There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ahmad Brooks let him go or keep him?

Originally posted by sfout:
Trent Baalke On if Aldon Smith will be a full time player this coming season

Asked whether he thought Aldon Smith would have a full-time role in 2012, Baalke almost laughed. "Yeah - I think that's safe to say, yes," he said of Smith, who had 14 regular-season sacks in 2011. Smith played exclusively in nickel situations this past season, and he mostly lined up at defensive end, not outside linebacker.

Smith's 2012 counterpart at outside linebacker is up in the air. Ahmad Brooks started every game this past season but is an unrestricted free agent. Parys Haralson was other starter last season but gave way to Smith on passing downs. Haralson and Smith are the only potential outside linebackers signed for next season.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/02/baalke-on-qb-situation-its-not-something-were-stressed-out-about.html#storylink=cpy



Really shows you that Baalke is prepared to let Brooks walk if need be.

I think Baalke is prepared to let anyone walk if need be, to be honest. they have a price for every player and they won't go beyond it, and they have a plan, and probably contingencies as well. Not that Baalke is all-seeing and that everything goes according to his plans or anything, but I think the dude is prepared and focused and knows what he's doing.
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,023
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think Baalke is prepared to let anyone walk if need be, to be honest. they have a price for every player and they won't go beyond it, and they have a plan, and probably contingencies as well. Not that Baalke is all-seeing and that everything goes according to his plans or anything, but I think the dude is prepared and focused and knows what he's doing.

Yep he's meticulous as hell. Pretty much has a grid system and follows one path until it gets to bad then drops down one peg and repeats until he succeeds.


Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.

for the 18th time Manny Lawson is not a true 3 - 4 OLB. He is a 2 down 4 - 3 Weakside backer, not a fit, its why we got rid of him in the first place and why he played so well for Cinncy in their 4 - 3. now let it go.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think Baalke is prepared to let anyone walk if need be, to be honest. they have a price for every player and they won't go beyond it, and they have a plan, and probably contingencies as well. Not that Baalke is all-seeing and that everything goes according to his plans or anything, but I think the dude is prepared and focused and knows what he's doing.

Yep he's meticulous as hell. Pretty much has a grid system and follows one path until it gets to bad then drops down one peg and repeats until he succeeds.


Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.

for the 18th time Manny Lawson is not a true 3 - 4 OLB. He is a 2 down 4 - 3 Weakside backer, not a fit, its why we got rid of him in the first place and why he played so well for Cinncy in their 4 - 3. now let it go.

Weakside? really? So you think he was bad in coverage against TEs? Funny..cuz i thought he was amazing. Weakside is usually the pass rusher..which is arguably his weak spot.

I'd be really good with bringing Lawson back now that we have a full time pass rusher.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,987
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.

some things are not worth answering(i should have done this yesterday )
Well it is starting to look like Brooks is going to leave. Even if Aldon Smith is a full time starter, I think there's a huge drop off if Brooks does leave.

Nobody in the draft is ready to start at the 3-4 outside backer position unless you are talking about a Von Miller type but you aren't going to get that guy where we are picking. We are going to be really thin at outside backer and if someone gets hurt we will be screwed!

It will be interesting to see which of the Niners FA will come back or take less money to stay here.

1) Goldson - I think the 49ers really like him, now he didn't sign 25 dollar contract, how much more do we pay him
2) Alex Smith - Won't be hard to resign alex. How many years?
3) Rogers for under 7 million
4) Brooks for 4 years 7 million a year (I wonder what they offered him)
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,987
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Well it is starting to look like Brooks is going to leave. Even if Aldon Smith is a full time starter, I think there's a huge drop off if Brooks does leave.

Nobody in the draft is ready to start at the 3-4 outside backer position unless you are talking about a Von Miller type but you aren't going to get that guy where we are picking. We are going to be really thin at outside backer and if someone gets hurt we will be screwed!

It will be interesting to see which of the Niners FA will come back or take less money to stay here.

