LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Wins AP Coach of The Year, Other Niners snubbed!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
Yes he did get benched remember he gave up a 30+ yard td and they removed him. Also it was noted that he was missing some assignments, assignments that smith did not miss like miller did. So you are definitely wrong here, and miller is certainly NOT the better overall player. Why, just because Denver did not have good lobs like brooks and haralson like we do.

You do realize Miller was a starter and played virtually every single down where as Smith was a situational player. He was mostly on the field when the other team was going to pass and rarely if ever was he in there for running situations. Miller had about 100 more snaps and both were inconsistent but again if Smith was so good this year and better than he would have been starting every single game or at least one game but he didn't.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
comeback player of the year shouldn't be set to just injuries only. Smith should have won in a landslide
As I said in the NFL forum re: DPOY

I simply can NOT believe that Suggs got it over Smith. 9 of Suggs' 14 sacks came in 3 games and that was his only responsibility too...it wasn't like he was a dominant force against the run or in coverage. So think about that for a sec...his only job is to rush the passer and yet in 13 of 16 games he combined for 5 sacks. Vs. a guy like Justin Smith who on almost every play caused 2 o-linemen to block him which in and of itself is of TREMENDOUS value even if he didn't make any plays...just the value of freeing up Aldon, Pat, Bo, etc. Think of guys like Pat Williams, Ted Washington, etc. Those guys are considered OUTSTANDING players even though they weren't playmakers but just because teams had to use 2 OL on them all the time...Smith had that same attribute PLUS made TONS of plays in both the passing game and running game despite all the attention on him (and, as I said, allowing those around him to make way more plays than they ordinarily would have). As far as I'm concerned, Smith's 2011 season is up there with any other single season by any other defensive player EVER. He really was THAT dominant.
Great Job Coach!! Harbaugh did a hell of a job.
But all you fools talking about Alex, GIVE ME A BREAK! Alex Smith would be coming back from nothing but sucking.
If Alex won CPoY, I would say congratulations Alex here's your trophy for not being garbage.
You don't get comeback player of the year for finally being decent, or having a winning season. Alex Smith was not good for 6 years
and that's his fault. Honoring him for not being garbage would be disgraceful. Our generation is full of people who want to be recognized
for being 2nd or 3rd or for being average and that's just silly.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Saw this coming.

Justin and Aldon got snubbed. Alex didn't deserve his award over Stafford.

At least Harbaugh got what he deserves.
if alex ever gets an award can he keep it or must it stay with the 49ers when he leaves ?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Aguirre86:
It's kind of hard to give the award to Aldon Smith when he was a situational player and not playing as much as Miller or as effectively. I mean overall in terms of performance as a full time player instead of a situational one.

Is that a joke....effectively??? Yeah sure Aldon was great against the run and the best against the pass. Von miller struggled he even GOT BENCHED this season bc he was too inconsistent. Aldon is a better pass rusher and better against the run. He did better with a lot less snaps, Aldon deserved it

I'm Aldon's biggest fan, and I think he is a more valuable player to us than Von Miller would be to us, but I don't have a problem with Von Miller winning it. He started more games, that is the thinking there. Per snap, Aldon crushed him, but few awards are given to "per-snap" performers.

14 sacks > 11.5 sacks, situational or not.

Not only that, but the tackle numbers are not that far off either when you consider the way Aldon was used.

Maybe you're right, maybe it should be decided by stats all the way. But regardless of stats, I personally believe the players are equally talented.
Originally posted by Paul:
comeback player of the year shouldn't be set to just injuries only. Smith should have won in a landslide

Obviously it isn't set to just injuries because Alex was nominated. He didn't deserve it over Stafford. Only 49ers fans would even attempt to make the argument for Alex. Stafford had a great season. Alex had a good season led by his defense.
Originally posted by andes14:
As I said in the NFL forum re: DPOY

I simply can NOT believe that Suggs got it over Smith. 9 of Suggs' 14 sacks came in 3 games and that was his only responsibility too...it wasn't like he was a dominant force against the run or in coverage. So think about that for a sec...his only job is to rush the passer and yet in 13 of 16 games he combined for 5 sacks. Vs. a guy like Justin Smith who on almost every play caused 2 o-linemen to block him which in and of itself is of TREMENDOUS value even if he didn't make any plays...just the value of freeing up Aldon, Pat, Bo, etc. Think of guys like Pat Williams, Ted Washington, etc. Those guys are considered OUTSTANDING players even though they weren't playmakers but just because teams had to use 2 OL on them all the time...Smith had that same attribute PLUS made TONS of plays in both the passing game and running game despite all the attention on him (and, as I said, allowing those around him to make way more plays than they ordinarily would have). As far as I'm concerned, Smith's 2011 season is up there with any other single season by any other defensive player EVER. He really was THAT dominant.

Putting quarterbacks aside. Justin Smith is the best player in the league. He is the ultimate football player in every possible conception of the word "ultimate" and the phrase "football player".

Who voted for this thing anyway? I don't know much about it. Anyway, whoever voted for it, they are dimwits. And I hope their feelings are hurt with that comment.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM ]
Originally posted by 3-BALL:
Saw this coming.

Justin and Aldon got snubbed. Alex didn't deserve his award over Stafford.

At least Harbaugh got what he deserves.
if alex ever gets an award can he keep it or must it stay with the 49ers when he leaves ?

I would think you get to keep any individual awards. Or were U being sarcastic?
This is all a setup for KW to upset Brees and Rogers for league MVP

I don't care if Alison wa situational, the way the nfl judges criteria for defensive players should be the same, of Suggs wins ony because of sacks then Alison deserves to win because of sad only as well. Justin was the all around best player but the award went to Suggs cuz of sacks therefore Alison deserves it because he had more sacks!
Originally posted by Aguirre86:
You do realize Miller was a starter and played virtually every single down where as Smith was a situational player. He was mostly on the field when the other team was going to pass and rarely if ever was he in there for running situations. Miller had about 100 more snaps and both were inconsistent but again if Smith was so good this year and better than he would have been starting every single game or at least one game but he didn't.

You must not understand this concept so I will try to explain it in a very simple way. Bad teams with glaring weaknesses start rookies usually right away. That was denvers defense. Miller was a starter bc they had nobody in front of him that was even AVERAGE. The niners had brooks and haralson who are both good. We did NOT have to start right away but he played a lot of snaps and I got more news for you. MOST teams passed against the niners bc they couldn't run. So smith was in a lot of the time and was like a starter. Even if he wasn't an every down player that DOESN'T mean he was not as good. The niners could afford to use smith on nickel packages and sometimes base.

Here's some more logic for you. If gore was backup to let's say Barlow and is not the starter and gained 1000+ yards and 5-6ypc and more tds as a rookie than another rookie starting RBI that did worse as a full starter that didn't share many carries......that still means gore is better than the other rookie player that was a "starter" I hope you follow bc most of the vets and other people on the forum do agree that smiths stats were better than miller hands down and again smith did not get benched like miller did.
And both were NOT inconsistent just miller. Wow! Where are you getting this? Big time Face palm
Alex Smith accepted the award on JHs behalf (man he loves him some Alex). But most importantly I liked that JH wasnt there when all the other coaches were.gives me the feeling that hes busy watching film trying to make the team better.
Originally posted by sean610:
Alex Smith accepted the award on JHs behalf (man he loves him some Alex). But most importantly I liked that JH wasnt there when all the other coaches were.gives me the feeling that hes busy watching film trying to make the team better.

No he's home boning his wife who is hotter than his brothers wife. Just like smith is better than suggs
Share 49ersWebzone