There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If the 49ers can't reach a deal and franchise Goldson, what is his trade value?

Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Once franchised, he can't be traded. You franchise a player because you want to keep him for a year to try and work out a long-term deal.

Again it is semantics, I am sure the OP meant compensation. Once Franchised if another team makes Goldson an offer, the niners can match or lose him and gain draft picks. Call it what you want compensation, trade value, the Packers will do the same thing with Matt Flynn.

Where is this coming from? Unless there is something in the new CBA that I am missing, plenty of teams have franchised players and then traded them for the player's valued compensation ie, Jared Allen & Matt Cassell. It is not the same thing as another team making our franchise player a contract offer as that would mean they owe us a 1st and a third (usually) whereas Cassell was traded for a 2nd while Allen was traded for a 1st, two thirds, and a 6th.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Wewillwin:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

No team is stupid enough to trade for a huge 1 year franchise contract while also likely giving up multiple draft picks.

I do not know where all of the 49ers fans with any sort of contract knowledge are in this thread. Both Dashon and Carlos have a great trade value right now, they are both in the top 5 in their position right now, if not better. If we knew we could not sign them both to long-term contracts due to money issues, we could definitely sign one, and franchise and trade the other. Plenty of teams do this thing every single year with great players (although i did read in a forum that in the new cba, you can't franchise a player and trade him but I could not find any evidence of that elsewhere)

Goldson's value is probably around 7-8mil/year right now while Rogers is at 9-10/mil year (at least for both of them). These types of players don't go on the market very often, and we could definitely, imo at least, get a 2nd rounder for either, and more likely a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.

If you were the Saints, would you trade a 2nd round pick for one month of negotiating rights? These guys are free agents and can walk in March anyways....the risk is so high it reduces the return the 9ers could get.

I said FRANCHISE and then trade him. That means they have a year of negotiating rights, although these players usually have a negotiated deal before the trade is completed.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nothing he's a free agent

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I think he means if we slap the franchise tag on him
Again, nothing, 0. If he's franchised his trade value won't be assessed until the 2013 season as. I don't know of a team franchising a player them trading that player in the same season.

No team is stupid enough to trade for a huge 1 year franchise contract while also likely giving up multiple draft picks.

I do not know where all of the 49ers fans with any sort of contract knowledge are in this thread. Both Dashon and Carlos have a great trade value right now, they are both in the top 5 in their position right now, if not better. If we knew we could not sign them both to long-term contracts due to money issues, we could definitely sign one, and franchise and trade the other. Plenty of teams do this thing every single year with great players (although i did read in a forum that in the new cba, you can't franchise a player and trade him but I could not find any evidence of that elsewhere)

Goldson's value is probably around 7-8mil/year right now while Rogers is at 9-10/mil year (at least for both of them). These types of players don't go on the market very often, and we could definitely, imo at least, get a 2nd rounder for either, and more likely a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th.

If you were the Saints, would you trade a 2nd round pick for one month of negotiating rights? These guys are free agents and can walk in March anyways....the risk is so high it reduces the return the 9ers could get.

I said FRANCHISE and then trade him. That means they have a year of negotiating rights, although these players usually have a negotiated deal before the trade is completed.

I don't know why you guys want to trade him. We can franchise him and just make him play for us. We don't have to get rid of him.
Once franchised, he can't be traded. You franchise a player because you want to keep him for a year to try and work out a long-term deal.

No.
Originally posted by dhp318:

No.

this

you franchise so he doesnt hit FA

you can franchise and trade
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by dhp318:

No.

this

you franchise so he doesnt hit FA

you can franchise and trade

why would we want to though, he is a good player and important to our team? franchise him and make him play through the tender.
sign him to a 5-6 year deal, rogers to 3-4. Rogers said he really likes it here and wants to come back, and keeping the team together. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed them both to less than what they might get elsewhere. Plus we're a contender,another incentive to go for less than market-value.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
why would we want to though, he is a good player and important to our team? franchise him and make him play through the tender.

I agree, we should spend the money and bring both Goldson and Rogers back imo. Ahmad Brooks is the player who is going to be the hardest to bring back i think, but we should do all we can to keep our D intact. These players are fairly young and all just had the best seasons of their careers. RESIGN them all.