There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick Highlights 2011

Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
His release is not the problem, it's his throwing motion. When considering overall time, his throwing motion/release time is about the same or even a little quicker than a lot of other QBs, but he spends a much larger percentage of time on his throwing motion.

It's easy to make someone look good with a 4 minute "highlight" reel when many of those highlights conveniently exclude him about to be sacked. I wish someone would make an Alex Smith highlight reel for this year - he'd look like a god in comparison to these.

Thank you captain obvious...
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
His release is not the problem, it's his throwing motion. When considering overall time, his throwing motion/release time is about the same or even a little quicker than a lot of other QBs, but he spends a much larger percentage of time on his throwing motion.

It's easy to make someone look good with a 4 minute "highlight" reel when many of those highlights conveniently exclude him about to be sacked. I wish someone would make an Alex Smith highlight reel for this year - he'd look like a god in comparison to these.

Thank you captain obvious...

Apparently not so obvious to folks like you, but it's okay, I'm here to help.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
The most impressive thing about that video is that it took Kap about 3 plays to throw his first back shoulder pass in the NFL. Alex on the other hand .. took 7 years. Maybe it's a Harbaugh thing, but I hope Kap doesn't take as long as Alex did to get a basic feel for the game and hopefully even excels at it one day.
I still don't think Alex has a feel for the game. :(
I think the beating Alex took the first few years really scarred him mentally. Kaepernick has the ability to develop slowly while alex got thrown to the wolves from day 1. I think we're going to have a hell of a training camp from kaep and preseason will be exciting to watch.

I don't see anything wrong with his release. It looks funky but he gets the ball out just fine and with POWER behind it, reminds me of Rivers' release. The bigger issue was staring down receivers.

A "P. Rivers" type QB on this! team . The only thing I question is, is kap clutch. I always wondered if smith was clutch but afta this year I'm show for the[left] most part. I actually believed that we would beat the Pats. I can't say the same bout kap cause he wasn't on da field in the playoffs.
Meh, alex looks clutch because all of the three and outs put him and our defense in situations they shouldn't be in. The throw to vernon was clutch. But what if he didn't have to have his back against the wall? What if our offense didn't stall in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when we had a turnover-driven 17-0 lead and we could have prevented the brees comeback by managing the ball and keeping drives alive? Honestly the saints shouldn't have even been in that game.

All we got out of 8 consecutive drives was one field goal and we fumbled it once right before the half. OK we still managed to win thanks to "clutch alex" putting together a field goal opportunity and two touch downs in the last 3 drives, but then the Giants show us what happens when our defense doesn't get the three turnovers in the beginning of the game.

Whether or not Kaepernick is clutch is kinda putting the cart before the horse. First he has to keep drives alive better than alex. First he has to win games in the regular season, if he even gets a shot to start. But I do think he's going to be better than alex and I think there are exciting comparisons to rivers(who also got to mostly sit his first few years because SD had brees).

1, wheather you see the cup as half full or have empty, the point is! he got it done when it mattered most.

2. As for the (ny football)giants game, we're not out of the playoffs cause of smiths' inconsistencies, we're out cause of a backup ST's player. Again however you see da cup is on u.

3. As for kap, of course! he has to keep drives alive & win games. How do you make it to the playoff witout doin all that. Your half empty football iq isn't telling me nothing I don't already no. Also you're a physic now, how do you how kap will do. I think you're ova estimating your half empty football iq. So your saying harbs doesn't know what to look for in a QB & he decided to just waste a 2nd rd draft pick, yeah ok bru. I'll let kap's career run its course b4! I go judging.

Lastly if your one of our fans who thought we were going to have 5 or 6 wins total this year, then pleeease keep your half empty iq to urself or atleast away from me.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by alex2125:
Kap has a rocket arm, he is a hard worker, and a good person. BUT...

Anyone who doesn't think that non-fluid cock-back delivery is a problem is in denial. That motion is not going anywhere. Remember Tebow "shortening" his throwing motion? How'd that work out?

While the release itself is fast (once going forward), and the ball can get there fast, that cocking of the arm gives db's and lb's .25-.50 seconds extra time to react. In the NFL, where everyone is an athlete, that is a problem. So unless he totally changes and corrects that, its always going to be an issue. So Kap and the coaches will always have to compensate with razor sharp accuracy and near perfect reads and timing. BUT I think this is where Kap's athleticism is a negative. I think initially, Kap will get to his second read in the pocket before letting it break down and scramble and run. He won't stay in the pocket, because he never had to in that Pistol Offense playing Defenses in the WAC in college. At least Tebow played against SEC defenses.

I think Kap's athleticism is overrated as well. He is fast. But he is so tall and lanky that he appears stiff when scrambling. Once he decides to run, he goes, but I wouldn't call him Quick. He's not like Roethlisberger in that he can shrug guys off with his size. Unless he puts on major muscle, he is a huge injury target. Right Now, Alex is a better Athletic QB than Kap.

