There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why have the 49ers not gotten any better on 3rd down throughout the last couple of years?

Boot, can you post some stats comparing us to other teams?

Vernon Davis runs a longer route on the 3rd & 1 and Dixon doesn't get tripped up and we are 3 for 13 in the game. So not bad
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
its funny you say the last couple years, but I just looked and we haven't ranked higher than 22nd in third down conversions since 2003. I think there are a miriad of reason, but mostly because we have been a bad team. I think its clearly a combination of 1) Poor OL play 2) Poor play calling 3) Poor QB play 4) Poor WR play - yes a BAD offense. This is a good thread for those who wish to bash on Smith to jump to that conclusion... but really I think placing it squarely on his shoulders is just not accurate.

I think if you look at our average distance to go on third downs you will be shocked at how many third and long situations the offense has been in. The offense has struggled on first down - a lot of runs for little or no gain, sacks for losses, and then we have third and long which almost always ends badly.

I would say the OL is the primary reason for our lack of success... and I think the play calling (a lot of runs) is a result of the poor OL play. QB play has not been great, I attribute some of that to the QB and some of that to the fact that we have given up so many sacks.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the common denominator is 11

this
Crystal clear..my Pats buddy's still making fun of this fellow and me because of Smith..especially when I bring up the 1-13 3rd down conversions, or lack of..
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Crystal clear..my Pats buddy's still making fun of this fellow and me because of Smith..especially when I bring up the 1-13 3rd down conversions, or lack of..

your "Pats buddy" doesn't know anything about football.
Lots of things

Coaching, QB play, WR play, line play lol
Cleverly disguised "Alex Smith sucks" thread
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
the common denominator is 11

So is Frank Gore and Vernon Davis...
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I think these guys have a point about this common denominator. Alex has improved this year on his decision making yes, but there are times I think he holds himself back because of either: A. He doesn't trust his receivers, his chemistry with them, timing, etc etc. or B. He doesn't trust his accuracy enough to make quick throws into tight windows. OR, it could be a combination of both. Whichever it is, Alex needs to develop the rapport he already has with VD with each and every other receiver no matter who they are in this offense.
O Hai....I'm defendah...
[ Edited by Danny49er1997 on Feb 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM ]
Rigggghttttt, sure he don't and the others as well too...
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Lol everyone saying Alex, Common denominator, really? Seriously, they should have a "fan" requirement where you actually have to have knowledge of the team, and the actual plays that were run on that down, that exact situation. Not just because you hate on "YOUR" team's QB. Fact of the matter is, this past season included, the play-calling is atrocious. I remember where we were inside enemy territory after a beautiful Alex to Vernon bomb, and ran 3 STRAIGHT halfback dives!!!! Jeez, it is Alex Smith!!!! Put your mouth where my a** is and gobble up some of my processed knowledge. Seriously, go back on you're Capernot train, making this an Alex Smith bashing thread.
There's A LOT of reasons, and none of them are incorrect:

1.) Alex Smith doesn't have great chemistry with any of his wide receivers. After Michael Crabtree, we never had a consistently healthy wide receiver in the lineup.

2.) Offensive line is still shaky.

3.) Lack of a #1 wide receiver with reliable hands hurts us. Need a guy who can catch 90 balls a year. Who does Alex Smith trust to throw to on 3rd and 5? Crabtree? VD? Delanie? None of our guys have consistently good hands.

4.) Alex Smith has a very conservative style. Many times he'll throw it away, take a sack, or dump it off. No turnovers there... but also no first downs.

5.) Still-developing offense that people forget has had a minimal amount of time together under the same staff. Prolific offenses like the Saints or Patriots have had their key players around for awhile in the same offensive system. Again, it comes down to chemistry and comfort within the system. Alex Smith's a very good QB when he throws to Vernon Davis, but not so much the other guys. It depends on how things look next year. If there's marked improvement with an offseason under a good offensive staff, things could look interesting.
Rigggghttttt, sure he don't and the others as well too...
Originally posted by HessianDud:

why would he make fun of you because of Alex Smith? Did Alex chief you at a party?

[ Edited by Bootlegger on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM ]
teams all out blitzed the Niners on 3rd downs---the reactions of the offensive players needed to be faster/ smarter/ whatever it is--execution has to be decisive and quick--Niners didn't have a lot of time on 3rd downs.
So this is what's happened to all the Smith bashers. Where were our wide receivers? Seems to me Alex and Vernon took over the saints game and were souly responsible for winning it. Meanwhile, we lost our best wr early in the season, and Edwards wasn't even good enough at 1 million to keep. If Morgan comes back healthy and we sign/draft a top wr, we will be fine.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home