There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colin Kaepernick Highlights 2011

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't want to sound negative because Kaep was my favorite QB in that draft (actually, second favorite behind Locker, but my favorite for the 9ers) and I was super excited about the 9ers drafting him.

But come on, most of those 'highlights' are either 6 yard passes or 4 yard runs. Several are barely for positive yardage, and only a few are even for first downs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how plays in the preseason this year. But let's wait until he actually makes some highlight plays before we get all crazy...

Did you see how the receivers were able to run after the catch? Is a deep pass the only highlight play? It looks to me like Kap is a human highlight reel.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't want to sound negative because Kaep was my favorite QB in that draft (actually, second favorite behind Locker, but my favorite for the 9ers) and I was super excited about the 9ers drafting him.

But come on, most of those 'highlights' are either 6 yard passes or 4 yard runs. Several are barely for positive yardage, and only a few are even for first downs.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how plays in the preseason this year. But let's wait until he actually makes some highlight plays before we get all crazy...

Did you see how the receivers were able to run after the catch? Is a deep pass the only highlight play? It looks to me like Kap is a human highlight reel.

seriously?????????????
Holding a clip board is his best miller highlight
Originally posted by AirJordanXI:
Holding a clip board is his best miller highlight

you know who else are human highlight reels? Nate Davis, Shaun Hill, and David Carr.
Interesting watch from a guy who played very little....If there's one thing he clearly has besides the arm strength is pocket awareness. His rookie-ness/not knowing the playbook very well seems to have led to the mentality of "time to take off and run" but who knows, maybe one day those side steps will lead to big plays downfield
Originally posted by 1swift:
Interesting watch from a guy who played very little....If there's one thing he clearly has besides the arm strength is pocket awareness. His rookie-ness/not knowing the playbook very well seems to have led to the mentality of "time to take off and run" but who knows, maybe one day those side steps will lead to big plays downfield

in the preseason he had horrible pocket presence
He meminds me more of tim tebow than cam newton.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
The most impressive thing about that video is that it took Kap about 3 plays to throw his first back shoulder pass in the NFL. Alex on the other hand .. took 7 years. Maybe it's a Harbaugh thing, but I hope Kap doesn't take as long as Alex did to get a basic feel for the game and hopefully even excels at it one day.
I still don't think Alex has a feel for the game. :(
I think the beating Alex took the first few years really scarred him mentally. Kaepernick has the ability to develop slowly while alex got thrown to the wolves from day 1. I think we're going to have a hell of a training camp from kaep and preseason will be exciting to watch.

I don't see anything wrong with his release. It looks funky but he gets the ball out just fine and with POWER behind it, reminds me of Rivers' release. The bigger issue was staring down receivers.

A "P. Rivers" type QB on this! team . The only thing I question is, is kap clutch. I always wondered if smith was clutch but afta this year I'm show for the most part. I actually believed that we would beat the Pats. I can't say the same bout kap cause he wasn't on da field in the playoffs.
Meh, alex looks clutch because all of the three and outs put him and our defense in situations they shouldn't be in. The throw to vernon was clutch. But what if he didn't have to have his back against the wall? What if our offense didn't stall in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when we had a turnover-driven 17-0 lead and we could have prevented the brees comeback by managing the ball and keeping drives alive? Honestly the saints shouldn't have even been in that game.

All we got out of 8 consecutive drives was one field goal and we fumbled it once right before the half. OK we still managed to win thanks to "clutch alex" putting together a field goal opportunity and two touch downs in the last 3 drives, but then the Giants show us what happens when our defense doesn't get the three turnovers in the beginning of the game.

Whether or not Kaepernick is clutch is kinda putting the cart before the horse. First he has to keep drives alive better than alex. First he has to win games in the regular season, if he even gets a shot to start. But I do think he's going to be better than alex and I think there are exciting comparisons to rivers(who also got to mostly sit his first few years because SD had brees).
Kap has a rocket arm, he is a hard worker, and a good person. BUT...

Anyone who doesn't think that non-fluid cock-back delivery is a problem is in denial. That motion is not going anywhere. Remember Tebow "shortening" his throwing motion? How'd that work out?

