There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 33,100
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
Originally posted by sfout:
Copied from ESPN Insider regarding an interview with the Reno Gazette Journal...

After a one-year internship working under Alex Smith in the Jim Harbaugh-Greg Roman school of offensive football -- and with a full offseason ahead, thanks to the lack of a lockout this year -- rising second-year pro Colin Kaepernick feels that he is ready to mount a serious challenge for the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback job.

In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal, Kaepernick responded to a reader-submitted question as to his aims for the 2012 campaign. "I plan on being in San Francisco and plan on trying to take the starting job," Kaepernick responded. "That's what your goal is as a football player."

He also added that he believes he'll get "a fair shot" at wrangling the starting job away from Smith -- who, as we know, is unsigned, but expected back. With a full spring and summer of working with Harbaugh, Roman and the rest, this could be quite a battle in training camp.


http://www.rgj.com/article/20120207/COL0301/202050302/Hinxman-Q-Kaepernick-more-determined-win-starting-role-49ers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Good to see the kid is fired up about his opportunity. Anybody else think he has a realistic shot to claim the job?


i think i can win the ca state lottery too. dont mean its going to happen. we have put 7 years into alex and now that we see hes on his way lets bench him...alot of you guys are idiots.

Alex went from being hot garbage to a "safe" game managing type QB. Safe does not work forever. Ask the Titans about Kerry Collins second "safe" season. I dont think anybody is saying CK is definitely taking over, but its not an impossible task. I dont know enough about him to say yes, but Im confident he can compete.
yes alex was safe when he took off and ran for the td vs the saints. yes alex was safe when he never hesitated and fired one to vernon for the winner, yes alex was safe when he led us to many fourth quarter comebacks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ty Detmer.

I can see that. A few sparks, but the career is meh
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 33,100
i will assume that if we merge this thread with the alex thread, blood will run down the church walls and dogs will form in packs
Originally posted by lamontb:
I forgot all about the Nate Davis hype. That s**t was hilarious.

Nate Davis has found a new playing field.






Okay....that might be a tad-bit premature, but he's closing in the gap.




http://www.kccommand.com/roster/



He's playing with OJ Simpson.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,380
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'd be curious to see if his mechanics have improved. There aren't too many successful NFL quarterbacks with a big looping release. College QBs can get away with it but that dog don't hunt in the big leagues.

If CK can learn to put the ball up on his ear and fire away then he'll stand a chance.

I read one of the bay area articles a couple weeks ago saying that they've noticeably tightened up his throwing motion and shortened his delivery a little but as those stupid Sports Science segments on Tim Tebow belted out during the season it takes hundreds of reps a day for months on end to effectively alter the muscle memory that his body has built up over the past 10 years of his life playing football.

So ideally another year of tuning up his throwing motion and overall mechanics as well as improving his ability to read defenses would be the best case.

I wasn't attempting to imply that Kaepernick will win the job or that he should say "I need more time to develop" but rather just put it out there that the guy is going out of his way to say I can do it, which is nice to see that he isn't getting complacent.

Also the read is just another news item to give us something to discuss during these slow times of the first month of the off season :/
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
diva your such a diva lol. i only see you post smilies and copy paste your 5 words 5 times !

In his end-of-the-year meetings with Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman, 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick said the coaches advised him to focus on his mechanics.


In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal's Dan Hinxman, Kaepernick mentioned he needed to work on throwing from different arm angles and developing faster feet.


http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/07/kaepernick-ready-to-compete-for-starting-spot/
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,354
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Where in Fred's post did he say Kaepernick will or should be the starter? You're reading what you want to read rather than what is actually said in his post.

"I think he has a realistic shot." Harbaugh has stated that there will be a competition at every position, no jobs are handed out. That's a fact, therefore as of right now Kaepernick has a realistic shot at becoming the starter. Fred also said the better man will play, whether it's Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien, or anyone else who may join the roster.

Please continue your witch hunt for "Smith Haters" though.
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes alex was safe when he took off and ran for the td vs the saints. yes alex was safe when he never hesitated and fired one to vernon for the winner, yes alex was safe when he led us to many fourth quarter comebacks.

Haha nice.

