There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 49ers have a very difficult road in future playoffs in the NFC.

Originally posted by RonMexico:
Ya I don't understand how some people think on this board. Stats, superbowls, wins. Someone can have all of those and someone will say they are "overrated"

They are not "elite" because they are not the reason their team's win. They are part of it, but not the reason.

Elite QBs in the NFL are Brees, Brady, Manning (Peyton), and Rogers. That's it. Their teams would be totally lost without them (as evidenced by the Colt's season). The Giants may not have won the Super Bowl if they lost Eli, but they sure as hell wouldn't have gone 2-14 either.
[ Edited by Gavintech on Feb 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM ]
The sky is falling.....
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Ya I don't understand how some people think on this board. Stats, superbowls, wins. Someone can have all of those and someone will say they are "overrated"

They are not "elite" because they are not the reason their team's win. They are part of it, but not the reason.

Elite QBs in the NFL are Brees, Brady, Manning (Peyton) and Rogers. That's it. Their team's would be totally lost without them (as evidenced by the Colt's season). The Giants may not have won the Super Bowl if they lost Eli, but they sure as hell wouldn't have gone 2-14 either.

their backup is david carr
[ Edited by crabman82 on Feb 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM ]
We will only get better next year and by alot if we can keep our key FA's and do well in the draft at filling the few remaining holes on the team.

Next year is a tough schedule but:

1. we will have a full offseason for our O to get more of the playbook installed and for us to become more in sync.
2. am sure we go out and get a #1 wr and or another stud TE, which will upgrade our passing attack by miles.
3. the biggest thing though is that we won this year and winning breeds confidence and a whole new attitude. This team believes in the coachs and themselves now and that will only make us tougher as time goes on.
Originally posted by crabman82:

He sure is. He was also on the Giants for two years before the 49ers signed him and guess what, the Giants did just fine when he had to step in and play for them. Sure the sample size was very small so it's not a great illustration, but it's what we have and shows that the Giants are not built around an elite QB, they are a quality defensive team with a good system on offense, so good even David Carr can step in from time to time and they don't miss a beat.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
New Orleans Saints: Elite QB. (Brees)
Green Bay Packers: Elite QB. (Rodgers)
New York Giants: Elite QB. (E. Manning)
Detroit Lions: Elite QB. (Stafford)

It's possible we have to beat 1 or 2 of these every single year to advance to where we want to go. Just think how hard that will be. I don't know how often we can even get back to the NFC Championship game. It will take quite an effort to make it even that far.

Good QB's:

Chicago Bears: Cutler
Atlanta Falcons: Ryan

I just don't know where this team is at. I don't know how many years this team can take out 1 of those or 2 of those or 3 of those if they are the wild card. It's going to be REALLY TOUGH.

New England has it easier. They are the only elite QB team. Pittsburgh is on and off with Roethlisburger. The Colts dropped off. The Jets dropped way down. The Houston QB situation is injured a lot. The AFC is easier to get through. By far I think.

Both the Giants and Saints have a LOT of big FA's that they (especially the Saints) won't be able to keep. I don't know how the Saints will do after losing some really key pieces. and the Giants are getting hit hard too. We will be able to keep most of our pieces but it doesn't look like these teams will
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by crabman82:

He sure is. He was also on the Giants for two years before the 49ers signed him and guess what, the Giants did just fine when he had to step in and play for them. Sure the sample size was very small so it's not a great illustration, but it's what we have and shows that the Giants are not built around an elite QB, they are a quality defensive team with a good system on offense, so good even David Carr can step in from time to time and they don't miss a beat.