While the release itself is fast (once going forward), and the ball can get there fast, that cocking of the arm gives db's and lb's .25-.50 seconds extra time to react. In the NFL, where everyone is an athlete, that is a problem. So unless he totally changes and corrects that, its always going to be an issue. So Kap and the coaches will always have to compensate with razor sharp accuracy and near perfect reads and timing. BUT I think this is where Kap's athleticism is a negative. I think initially, Kap will get to his second read in the pocket before letting it break down and scramble and run. He won't stay in the pocket, because he never had to in that Pistol Offense playing Defenses in the WAC in college. At least Tebow played against SEC defenses.

I think Kap's athleticism is overrated as well. He is fast. But he is so tall and lanky that he appears stiff when scrambling. Once he decides to run, he goes, but I wouldn't call him Quick. He's not like Roethlisberger in that he can shrug guys off with his size. Unless he puts on major muscle, he is a huge injury target. Right Now, Alex is a better Athletic QB than Kap.

In the draft, Kap was the only QB I did not want on the 49ers (I wanted Dalton bad). Given his mechanics and background, Kap needs TOO much work to be a viable starter on a team that can win RIGHT NOW. Alex is the QB in the immediate future because.....well that's a whole other thread.
[ Edited by alex2125 on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by alex2125:

Anyone who doesn't think that non-fluid cock-back delivery is a problem is in denial. That motion is not going anywhere. Remember Tebow "shortening" his throwing motion? How'd that work out?

While the release itself is fast (once going forward), and the ball can get there fast, that cocking of the arm gives db's and lb's .25-.50 seconds extra time to react. In the NFL, where everyone is an athlete, that is a problem. So unless he totally changes and corrects that, its always going to be an issue. So Kap and the coaches will always have to compensate with razor sharp accuracy and near perfect reads and timing. BUT I think this is where Kap's athleticism is a negative. I think initially, Kap will get to his second read in the pocket before letting it break down and scramble and run. He won't stay in the pocket, because he never had to in that Pistol Offense playing Defenses in the WAC in college. At least Tebow played against SEC defenses.

I think Kap's athleticism is overrated as well. He is fast. But he is so tall and lanky that he appears stiff when scrambling. Once he decides to run, he goes, but I wouldn't call him Quick. He's not like Roethlisberger in that he can shrug guys off with his size. Unless he puts on major muscle, he is a huge injury target. Right Now, Alex is a better Athletic QB than Kap.

In the draft, Kap was the only QB I did not want on the 49ers (I wanted Dalton bad). Given his mechanics and background, Kap needs TOO much work to be a viable starter on a team that can win RIGHT NOW. Alex is the QB in the immediate future because.....well that's a whole other thread.

so is Harbaugh in denial ?
I want him to come in two years from now and just be a bad A$$. Kinda like Araan Rodgers did.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by alex2125:

Just wondering, do you have a stopwatch and you're measuring his release compared to the release of other quarterbacks? .25-.50 Sounds like a load of crap to me. He gets the ball out just fine, a little fine tuning to make it more fluid but nothing major.(I think roman even said they fine tuned it a bit already)

He wouldn't have had the success he had in college nor would he be drafted as high as he was if he had something major wrong with his throwing motion.
[ Edited by mike on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
so is Harbaugh in denial ?
Baalke and roman apparently are too.
Can't wait to see how Colin will look this upcoming year. One thing that's pretty consistent in his pass completions is that he gets the ball either where only the receiver can make the play or where the receiver can keep running with it. Unfortunately Alex doesn't do that on a consistent basis with a lot of his passes being too high.

Oh and for all the people wanting to get rid of Kyle Williams, he has some pretty impressive catches in that video.
His release is not the problem, it's his throwing motion. When considering overall time, his throwing motion/release time is about the same or even a little quicker than a lot of other QBs, but he spends a much larger percentage of time on his throwing motion.

It's easy to make someone look good with a 4 minute "highlight" reel when many of those highlights conveniently exclude him about to be sacked. I wish someone would make an Alex Smith highlight reel for this year - he'd look like a god in comparison to these.