There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What contriubted to the 9ers NFC Championship loss more.....

What contriubted to the 9ers NFC Championship loss more.....

I'm going to have to say the offense as a whole was the biggest reason that we lost. If they had done anything -- anything -- on the last 5-7 drives of the game, Kyle Williams doesn't even have an opportunity to fumble that punt in overtime. The game was a stalemate -- both offenses were being shut down. The game was bound to be decided by a turnover at that point.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Feb 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM ]
I'm surprised people don't think the 2 fumbles were the cause. I'm looking at 70 % right now! That's low. I thought it would be higher, like 95%.
Creative ways of get to talking about the Kyle Williams turnovers. Just like the many ways of blaming Alex Smith.
Part of the problem was that Harbaugh put the game in the hands of Alex late in the 4th qtr when he should have been relying on Frank Gore. Harbaugh probably thought Alex would respond like he did at the end of the Saints game. Instead Alex responded the way he has for most of the last six seasons. 4 consecutive incomplete passes late in the 4th qtr even though he was mainly focused on short yardage targets.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
1. Kyle Williams
2. Coaches for not recognizing KW was just not all there
3. Offense for nor converting on 3rd downs
4. Coaches for putting the ball in Smith's hands instead of using our effective running game.

Very good list, no argument here...
The very worst thing is though; This was our year, the Pats are beatable by our D to the max, who will we lose on our D, how can the Niners D possibly play lights out like that next year?? Turn over ratio alone +38 how the hell do you match that..

I really do hate Williams for what he did, but Seley..how do you put him out there for punt returns in OT, by himself after what he had done previously...Never will I figure that out, and "going for the return coz the O couldn't move the ball is not an excuse I accept..

Sucks....
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Kyle Williams single handedly tanked the season of a great team. Lost in all that 3rd down stuff was that Eli only completed 2 third downs in the 2nd half. It was a defensive battle of 2 excellent defenses....

one of them was 3rd and 15 right after his muffed punt, i still think the best D in football has got to get off the field on that play

Well if they only gave up 2 all half they did pretty good. Other than 2 very short fields gift wrapped with a bow the Giants didn't do much. They had 10 legitimate points all game. 10.....

exactly, pretty good, this D is great, they shoulda got off the field, 3rd and 15, give up 7, 10 or 12 yards and hold them to a fg, its just an example of how kyle williams didnt single handedly cost us anything, it was a chain of events in which he made the first mistake

KW's mistakes definitely played a big part in losing to the Giants. However, the 49ers had a few missed opportunities and bad calls that went against them. Dashon Goldson broke up two definite interceptions by Terrell Brown and Carlos Rogers that could have turned into points. We also had that blown call by the officials on the Bradshaw fumble the MOST CERTAINLY would have led to a field goal. But, that's the way the playoffs go. The next time we're in the NFC Championship Game, we have to DOMINATE completely - just like the '94 49ers did against Dallas. After losing two years in a row to the Cowboys, the 49ers put the hurt on Dallas in the 1995 NFC Championship Game.

Sometimes sh$t happens, and you end up eating the sandwich. We just ended up eating the sandwich this year. I have full faith and confidence in this current version of the 49ers. I have full faith and confidence in Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh to continue to lead this team and capture our 6th championship and more!!

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
One led to the other. If we didn't go 0-12 before converting our last meaningless 3rd down, Kyle Williams likely wouldn't have been put in a position to lose the game.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Very good list, no argument here...
The very worst thing is though; This was our year, the Pats are beatable by our D to the max, who will we lose on our D, how can the Niners D possibly play lights out like that next year?? Turn over ratio alone +38 how the hell do you match that..

I really do hate Williams for what he did, but Seley..how do you put him out there for punt returns in OT, by himself after what he had done previously...Never will I figure that out, and "going for the return coz the O couldn't move the ball is not an excuse I accept..

Sucks....

Unfortunately for us, KW was our only option for returning punts - unless you wanted to put Kendall Hunter out there. I completely agree that we were very capable of beating the Patriots this year. Their defense is atrocious, and our defense could very easily put a hurt on Brady and his offense, just as we did against Brees and the Saints. Shouda. Woulda. Coulda.

I'll take this season over the last nine, though. It feels great to win again.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Williams' fumbles. One was an unconscionable decision and game changing, the other a poor football play and game (and season) ending.

We won games all year with great D and ST, conservative O, and mistake/turnover free football. With 11 minutes left in the game, this formula was working and I felt pretty strongly that we were going to the SB.

I watched the extended game highlights for the first time today. At the moment that punt's in the air, we have everything in our favor: we'd just scored a couple possessions ago, the D was playing lights out, the team had all the momentum, the crowd is going nuts, and we're getting the ball near the 30 and about to run at least 2 minutes off the clock at worst. Then Williams makes the stupidest and most egregious PR error in NFL history and completely changes the complexion of the game. Sure, the D let a 3rd and 15 go for a TD but it came against 4th string DB who seems to play too far off the WR based on what the other guys are doing. Save that one throw, the D completely dominated Eli.

