LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

3rd Down transcript of NFC Championship Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know its been a really tough loss for everyone, it was hard for me to re-watch the game to write this transcript. I wanted to see why the 49ers were so awful on 3rd Down conversion. I don't know if I missed one or not, but I counted a total of 14 attempts. 2 of the 3rd down attempts were nullified by penalties. I also wanted to see who was at fault for not converting those 3rd downs.

3rd and 4 - Alex Missed passed behind Gore across the middle. (Pass might have beem tip) - Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd and 14 - Pass thrown to sidelines nearly picked. (Kyle Williams fumbles pitch back) lost of 10 yards. Punt, fault to Kyle Williams (fumble lost of 10 yards).
3rd and 2 - Complete to Kyle Williams for 1st Down. (Penalty for legal hands to the face on CB) Automatic 1st down, attempt nullified.
3rd and 5 - Alex flush out of pocket tackeled form behind gain of 2. (VD personal foul cost team 15 yards and could of been in FG range) Punt, fault to O-line.
3rd and 9 - Alex force to step up and run for short gain. 4th 7 Punt, fault to O-line.

End of First Half

3rd 19 - False start by Staley adds 5 yards to 3rd and 14. (Illegal contact on CB pushing Kyle Williams after 5 yards) Automatic first down, attempt nullified.
3rd 6 - Alex throws to Walker, knock down by LB nice defensive play. Results in Punt, fault to no one.
3rd 7 - Alex completes to Gore out to flat, gain of 5. Results in Punt, fault to O-line, Alex and Gore.
3rd 1 - Dixon stop for no gain. Results in Punt, fault to O-line and Dixon.
3rd 5 - Alex completes to Crabs near sidelines 3 yard gain. Results in FG, fault to Alex and Crabs.
3rd 7 - Alex Sacked. Result in Punt, fault to O-line.
3rd 10 - Alex Incomplete pass between VD and Walker. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 8 - Alex completes to Walker for 1st down with no time left in regulation. 3rd down Converted.

End of Regulation

3rd 12 Alex completes pass to VD, a yard short of 1st Down. Results in Punt, fault to VD (for not running route deep enough)

End of Season

Obviously there is plenty of blame to go around. Hopefully with a full off-season and proven #1 WR and Morgan back, it will improve. Can't wait for next year and another opportunity to be back in the play-offs.

Go 49ers!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
mushugonna
When you say proven #1, you're talking about a FA, right?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
When you say proven #1, you're talking about a FA, right?

Yeah, someone who knows how to run precise routes, help the QB when plays break down, make tough and clutch catches. A receiver that can put pressure on the defense and make it hard for D Coordinators to game plan for.
Wish Alex would've taken at least one accurate shot at a WR...the high pass to Crabtree and the 4 others at his feet don't count.
One problem is that eight of those 3rd downs were 6 yards or more, 5 of those are 9 yards or more. So that's bad right there. I think what really killed us is that we went away from the running game. I don't know how hurt gore was but Hunter should have got the ball more. We were running on the giants. Suddenly we went all pass and played right into the strength of the Giants which is to rush the passer. So I put a lot of the blame on Roman at the end of the game, but he also made some great calls throughout the game too.

I just think with the longer 3rd downs really showed our weakness in the passing game but not having Ginn hurt us so much, give this team an offseason with what they had learned. I like getting Josh Morgan back and picking up a big TE Coby Fleener and a big fast reciever in the draft.

You think our guys are going to be superfired up for next season? To be that close and just to smell the superbowl? Holy Crap. I feel sorry for the teams we are going to play next year. We may not get to 13-3 but I think the Offense is going to make huge strides.
"3rd 5 - Alex completes to Crabs near sidelines 3 yard gain. Results in FG, fault to Alex and Crabs."

although I am not surprised.....um but why would you blame Crabtree for this? If Alex hit him in stride, and didn't throw it high, Crabtree had room to get a key first down.

but hey, you also blamed the oline, for every situation where Alex left the pocket....even though he might not have wanted to pull the trigger, even though he had time.

some of you can discount and bash Greg Cosell and his remarks about wide open receivers that Alex did not pass it too...but the fact is, he has coaches film and has been watching film for longer than most of you have been born.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 2, 2012 at 2:48 AM ]
Originally posted by TT49ers:
I know its been a really tough loss for everyone, it was hard for me to re-watch the game to write this transcript. I wanted to see why the 49ers were so awful on 3rd Down conversion. I don't know if I missed one or not, but I counted a total of 14 attempts. 2 of the 3rd down attempts were nullified by penalties. I also wanted to see who was at fault for not converting those 3rd downs.

