There are 171 users in the forums

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Crabtree: more overrated than lazy, or more lazy than overrated?

Originally posted by schmons:
he's a bust

and so was vernon davis, why fans are so quick to annoint players busts and quick to annoint them beasts is beyond me.
I think with him its a lot of things and both of the above. I think he's a Diva. I think he's overrated. I think he's unmotivated and I think he doesnt want to be and never really wanted to be a 49er. I do think he could be product but the better question is will and when. He's shown that he is more of a possession guy than deep threat because speed and separation aren't really his thing. Alex doesn't trust him a lick but why should he? What Crabtree can do is get his butt to OTA's, training camp and every other opportunity to get better. He's playing himself into a small 2nd contract. I'm not exactly sure what he has left on his contact. 2 years? Expect him to improve next year as teams double Davis and he will have a better WR playing opposite of him. Plus another year in the system. Then if it is 2 years, he will have a breakout year the 2nd year and be off to Dallas or somewhere where he will take his half-azzed effort. He isnt what we thought he would be other than what Mike Leach said he wasnt. He's an overrated prima dona with marginal skills.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he doesn't have the elite sizs or speed to be a #1 wr plain and simple

he doesnt have an elite qb, plain and simple
Originally posted by fly15:

@fly15
The two are separate. You don't need an elite Qb to make yourself available to your QB by running better routs with motivation, just getting open on third downs, beating the jam, reading when you are the hot receiver (a little but vital .detail he was horrible at all season), and, oh yeah, catchng the ball. All of this shows he was not in the playbook like he should have been, and that shows laziness on his part and why Alex targeted Vernon so much when it was important. Thats not a bad reflection on Alex, but on his receiving corps. This isn't on Alex Smith, this is on Crabs.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by fly15:

@fly15
The two are separate. You don't need an elite Qb to make yourself available to your QB by running better routs with motivation, just getting open on third downs, beating the jam, reading when you are the hot receiver (a little but vital .detail he was horrible at all season), and, oh yeah, catchng the ball. All of this shows he was not in the playbook like he should have been, and that shows laziness on his part and why Alex targeted Vernon so much when it was important. Thats not a bad reflection on Alex, but on his receiving corps. This isn't on Alex Smith, this is on Crabs.

IT is pointless to discuss anything with fly15. I think 95% of posters just ignore everything he says.
He is not worth of the 1st round at #10 pick!
Wow. So a defense makes him disappear because we only have VD and Crabs to throw too and suddenly he is lazy and overrated. The dude can play OBVIOUSLY but he needs to work with Smith, stay after practice and play some pre-season snaps next year. We don't see Smith miss Vernon or Morgan too much but he struggles hitting Crabtree. Take a look back at the Steeler game (#1 pass defense) and you will see the dude gets open. He is more part of the solution than the problem around here.
  • dj43
Too soon to tell. We all know how limited he has been in practice time. Until he has a full camp with the time to settle in on the patterns and develop a chemistry with Alex, which I believe he can do, it is premature to say what he can and cannot do.

Also, as we all know, it would help if the 49ers have another WR that demands attention so opponents will not be able to cover him with the #1 corner and a safety over the top. I fully expect that to be solved this off-season via FA or the draft.
Crabtree was the only 9er who talked about himself after the Giants loss. Everybody else was sticking together as a team, but he was complaining about not getting the football.
Hold out, bad attitude, disappears for games at a time...I for one would be happy to see us part ways...for equal value only, but I would like to see 3 new WRs or two new ones and a new standout TE like FLeener. Somehow, craps just doesn't seem like a harbaugh guy, team first, not me, me , me. Just how he gets along in the locker room i don't know, but i just have a feeling that Coach is going to find way to get us a #1 and #2 with craps in the deal going elsewhere. Also paying #1 money to a guy barely a #3 is bad karma and bad locker room karma also..

like i said previusly he isnt a #1 he doesnt have the elite size or elite speed to beat a playoff secondary by himself which what happened in the playoffs

but he is capable of torching lesser secondaries by himself hwich shows he has some talent

by that assesment just get another WR to take some pressure of him as he is not a true #1 WR
Originally posted by susweel:
Is a good player just not worth the #10 pick.

This. It's clear he's not as good as we hoped he'd be. He's got good hands, but not #1 receiver-type hands. He doesn't make every catch, and dropped some that he should've caught against the Saints. At the same time though, he's still a good WR. He's made some amazing catches in the last two seasons and I think he can break 1000 yards next season.

I hate giving receivers this label, but I really think he's a #2 WR. He just can't seem to get much separation from opposing cornerbacks and was absolutely handled against the Giants. I think if we brought in a Marques Colston or Vincent Jackson... he'd really thrive at the opposite WR spot, and would benefit from having defenses fixating on Vernon Davis and Colston/Jackson.
I wonder about Crabtree. He was saying in the last couple of games that his foot was fully healed so he cant use that as an excuse. I still think he's a young player that's getting better and he and smith need to get on the same page. Their chemistry is as good as it's been, but there are so many nuances to the West Coast offense that I think the guy has to spend more time studying the offense.

Even Vernon Davis said that he was totally lost in the offense until the last five games of the season and that's when he started to explode. Crabtree and Smith need a full offseason together with the same offense and lets see what he can do.

However, it's a no brainer that the Niners pick up at least two starters in WR, a high draft pick for WR and a Marques Colston type of receiver through FA.
I think he is just overrated. He has no speed or ability to separate. And his hyped up vaunted hands aren't really that good. He drops a lot of passes. Plus big time players step up in big games like VD in the playoffs. Crab disappeared. He was invisible. Dropping every pass thrown his way against N.O. and not gettting open or doing anything vs. the Giants. To top it off he has quite a mouth. Always talking and throwing people under the bus. Instead of working hard and getting open and catching passes thrown his way. And yes he is lazy too. When has he ever practiced in the preseason? And he's not that big either. We need a big, physical WR. Just over drafted really.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Both
Agree
Share 49ersWebzone