he only came in during mop up garbage time, he never started a game and they very well could win only 2 games if he had to start a whole season, those 3 wrs? throw their production out the window
Stop being p***ys the Niners are a damn good football team. Other teams will be scared to play us!!!
Except for a few extraordinary yrs, it is always a struggle to win in the playoffs. Sure there are a handful of great or really good QBs out there(GB, Saints, Brady, Eli), but a great QB doesn't win the SB. A great TEAM does. And that is where I think we are sitting. On the precipice, waiting for 2 or 3 ballhawks on O, maybe well known, maybe not, to go with best D in league and best ST in league, along with best Coach in league. That is one helluva leg up on 31 other teams out there, no matter how great. Brady is terrific, but his team is nowhere near ours. Saints with Brees are really tough, but we still have better Team overall. As for playing NO or GB at home, that can be rectified by having a better record than either GB or NO...or NYG. Remember, we were 2 fumbled punts away from playing in yesterday's SB, with no #1, #2, nor #3 WR. Watch us once we get 3 guys who can catch the ball and use fakes and jukes to get open. Coach H's one failing this yr was to not oversee teaching of all WRs to put a fake in every route, or a juke, or comebackers(used liberally by the NYG yesterday, and PATS too. I just don't see this team after PS not coming out and being favored in virtually all games. WRs do have to come thru, but no way are Baalke and JH not pulling every string to bring in 3 guys who can a)get open and b) catch.
  • Veteran
Alex Smith took down Drew Brees..

Eli the Elite only scored 10 points on us.. Minus one Kyle Williams that's another win for Alex

We would have easily taken down the Pats. Alex Smith SuperBowl MVP

Im not pro-alex.. just saying you dont need to be an 'elite' QB to beat other elite guys.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Eli and Stafford are not elite QBs in my view. Good, but not elite.

Eli had 4,900 yards and has 2 Super Bowl wins. Stafford had 5,038 yards and 41 TD's.....

I don't think they're elite, I think they're very good QB's that benefit from the "new" NFL. A QB reaching 4,000 yards used to be a rarity, now it's becoming the norm. Consider that ten QB's threw over 4,000 yards this year. "Elite" loses some of its meaning when roughly 1/3 of the QB's in the league have done it.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 8008:
Alex Smith took down Drew Brees..

Eli the Elite only scored 10 points on us.. Minus one Kyle Williams that's another win for Alex

We would have easily taken down the Pats. Alex Smith SuperBowl MVP

Im not pro-alex.. just saying you dont need to be an 'elite' QB to beat other elite guys.

Elite is a cliche. Elite QBs look pretty average when they are pressured by a great pass rush and good quarterbacks look great when they have lots of time to pass. If the Niners can protect their own passers and get heat on the opposing passers, I wouldn't get hung up on how they'll navigate all of the elite arms. As we know from our past and present teams, a great defense can beat a great QB. SB over Marino. SB over Elway. SB over Essiasson. Beat Brees (barely). Should have beaten Eli twice. Also, some of our own offensive hangups stem from giving up too many sacks on offense. You might blame the line or Smith for holding it too long, but if they improve there and keep the pass rush intact that we saw this year, those opposing QBs won't seem so elite.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
"We will overcome any and all obstacles."

Who said that?
Originally posted by 1251alex:
lol. way to b***h out before the season starts. If anything, the NFC is going to have a hard time getting by the niners, much like they did this season. A team that was 6-10 the previous season went to the NFCC game with the same group of guys a year later. We upgrade a few key positions and you better watch out.

This!

I still say this season was like 83. Now in 84, you know what we did. I see 2012 the same way. Most of our team is returning. Our O playbook will expand, our D is intact and most important of all, IMO, is that all the coaches are returning. That nucleus will only make our team better by building off the rock solid foundation set to mold in 2011. Now that foundation will harden over the offseason giving us a solid team.

I expect our team to get better at WR and OG. We will have better depth at multiple positions. We will get that #1 WR. We will get that upgrade at ROG. We will get Brooks back or another young buck like Aldon to rotate along with Haralson.

We have plenty of good, solid options in FA AND the draft. Yes, this team will get better. And no, I am not worried about the next season.

What better way to earn the right to play in the SuperBowl after beating GB@GB, NE@NE, NO@NO while taking care of business at home. Those three games could all be primetime games including one on Thurs. while maybe doing a MNF against the Giants @hm.

We will continue where we left off!