In the draft, Kap was the only QB I did not want on the 49ers (I wanted Dalton bad). Given his mechanics and background, Kap needs TOO much work to be a viable starter on a team that can win RIGHT NOW. Alex is the QB in the immediate future because.....well that's a whole other thread.
Just wondering, do you have a stopwatch and you're measuring his release compared to the release of other quarterbacks? .25-.50 Sounds like a load of crap to me. He gets the ball out just fine, a little fine tuning to make it more fluid but nothing major.(I think roman even said they fine tuned it a bit already)

He wouldn't have had the success he had in college nor would he be drafted as high as he was if he had something major wrong with his throwing motion.

You're right. I don't have a stopwatch, and I'm not a QB coach. What I was trying to say is that db's will have a "Split Second" longer to react to his motion. Wether that is .10 seconds, or .20 seconds, or .90 seconds. DB's will be coached to close on that motion. That cocking motion is a problem. I don't remember a successful NFL QB in recent memory having that motion problem and being a lasting success. The first two to come to mind is Leftwich and Tebow. And I don't think Tebow will be a sustainable NFL QB. Other QB's like Kosar, Rivers, Etc., who did have success; were considered to have awkward motions due to other factors such as release point. But never the speed and fluidity with which they get the ball out.

And I don't think college success or draft position is a valid way to project a QB prospect. History shows that college success and high draft status does not equal success. If that were true, Alex Smith, (top 3 or 4 in Heisman, BCS win with Utah, #1 overall), would have a super bowl title by now instead of us even having this discussion.

We can do this all day. I'm just a fan giving my opinion. Nothing posted on here will change my opinion based on what I've seen. I'm taking the position that Kap is not the answer. He wasn't the answer when we drafted him. And I think Harbaugh AND Trent can make mistakes = Ronald Johnson > Doug Baldwin.

Only Kap can prove me wrong next year or down line.
  • mike
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,827
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
The most impressive thing about that video is that it took Kap about 3 plays to throw his first back shoulder pass in the NFL. Alex on the other hand .. took 7 years. Maybe it's a Harbaugh thing, but I hope Kap doesn't take as long as Alex did to get a basic feel for the game and hopefully even excels at it one day.
I still don't think Alex has a feel for the game. :(
I think the beating Alex took the first few years really scarred him mentally. Kaepernick has the ability to develop slowly while alex got thrown to the wolves from day 1. I think we're going to have a hell of a training camp from kaep and preseason will be exciting to watch.

I don't see anything wrong with his release. It looks funky but he gets the ball out just fine and with POWER behind it, reminds me of Rivers' release. The bigger issue was staring down receivers.

A "P. Rivers" type QB on this! team . The only thing I question is, is kap clutch. I always wondered if smith was clutch but afta this year I'm show for the[left] most part. I actually believed that we would beat the Pats. I can't say the same bout kap cause he wasn't on da field in the playoffs.
Meh, alex looks clutch because all of the three and outs put him and our defense in situations they shouldn't be in. The throw to vernon was clutch. But what if he didn't have to have his back against the wall? What if our offense didn't stall in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when we had a turnover-driven 17-0 lead and we could have prevented the brees comeback by managing the ball and keeping drives alive? Honestly the saints shouldn't have even been in that game.

All we got out of 8 consecutive drives was one field goal and we fumbled it once right before the half. OK we still managed to win thanks to "clutch alex" putting together a field goal opportunity and two touch downs in the last 3 drives, but then the Giants show us what happens when our defense doesn't get the three turnovers in the beginning of the game.

Whether or not Kaepernick is clutch is kinda putting the cart before the horse. First he has to keep drives alive better than alex. First he has to win games in the regular season, if he even gets a shot to start. But I do think he's going to be better than alex and I think there are exciting comparisons to rivers(who also got to mostly sit his first few years because SD had brees).

1, wheather you see the cup as half full or have empty, the point is! he got it done when it mattered most.

2. As for the (ny football)giants game, we're not out of the playoffs cause of smiths' inconsistencies, we're out cause of a backup ST's player. Again however you see da cup is on u.

3. As for kap, of course! he has to keep drives alive & win games. How do you make it to the playoff witout doin all that. Your half empty football iq isn't telling me nothing I don't already no. Also you're a physic now, how do you how kap will do. I think you're ova estimating your half empty football iq. So your saying harbs doesn't know what to look for in a QB & he decided to just waste a 2nd rd draft pick, yeah ok bru. I'll let kap's career run its course b4! I go judging.

Lastly if your one of our fans who thought we were going to have 5 or 6 wins total this year, then pleeease keep your half empty iq to urself or atleast away from me.
1. So it's ok if our offense puts us in the bad situation, as long as we get the last second touchdown?, OK. I'll say it again, That worked against the giants right? Eventually you have to look back at both of those games and say "wow look at the chances we missed to put that game away".