1) Goldson - I think the 49ers really like him, now he didn't sign 25 dollar contract, how much more do we pay him
2) Alex Smith - Won't be hard to resign alex. How many years?
3) Rogers for under 7 million
4) Brooks for 4 years 7 million a year (I wonder what they offered him)
i am sorry but what is so hard to understand. let brooks walk if he wants 8 million dollars. put aldon in his place, you got haralson as a good backup and then you draft a nice rookie or maybe you get lucky and find a cheap free agent later in the summer. brooks is not coming back for 8 million and manny lawson is an ex niner for a reason.
Anyone know what the status of Jarret Johnson is? He's not the pass rusher Brooks is...but he's better at all the other facets...
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Anyone know what the status of Jarret Johnson is? He's not the pass rusher Brooks is...but he's better at all the other facets...

I know Chuck Pagano is looking to bring him over to Indy to play in his 3-4. He's good, not as good as Brooks but we might be able to afford him.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but what is so hard to understand. let brooks walk if he wants 8 million dollars. put aldon in his place, you got haralson as a good backup and then you draft a nice rookie or maybe you get lucky and find a cheap free agent later in the summer. brooks is not coming back for 8 million and manny lawson is an ex niner for a reason.

This is why:

Right now Aldon is learning to be an every down WILL who will line up behind or next to Justin Smith on stunts, sealing the edge but b/c he's on the weak side (blind side), he will have a VERY heavy focus on getting to the QB first and foremost! You don't suddenly ask him to start over McDonald and rush from the left side of the field where the QB can see him in plain view every time.

The SAM (Brooks position) is different...a lot different. The WILL is balls out for the QB every snap en route to sealing the edge. The SAM however, is generally lined up over the TE and has to play off his blocking as well as a RT and sometimes a RB as well. He doesn't just blow up the field. Often times he is to stay at the LOS, crash down on the TE or chuck him and disrupt his route, provide underneath coverage, diagnose screens and other potentially dangerous plays quickly and make those TFL while taking on two guys as well as seal the edge and force the action inside to Willis/Bowman. The fact that Brooks had 8 sacks with 46 pressures in plain view of the QB is a HUGE success. The fact that he also lead the team in TFL "and" was top 6 in total tackles is quite remarkable. The fact that he also provided very good underneath coverage and had outside containment on WR/RB's was tremendous. That he is young and can play every LB position on the team (even MIKE) as well as DE and further inside at DT (saw that this year) is remarkable.

Aldon Smith has a long way to go before he will be a complete LB like this and no rookie or FA is just going to step in and solve this problem if Brooks leaves. This is why, if forced too, you franchise him and sign Carlos/Alex and offer Goldson his original contract of 5 for 25. Of all the players, Goldson, IMHO, is the least valuable and in the 3-4, the front 7 always trumps your back end. You do everything you can to improve (or in this case, maintain) the front 7. You give him fair market value and ask Rogers/Goldson to sign that home town discount.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I think Baalke is prepared to let anyone walk if need be, to be honest. they have a price for every player and they won't go beyond it, and they have a plan, and probably contingencies as well. Not that Baalke is all-seeing and that everything goes according to his plans or anything, but I think the dude is prepared and focused and knows what he's doing.

Yep he's meticulous as hell. Pretty much has a grid system and follows one path until it gets to bad then drops down one peg and repeats until he succeeds.


Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.

for the 18th time Manny Lawson is not a true 3 - 4 OLB. He is a 2 down 4 - 3 Weakside backer, not a fit, its why we got rid of him in the first place and why he played so well for Cinncy in their 4 - 3. now let it go.

Weakside? really? So you think he was bad in coverage against TEs? Funny..cuz i thought he was amazing. Weakside is usually the pass rusher..which is arguably his weak spot.

I'd be really good with bringing Lawson back now that we have a full time pass rusher.

