There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Originally posted by boast:
i wonder what the Lord-God-King has to say about this?

He is just chilling, He will let these two battle it out and the day before the season He will tell Harbaugh He is starting, He will then lead us to the next 10 Super Bowls we wont lose a game in that span. He will then retire
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,211
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Harbaugh's banking on it.
when did he tell you that?
I'd be curious to see if his mechanics have improved. There aren't too many successful NFL quarterbacks with a big looping release. College QBs can get away with it but that dog don't hunt in the big leagues.

If CK can learn to put the ball up on his ear and fire away then he'll stand a chance.
Originally posted by boast:
shocking news!

This, what the hell else is he expected to say?

"Uh, I must admit I thoroughly have fallen in love with carrying a clipboard on the sidelines, I now recognize that I have no further aspirations beyond that in football, believe me, I thought long and hard about it, I even had a long sit-down with my spiritual advisor, Glen Coffee."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM ]
that kind of attitude is what you want. of course he's gonna say that. dood is young and competitive. i would be really worried if he said, "Naw man, i'm just gonna let Alex do his thing. I'll sit back and learn and collect this paycheck."
I think he looked shaky early, especially those handoffs...but he looked fine after that. I dont think he will be able to win the QB competition this year...I'd love to see us blow some teams out and get him more game time. Although that would also mean Alex is doing is job well, so WIN WIN.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This, what the hell else is he expected to say?

"Uh, I must admit I thoroughly have fallen in love with carrying a clipboard on the sidelines, I now recognize that I have no further aspirations beyond that in football, believe me, I thought long and hard about it, I even had a long sit-down with my spiritual advisor, Glen Coffee."

  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think he has a realistic shot, harbaugh will play the better man at qb

can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

I agree with you fully. I am not sure if it is that they really "hate" Alex Smith as much as it is that they have drawn their own line in the sand in thinking he could never be more than what he was playing with one arm. Now that he has shown himself to be one of the top 10 QBs in the league, their ego is making it very hard for them to admit they were wrong.

I will be very happy if CK plays well enough in the PS to assure us that it will not be a train wreck if Alex goes down with an injury.
Originally posted by cciowa:
can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Or Nate Davis....Or Troy Smith.......Or David Carr......49ers fans have a long-standing tradition of freaking out and promoting moves strictly based on emotion, not logic. :)
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,211
hey i hope the kid does play well, we got lucky this year only from the standpoint of alex not getting hurt. i will feel much better with the kid having an extra year under his belt to back up alex. unlike some fans, i will not root for kapp to fail. i have seen to much of that with alex,, people hoping he get hurt, people hoping he fails as they look to justify thier hate for him,. terrible fans in my opinion. as phoenix said, people tend to much to do what is popular or emotional and not what is right,, how did nate davis, cody whats this face, david carr and troy smith work out after people chanted for them. Carr lucked into a super bowl ring and what the hell else did any of those guys ever do?
I agree with sinsation that is definetely the attitude I would want to see from a second year QB. It means he's up to the challenge and wants to prove himself even if it means competing with the starter. I like to see this kind of confidense in our younger players witjout the cockiness of him saying he deserves it. Its not like the vick/mcnabb situation where it was 2 vets competing for the starting position. Its the younger QB showing he believes he's ready to take over, but knows it will be a rocky road and knows harbaugh is only going to put in who he thinks is best for the position. Can't wait for tc to start.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:
can we please wait untill camp opens up before we anoint a person who has thrown five regular season passes as our savior. It is so funny that so many people hate alex so much they are perfectly ok with handing the keys over to this kid. It is actually sad but whatever

Or Nate Davis....Or Troy Smith.......Or David Carr......49ers fans have a long-standing tradition of freaking out and promoting moves strictly based on emotion, not logic. :)

shaun hill, jt o sullivan, trent dilfer...
Originally posted by cciowa:
hey i hope the kid does play well, we got lucky this year only from the standpoint of alex not getting hurt. i will feel much better with the kid having an extra year under his belt to back up alex. unlike some fans, i will not root for kapp to fail. i have seen to much of that with alex,, people hoping he get hurt, people hoping he fails as they look to justify thier hate for him,. terrible fans in my opinion. as phoenix said, people tend to much to do what is popular or emotional and not what is right,, how did nate davis, cody whats this face, david carr and troy smith work out after people chanted for them. Carr lucked into a super bowl ring and what the hell else did any of those guys ever do?

Dont compare Kaepernick to those QBs you mentioned, he was handpicked by Harbaugh as the QB of the future so I can see why people are excited about him and want to see what he can do. I am an Alex Smith fan and I think he will be the starter next year but I am interested in seeing what Kaepernick can do
Great, you want every player to think that way.
Would be happy to see it.
Even if he doesn't win the starting job, I believe he will be more involved in the offense in "wildcat" formations and such.