LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Wins AP Coach of The Year, Other Niners snubbed!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
It's really hard for me to see harbaugh not bring back Alex. Will be golfing together and let Alex accept his award.

I think that might just have been convenience. Alex was already there because he was nominated for the Comeback Player of the Year award, and as the QB, is very well-suited for taking that position.

But it IS nice to think Alex is coming back. He's such a likeable guy and you'd like him to return and (hopefully) have success here.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Wubbie:

- Sure, Alex Smith didn't come back from an injury, but seriously... the things he's had to put up with in the past six seasons... the boos... the criticism... the losing... he's come back from more than an injury.

All that considered, Stafford came back from an injury and had a better season than Alex Smith. No way Alex deserves that award.

I am a homer and happy with Smith's play this year, but Stafford really did deserve this award.
Originally posted by buck:

- Sure, Alex Smith didn't come back from an injury, but seriously... the things he's had to put up with in the past six seasons... the boos... the criticism... the losing... he's come back from more than an injury.

All that considered, Stafford came back from an injury and had a better season than Alex Smith. No way Alex deserves that award.

I am a homer and happy with Smith's play this year, but Stafford really did deserve this award.

ya not upset with alex smith not getting it, it was a toss up. But justin smith was so dominate he should of gotten it and aldon was also snubbed
Props to Coach Harbaugh, can't wait to see the team with a full offseason and new additions!

CHICAGONINERFAN
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Last year our coach was the laughing stock of the NFL... this year we have the BEST COACH IN THE NFL... wow... nine years of pain, finally washing away.

This for sure
Not a big deal, but anyone know why Coach Harbaugh wasn't in attendance?
Originally posted by buck:

Don't really agree with that.

What makes a come back significant is when it seem impossible. Like our come back win against the Giants in the playoffs back in 2003.

Stafford was good before his injury. Then suffered and injury that no one thought would end his career. Then came back and was good again. Sure, he was really good. But that's not that big of a surprise.

Alex was written off by every expert in sports. That he was able to come back, play as well as he played (and please, don't think that just because he didn't throw for 5000 yards he didn't play well), and lead the team that deep into the playoffs is one of the biggest turns arounds in recent football history.

Also, I think you could make the argument that Alex's come back is also a come back from injury. The shoulder separation he suffered at the start of his third year is where his career took a bad turn. Until that point his play was steadily improving. His second season featured a handful of good performances and ended with a huge win over Denver. Then his third year started with a huge come from behind win over Arizona. I really think that if had a season like the 2011 season in his third year, instead of a season taken away by injury, people would just see it as a natural and logical progression.

Whatever. There are whole threads dedicated to this. I just think that even though Stafford had a better season, I would still consider Alex's story the biggest come back story in football this year.
being snubbed is a good thing. Coach can use this to really push the players next season.

Also Matthew (throw it to Johnson) Stafford was a joke. If AS had Johnson we'd have won the superbowl end of.
in Harbaugh we trust.

Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Aguirre86:
It's kind of hard to give the award to Aldon Smith when he was a situational player and not playing as much as Miller or as effectively. I mean overall in terms of performance as a full time player instead of a situational one.

Is that a joke....effectively??? Yeah sure Aldon was great against the run and the best against the pass. Von miller struggled he even GOT BENCHED this season bc he was too inconsistent. Aldon is a better pass rusher and better against the run. He did better with a lot less snaps, Aldon deserved it
I completely agree ... not sure when the voting took place but do u think His DUI affected him. I think the biggest snub of them all was Justin Smith
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Sorry guys, Alex Smith doesn't deserve s**t. You don't get awards for finally not sucking.

Aldon got jacked.
Originally posted by Chief:
Sorry guys, Alex Smith doesn't deserve s**t. You don't get awards for finally not sucking.

Aldon got jacked.

alex did more than not suck

he was a top 10 qb this year

that being said stafford also deserved it

just like von miller also deserved it

neither of them got snubbed
Originally posted by elguapo:
And both were NOT inconsistent just miller. Wow! Where are you getting this? Big time Face palm

To be fair, I think that Aldon would of had a lot more mistakes if he started all downs from day one, like Miller. Luckily, our coaches worked him in slowly and put him in position to succeed. His assigment was pretty simple 99 percent of the time; see QB, kill QB. Luckily for us, he does that better than anyone I've seen. Even when he doesn't sack said QB, there is constant pressure.

I do agree with you though, Aldon Smith should have been DROY. After QB everyone wants an elite passrusher and Aldon is better than Miller in that category (14 > 11) It still kind of burns me that Harbaugh and co didn't let Aldon loose on the final game of the year. You only get one shot at breaking a rookie record...
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM ]
Congrats Coach!

Share 49ersWebzone