Great points, Jake. And I totally agree (otherwise they wouldn't be great points.... )

P.S. you where right about "The Catch," it was not impromptue, my bad.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We can get Manny Lawson for 2-3 million.

some things are not worth answering(i should have done this yesterday )

Such a stupid comment. Yes, we understand that the primary responsiblity of a 3-4 OLB is to rush the passer. However, I hope you understand that teams dont pass 100 percent of the time. Most teams probably are about 55 to 45 (pass to run). That means 45 percent of the time Lawson will be doing what he excels at (better than Brooks, IMO) setting the edge. He is also well above average (For OLBs) when it comes to covering. Having Lawson allows us to be creative with our coverage schemes when facing two TE sets or elite TEs. Finally, Lawson often times got pressure, but he lacked that final move to seal the deal. Ultimately, with guys like Smith and Smith and even McDonald his pressure should be enough for someone to sack the QB. Btw, when Lawson was on the team he lined up behind Soap, not RayMac.....who is far more dangerous at the point of attach.

P.S. I dont think any of you really know why they let go of Lawson. You assume it was because they thought he sucked, but there is a very real possiblity he wasn't taking the demotion well and having him around could of caused locker room problems. No one really knows.

P.P.S: Again, if we can keep Brooks that's prefered, but if not Manny is not a bad option, imo.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for FGore2121.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i am sorry but what is so hard to understand. let brooks walk if he wants 8 million dollars. put aldon in his place, you got haralson as a good backup and then you draft a nice rookie or maybe you get lucky and find a cheap free agent later in the summer. brooks is not coming back for 8 million and manny lawson is an ex niner for a reason.

This is why:

Right now Aldon is learning to be an every down WILL who will line up behind or next to Justin Smith on stunts, sealing the edge but b/c he's on the weak side (blind side), he will have a VERY heavy focus on getting to the QB first and foremost! You don't suddenly ask him to start over McDonald and rush from the left side of the field where the QB can see him in plain view every time.

The SAM (Brooks position) is different...a lot different. The WILL is balls out for the QB every snap en route to sealing the edge. The SAM however, is generally lined up over the TE and has to play off his blocking as well as a RT and sometimes a RB as well. He doesn't just blow up the field. Often times he is to stay at the LOS, crash down on the TE or chuck him and disrupt his route, provide underneath coverage, diagnose screens and other potentially dangerous plays quickly and make those TFL while taking on two guys as well as seal the edge and force the action inside to Willis/Bowman. The fact that Brooks had 8 sacks with 46 pressures in plain view of the QB is a HUGE success. The fact that he also lead the team in TFL "and" was top 6 in total tackles is quite remarkable. The fact that he also provided very good underneath coverage and had outside containment on WR/RB's was tremendous. That he is young and can play every LB position on the team (even MIKE) as well as DE and further inside at DT (saw that this year) is remarkable.

Aldon Smith has a long way to go before he will be a complete LB like this and no rookie or FA is just going to step in and solve this problem if Brooks leaves. This is why, if forced too, you franchise him and sign Carlos/Alex and offer Goldson his original contract of 5 for 25. Of all the players, Goldson, IMHO, is the least valuable and in the 3-4, the front 7 always trumps your back end. You do everything you can to improve (or in this case, maintain) the front 7. You give him fair market value and ask Rogers/Goldson to sign that home town discount.

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,987
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Such a stupid comment. Yes, we understand that the primary responsiblity of a 3-4 OLB is to rush the passer. However, I hope you understand that teams dont pass 100 percent of the time. Most teams probably are about 55 to 45 (pass to run). That means 45 percent of the time Lawson will be doing what he excels at (better than Brooks, IMO) setting the edge. He is also well above average (For OLBs) when it comes to covering. Having Lawson allows us to be creative with our coverage schemes when facing two TE sets or elite TEs. Finally, Lawson often times got pressure, but he lacked that final move to seal the deal. Ultimately, with guys like Smith and Smith and even McDonald his pressure should be enough for someone to sack the QB. Btw, when Lawson was on the team he lined up behind Soap, not RayMac.....who is far more dangerous at the point of attach.

P.S. I dont think any of you really know why they let go of Lawson. You assume it was because they thought he sucked, but there is a very real possiblity he wasn't taking the demotion well and having him around could of caused locker room problems. No one really knows.

P.P.S: Again, if we can keep Brooks that's prefered, but if not Manny is not a bad option, imo.
thank you for schooling me,, that being said, he is not coming back
If we don't re-sign Brooks, prepare for a barrage of "(Insert random Niner) can play OLB?" threads
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home