the-year meetings with Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick said the coaches advised him to focus on his mechanics.


In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal's Dan Hinxman, Kaepernick mentioned he needed to work on throwing from different arm angles and developing faster feet.


http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/07/kaepernick-ready-to-compete-for-starting-spot/
He still needs some work

Originally posted by 9erguy:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I see what youre saying and I agree. But don't you think a full offseason with harbaugh and staff can refine those abnormalities in his game? As far as his mechanics and throwing motion go, he is who he is...right?

Phillip Rivers has a funky throwing motion.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I agree. Other than his footwork, not sure if there's anything major to adjust. He's an athlete and it's not as difficult to fix the footwork unless he's being difficult himself. Looking forward to the QB competition after Kaep has had 4+ months to work on his feet.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 30,501
No.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by boast:
shocking news!

This, what the hell else is he expected to say?

"Uh, I must admit I thoroughly have fallen in love with carrying a clipboard on the sidelines, I now recognize that I have no further aspirations beyond that in football, believe me, I thought long and hard about it, I even had a long sit-down with my spiritual advisor, Glen Coffee."

+1

It's like a bunch of exaggerators feigning for something to talk about since the season ended
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I agree. Other than his footwork, not sure if there's anything major to adjust. He's an athlete and it's not as difficult to fix the footwork unless he's being difficult himself. Looking forward to the QB competition after Kaep has had 4+ months to work on his feet.
Yep...it's going to make for an interesting 4 months or so. If we sign Alex to a rather large contract and Kaepernick beats him in camp, what do we do? Just curious on your opinion. Sit Alex after he signs a deal making 8+ mil a year?(just a guess..maybe low balling him)