LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

What if Vernon davis moved to WR?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didnt someone want to move him to OT a couple of years ago?

Posters
Originally posted by English:
Didnt someone want to move him to OT a couple of years ago?

Posters

That was me, foo! After a few games of multiple drops and using him primarily as a blocker with Martz, I wanted him officially at OT since our Tackle play sucked then. I think that was when he shut down a DE one on one for most of the game.
I think the original intent is splitting him out wide more, a la the Saints game (at least I hope it is).

The thing people forget about Davis is that he's a fantastic blocker as well, so his presence is crucial to our attack.

I hope that we continue the trend we saw in the playoffs next year and use Davis accordingly. More deep balls on fly routes, etc. He really turned it on at the end of the season and began playing extremely well, catching the ball cleanly like he's never really done before. He proved that he's our best offensive skill player, and needs to be used as such. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a full year in the system, added emphasis on using him in the passing game, and his blossoming skill set.
Jeez.

He's not a WR. Its really that simple. While being a physical freak, he isn't fluid enough to be a great WR. He is fantastic where he is. Don't change it.
Originally posted by merm49:
I think the original intent is splitting him out wide more, a la the Saints game (at least I hope it is).

The thing people forget about Davis is that he's a fantastic blocker as well, so his presence is crucial to our attack.

I hope that we continue the trend we saw in the playoffs next year and use Davis accordingly. More deep balls on fly routes, etc. He really turned it on at the end of the season and began playing extremely well, catching the ball cleanly like he's never really done before. He proved that he's our best offensive skill player, and needs to be used as such. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a full year in the system, added emphasis on using him in the passing game, and his blossoming skill set.
This is why I think we don't need Delanie. I would rather see what Conrad can do or acquire that 6'5-6'7" smart TE who understands zone coverage and can block.

Go double tight and use Vernon as our "smaller" TE. Delanie is NOT what we need. Using that big TE as a blocker can free up Vernon in different formations and positions all over the field and it will allow us to just throw some high balls to that BIG TE as a bailout guy.

The real question is can Vernon handle the mental responsibility Delanie had.
Originally posted by Joecool:
This is why I think we don't need Delanie. I would rather see what Conrad can do or acquire that 6'5-6'7" smart TE who understands zone coverage and can block.

Go double tight and use Vernon as our "smaller" TE. Delanie is NOT what we need. Using that big TE as a blocker can free up Vernon in different formations and positions all over the field and it will allow us to just throw some high balls to that BIG TE as a bailout guy.

You really think Delanie is that expendable? I would keep the pair, as is; and see who gets the 3rd TE spot.
He would make a good wr , but he was born to be a TE
Originally posted by 49realdeal:
He would make a good wr , but he was born to be a TE

Um, no.... Maybe if taught the nuances of the position and taught how to run precise route running, then maybe. But for now??? No.

Originally posted by lssanjose:

You really think Delanie is that expendable? I would keep the pair, as is; and see who gets the 3rd TE spot.

He creates some mismatches but I would rather Vernon practice those types of routes more and free Vernon up from blocking duties. THAT much talent should not be blocking as much as he does. We need to try to find a big blocker who is also fluid enough to catch like a Boss or Ballard type. Vernon is a huge distraction to the defense and Defenses are ecstatic when he stays in to block. Delanie makes defenses worry but no one is afraid of him.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
ya'll cray. He should be a Linebacker with them hands.

dont fix what aint broke

heres to the off season
[ Edited by Allx9er on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM ]
I think this thread should be moved into the "Locked" position.
Then we would still line him up to block people when needed and teams would struggle to put bodies on him. We line VD up outside all the time. Unless his "moving to wide reciever" meant he wouldn't be run blocking inside (one of his greatest strengths) then we already play him as a wideout in many situations. Why on earth would we stop using his inside blocking ability?
I think the key objective is to use him more as a passing weapon but not lose anything in our running game. The only way to do this is replace Delanie with a blocking TE that has very good hands. When was the last time you saw Delanie catch a short pass and take it to the house? We can get the same type of production with a bigger bodied pass catching TE who can block better.

Move Joe Staley to TE and let his backup start LT.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
  • dj43
I think the key objective is to use him more as a passing weapon but not lose anything in our running game. The only way to do this is replace Delanie with a blocking TE that has very good hands. When was the last time you saw Delanie catch a short pass and take it to the house? We can get the same type of production with a bigger bodied pass catching TE who can block better.

Move Joe Staley to TE and let his backup start LT.

Nate Byham
Share 49ersWebzone