2. That's incredible. So 1 for 13 on third downs is not "being out of the game because of alex's inconsistencies"?? We should have never had to go to overtime. We should have been able to get the field position to get at least a f**king field goal in overtime instead of punting it away. I'm not "cup half empty", I just look at what we DID NOT do as much as what we DID do. People like you see Kyle fumble and say "oh that play lost us the game", but you never look to the 7 drives before that that amounted in only one field goal? You are only looking at a tiny piece of the big picture.

3. I can barely read what you're trying to say here wow. If you actually read what I said, I think Kaepernick has a great career ahead of him. I'm OPTIMISTIC about his future(enough of the half cup full b******t).I think "harbs" wasted a pick? Did you even read my posts "Bru"?

I simply said that you can't judge whether or not he's "clutch" in the playoffs before hes even started a regular season game. But the main point I was making is that Alex might make one good desperation throw, but I think Kaepernick will be that exciting player that keeps drives alive and has fewer 3 and outs than alex. A guy that has a chance to change a game on every drive.
That was weak
I don't know if its been posted, but Baalke breaks down Keap in this video.

If Baalke is excited to have this guy, then so am I. Hes done some good drafting, so far.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by susweel:
What about all the Ints.


Dude does got big time talent though, cant wait JH coaches him up.

I'd actually like to see the interceptions personally, to get an even fuller view of what he needed in his development, and then this next pre-season, compare where he WAS to where he IS at that point in time and see if he's further along in his development or not.

Yeah he looked pretty bad on that highlight real.

Hope he works on his drop backs in the off season.
Originally posted by mike:
1. So it's ok if our offense puts us in the bad situation, as long as we get the last second touchdown?, OK. I'll say it again, That worked against the giants right? Eventually you have to look back at both of those games and say "wow look at the chances we missed to put that game away".

2. That's incredible. So 1 for 13 on third downs is not "being out of the game because of alex's inconsistencies"?? We should have never had to go to overtime. We should have been able to get the field position to get at least a f**king field goal in overtime instead of punting it away. I'm not "cup half empty", I just look at what we DID NOT do as much as what we DID do. People like you see Kyle fumble and say "oh that play lost us the game", but you never look to the 7 drives before that that amounted in only one field goal? You are only looking at a tiny piece of the big picture.

3. I can barely read what you're trying to say here wow. If you actually read what I said, I think Kaepernick has a great career ahead of him. I'm OPTIMISTIC about his future(enough of the half cup full b******t).I think "harbs" wasted a pick? Did you even read my posts "Bru"?

I simply said that you can't judge whether or not he's "clutch" in the playoffs before hes even started a regular season game. But the main point I was making is that Alex might make one good desperation throw, but I think Kaepernick will be that exciting player that keeps drives alive and has fewer 3 and outs than alex. A guy that has a chance to change a game on every drive.

You honestly think Kapernit will be an "exciting player that keeps drives alive"? Sorry but I would prefer a boring player that posts a 90 Rating in his first year, in his 7th system, leading the 49ers to 6 comeback wins. Hop off of kapernicks balls already, had kyle williams not fumbled and we went to the superbowl, I'm sure your ass would be whistling a different tune. Bottom line, keep Alex, leave kapernick to pick up the towels and empty water cups for 2 more years.
1. I never said it's ok to be inconsistent but smith still found a way to get it done on the big stage for the 1ST time, to me that's clutch(for this year anyway). Also yes it did! work it's worked all season up until KW fumbled twice in the championship & 1 of them was in overtime. Also KW's turnovers weren't the ONLY reason we lost but it was a BIG or MAJOR reason why we lost. Those turnovers gave good field position including 10pts & the game winner. when it comes to leaving plays on the field, it happens, all teams do it.

2. I don't know if you notice but ALL season our 3rd down pct has sucked, it's a stat so what, he also has a $4!tty 300yd game stat but in the end smith still found away to get it done. Why does smith get all da blame, he probably didn't call most of those b.s. @$$ playcalling & for the most part has a bum @$$ WR core. You don't think that plays a role in the inconsistency.

3. Mabad on the kap part. Misread that one.
Those short passes won't fly when it comes to the season and when teams' defenses want to win! I'm satisfy with Alex Smith!
One thing about CK that I really like is how accurate he is on the short, West Coast passes. Always perfect placement, not too high, not too low, and in stride. Unlike Alex who is prone to have multiple high throws and low throws in a game on the shorter passes.
Funny how everyone who argued that Alex would improve with the coaching of Harbaugh is now saying Kaepernick would be able to improve and take advantage of his athleticism and accuracy on the run.

Harbaugh and Roman utlized Smith's athleticism with those occasional option runs throughout the season and the playoffs and soooometimes rollout. Imagine the different plays they could devise to take advantage of Kaep. Now that we have a coaching staff, players will be put in the right position to succeed.
I was getting on here to make fun of the post. But I can't lie that's a good video and look forward to CK7 starting in 2013
Anyone else notice from the video that KW is a pretty damn good receiver