Kaep would have to leave ZERO doubts in Harbaugh's mind to take the job after the year Smith has with this team. I don't care how "safe" he is if he helped get us a few Kyle Williams fumbles away from the Super Bowl. Oh and by the way, this is the first year of this offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 33,100
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Where in Fred's post did he say Kaepernick will or should be the starter? You're reading what you want to read rather than what is actually said in his post.

"I think he has a realistic shot." Harbaugh has stated that there will be a competition at every position, no jobs are handed out. That's a fact, therefore as of right now Kaepernick has a realistic shot at becoming the starter. Fred also said the better man will play, whether it's Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien, or anyone else who may join the roster.

Please continue your witch hunt for "Smith Haters" though.
it is not that hard to do, they are very easy to spot. If i draw a pentagram on the ground and chant " i summon thee 3 times",, the haters show up. of course alot of my x girl friends do to but thats a whole other story
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 33,100
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Where in Fred's post did he say Kaepernick will or should be the starter? You're reading what you want to read rather than what is actually said in his post.

"I think he has a realistic shot." Harbaugh has stated that there will be a competition at every position, no jobs are handed out. That's a fact, therefore as of right now Kaepernick has a realistic shot at becoming the starter. Fred also said the better man will play, whether it's Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien, or anyone else who may join the roster.

Please continue your witch hunt for "Smith Haters" though.
it is not that hard to do, they are very easy to spot. If i draw a pentagram on the ground and chant " i summon thee 3 times",, the haters show up. of course alot of my x girl friends do to but thats a whole other story

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes alex was safe when he took off and ran for the td vs the saints. yes alex was safe when he never hesitated and fired one to vernon for the winner, yes alex was safe when he led us to many fourth quarter comebacks.

Haha nice.

Kaep would have to leave ZERO doubts in Harbaugh's mind to take the job after the year Smith has with this team. I don't care how "safe" he is if he helped get us a few Kyle Williams fumbles away from the Super Bowl. Oh and by the way, this is the first year of this offense.
agree. i just want the kid to improve and be a better quarterback in five months as compared to what he is now. if he does i would feel much better about our back up qb spot behind alex heading into next year. we really got lucky with alex not getting hurt. Alex will also benifit from having a full off season as well in my opinions and hopefully with a upgrade in the wide out spots to
Colin kapernick has the skills to be a starter someday!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,354
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Where in Fred's post did he say Kaepernick will or should be the starter? You're reading what you want to read rather than what is actually said in his post.

"I think he has a realistic shot." Harbaugh has stated that there will be a competition at every position, no jobs are handed out. That's a fact, therefore as of right now Kaepernick has a realistic shot at becoming the starter. Fred also said the better man will play, whether it's Smith, Kaepernick, Tolzien, or anyone else who may join the roster.

Please continue your witch hunt for "Smith Haters" though.
it is not that hard to do, they are very easy to spot. If i draw a pentagram on the ground and chant " i summon thee 3 times",, the haters show up. of course alot of my x girl friends do to but thats a whole other story

Niner Talk is a lost cause.
my source tells me that harbaugh actually thought about starting Kap a few games last season.
Originally posted by sfout:
Copied from ESPN Insider regarding an interview with the Reno Gazette Journal...

Quote:
After a one-year internship working under Alex Smith in the Jim Harbaugh-Greg Roman school of offensive football -- and with a full offseason ahead, thanks to the lack of a lockout this year -- rising second-year pro Colin Kaepernick feels that he is ready to mount a serious challenge for the San Francisco 49ers' starting quarterback job.

In an interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal, Kaepernick responded to a reader-submitted question as to his aims for the 2012 campaign. "I plan on being in San Francisco and plan on trying to take the starting job," Kaepernick responded. "That's what your goal is as a football player."

He also added that he believes he'll get "a fair shot" at wrangling the starting job away from Smith -- who, as we know, is unsigned, but expected back. With a full spring and summer of working with Harbaugh, Roman and the rest, this could be quite a battle in training camp.



http://www.rgj.com/article/20120207/COL0301/202050302/Hinxman-Q-Kaepernick-more-determined-win-starting-role-49ers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Good to see the kid is fired up about his opportunity. Anybody else think he has a realistic shot to claim the job?

YES