I've been going over and over almost every play/decision (i.e., Goldson's broken-up INTs, Williams and Walker TD passes, running late in the 4th, a couple completions here and there, etc) thinking in "if only this happened, then we would have won" terms....but I keep coming back to the fumbles, specifically the muff. Before and after that play, Eli did nothing to suggest that he was going to score again on our D: the Giants got to our 48 yard line ONCE in the entire 2nd half/OT on their own; Williams TWICE gifted them at the very least FG field position, and his mistakes led directly to 10 points.

The worst part of the loss is how it happened; rather than being beaten, we gave them the game. Williams took Harbaugh's extremely effective formula and took a massive, steaming s**t upon it, the team, the fans and our chances to go to the SB. Before the muff, Alex Smith had done enough to win the game, and was outplaying Eli in terms of results. Without Williams f**king up, we win that game 14-10; nothing the Giants did before or after his 2 fumbles suggests they would have been able to beat us in the 4th quarter if not for the stupid muff.

On a related note, did anything about KW appear 'off' in his post game interviews? He certainly crumbled under pressure, but I'm really willing to believe that he also had his bell rung to some degree in the game, only exacerbating his poor decision making.
In the Harbaugh clinic video, he talked about the important of not turning the ball over. The team that has less turnovers win 80% of the time. If they have more than 2 turnovers it's 50/50 win or loss. Whatever winning percentage we had against the Giants, it plummet to 50/50 after Williams had his 2 turnovers. You can bet Harbaugh had been preaching to Alex Smith and the offense not to turn the ball over all year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM ]
Originally posted by merm49:
Williams' fumbles. One was an unconscionable decision and game changing, the other a poor football play and game (and season) ending.

We won games all year with great D and ST, conservative O, and mistake/turnover free football. With 11 minutes left in the game, this formula was working and I felt pretty strongly that we were going to the SB.

I watched the extended game highlights for the first time today. At the moment that punt's in the air, we have everything in our favor: we'd just scored a couple possessions ago, the D was playing lights out, the team had all the momentum, the crowd is going nuts, and we're getting the ball near the 30 and about to run at least 2 minutes off the clock at worst. Then Williams makes the stupidest and most egregious PR error in NFL history and completely changes the complexion of the game. Sure, the D let a 3rd and 15 go for a TD but it came against 4th string DB who seems to play too far off the WR based on what the other guys are doing. Save that one throw, the D completely dominated Eli.

I've been going over and over almost every play/decision (i.e., Goldson's broken-up INTs, Williams and Walker TD passes, running late in the 4th, a couple completions here and there, etc) thinking in "if only this happened, then we would have won" terms....but I keep coming back to the fumbles, specifically the muff. Before and after that play, Eli did nothing to suggest that he was going to score again on our D: the Giants got to our 48 yard line ONCE in the entire 2nd half/OT on their own; Williams TWICE gifted them at the very least FG field position, and his mistakes led directly to 10 points.

The worst part of the loss is how it happened; rather than being beaten, we gave them the game. Williams took Harbaugh's extremely effective formula and took a massive, steaming s**t upon it, the team, the fans and our chances to go to the SB. Before the muff, Alex Smith had done enough to win the game, and was outplaying Eli in terms of results. Without Williams f**king up, we win that game 14-10; nothing the Giants did before or after his 2 fumbles suggests they would have been able to beat us in the 4th quarter if not for the stupid muff.

On a related note, did anything about KW appear 'off' in his post game interviews? He certainly crumbled under pressure, but I'm really willing to believe that he also had his bell rung to some degree in the game, only exacerbating his poor decision making.

The Giants defenders did say they were gunning for KW because they knew he was prone to concussions. Maybe he had his bell rung a little, and the decision making process just didn't work well for him. I don't want to make excuses for him because, at game speed, everything moves so fast that you have to make smart, quick decisions. That just didn't happen for him and we ended up losing.

Let's hope the 49ers use this defeat to fuel their hunger for a trip to the Super Bowl in 2013. If Baalke is able to re-sign a majority of our free agents and pick up key players through Free Agency and the Draft, then this team will be better in 2012.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
To Williams credit he did have a nice return to give us field position for the tying field goal.
Originally posted by NinerNation:
Originally posted by shinndiesel:
duhh.... really asking this question? 1-13 on 3rd downs didnt give them 10 points

yea but it also 1-13 on 3rd downs didnt give 49ers any pts did it

a first down doesnt guarantee points.. id rather not get a first down on our own 10, 20, 30, 40 50, then punt, rather than a fumble in OT on our own 30.. and also a fumble that led them to TIE the game with a TD.. no thanks.. 10 points given to the other team. game shouldve ended 17-10 SF in the superbowl
[ Edited by SundayTicket on Feb 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM ]
before the game started, most analysts felt that the turn over battle would determine the outcome of the game

(though that statement is a cliche/copout when talking about evenly matched teams..... cliche yet true)
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
I'm surprised people don't think the 2 fumbles were the cause. I'm looking at 70 % right now! That's low. I thought it would be higher, like 95%.

I'm guessing they didn't watch the game or don't understand football. Or both....