3rd and 4 - Alex Missed passed behind Gore across the middle. (Pass might have beem tip) - Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd and 14 - Pass thrown to sidelines nearly picked. (Kyle Williams fumbles pitch back) lost of 10 yards. Punt,fault to Alex.
3rd and 2 - Complete to Kyle Williams for 1st Down. (Penalty for legal hands to the face on CB) fault to Alex.
3rd and 5 - Alex flush out of pocket tackeled form behind gain of 2. (VD personal foul cost team 15 yards and could of been in FG range) Punt,fault to Alex.
3rd and 9 - Alex force to step up and run for short gain. 4th 7 Punt, fault to Alex.

End of First Half

3rd 19 - False start by Staley adds 5 yards to 3rd and 14. (Illegal contact on CB pushing Kyle Williams after 5 yards) Automatic first down, attempt nullified.
3rd 6 - Alex throws to Walker, knock down by LB nice defensive play. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 7 - Alex completes to Gore out to flat, gain of 5. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 1 - Dixon stop for no gain. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 5 - Alex completes to Crabs near sidelines 3 yard gain. Results in FG, fault to Alex.
3rd 7 - Alex Sacked. Result in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 10 - Alex Incomplete pass between VD and Walker. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 8 - Alex completes to Walker for 1st down with no time left in regulation. fault to Alex.

End of Regulation

3rd 12 Alex completes pass to VD, a yard short of 1st Down. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.

End of Season

Alex Sucks, replace him with Kaep or anybody.

This is what some fans only see.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by TT49ers:

3rd and 14 - Pass thrown to sidelines nearly picked. (Kyle Williams fumbles pitch back) lost of 10 yards. Punt,fault to Alex.
3rd and 2 - Complete to Kyle Williams for 1st Down. (Penalty for legal hands to the face on CB) fault to Alex.
3rd and 5 - Alex flush out of pocket tackeled form behind gain of 2. (VD personal foul cost team 15 yards and could of been in FG range) Punt,fault to Alex.
3rd and 9 - Alex force to step up and run for short gain. 4th 7 Punt, fault to Alex.

End of First Half

3rd 6 - Alex throws to Walker, knock down by LB nice defensive play. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 7 - Alex completes to Gore out to flat, gain of 5. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 1 - Dixon stop for no gain. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 5 - Alex completes to Crabs near sidelines 3 yard gain. Results in FG, fault to Alex.
3rd 7 - Alex Sacked. Result in Punt, fault to Alex.
3rd 8 - Alex completes to Walker for 1st down with no time left in regulation. fault to Alex.

End of Regulation

3rd 12 Alex completes pass to VD, a yard short of 1st Down. Results in Punt, fault to Alex.

End of Season

Alex Sucks, replace him with Kaep or anybody.

This is what some fans only see.

Alex

Josh Johnson 2012
how could you re-watch that game? i will never watch it again... I'm scorned for life.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Wish Alex would've taken at least one accurate shot at a WR...the high pass to Crabtree and the 4 others at his feet don't count.

The pass was high because the DE had his hands up so the trajectory of the ball was high, not much you can do there as a QB. There were a couple balls that if Alex were to take his time could have completed to Crabs for short gains, but a couple of those Alex didnt have his feet set and looked like Crabs wasnt the main option combining in inaccurate throws... Credit the Giants defense for confusing the Oline and making Alex move around and the back end of the Giants defense on suffocating our receivers..
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran

Singletary/Raye style playcall right here
Originally posted by 9er2k:

I wouldn't really say that because the offense was more predictable then... It was a strategic call given the coaching staff and 3rd and short
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I wouldn't really say that because the offense was more predictable then... It was a strategic call given the coaching staff and 3rd and short

More predictable than Dixon dancing like Barlow and slipping instead of running through the hole?
[ Edited by 9er2k on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by 9er2k:

This whole game was Raye/Singletary written all over it.

The coaches didn't give Alex a second or third option in their play calling with the type of plays they called..it was one or done
Share 49ersWebzone