LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can the 49ers win a super bowl with Alex Smith?

Nope. Kaepernick is the answer. Watch.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
It can go either way.... Back in the late 80's when Montana got hurt, then Young got hurt, a guy by the name of Steve Bono came in and looked just as good as Young and Montana.. As a matter of fact I remember John Madden commenting on a MNF game that if you took the 3 off Bono's jersey and put a 6 you couldn't tell the difference between him and Montana... Bono was throwing to Rice, Taylor, Jones, with Craig and Rathman out of the back field.... Bono went on to KC, where he didn't exactly take the NFL by storm nor the Chiefs anywhere near close to a Superbowl...

Now, I'm not trying to throw my support behind Smith here, I'm in neither the Love of Hate Alex Camp.. As a matter of fact, I'd love to see Matt Flynn signed and be done with the Era of Alex Smith.. All I am saying is, sometimes great receivers can make the QB look better and sometimes the QB can make the receivers look better....

You make it sound like its sometimes one way and sometimes the other.....when in reality, the amount of times in recent history that the WRs made the QB look better are few and far between. Where on the flipside, QBs making WRs look good happens over and over again, on a yearly basis.

Now you are just being stubborn. The truth is, it is more likely that the QB makes the WR look good but there are MANY times when a very good QB loses their top receiver and their numbers drop off. I am certain you know that even if you won't admit it here.

Bottom line: Everybody recognizes that the greatest need on this team this past season was for higher quality WRs. Why this continues to be an issue with a few of you is beyond comprehension.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
QB's make WR's not the other way around. Roddy White was good but Vick wasn't a good passer in Atlanta. Now White is top 10. coincidence? Grownkowski never had more than 20 catches in a season at Uof A, get with Brady and is top 10 in the NFL??

roddgy white was young its called maturing and vick is better than matt ryan anyhow

and i dont dont much about growkowski and his college career but he was the top rated TE coming out of college so somehow i doubt he had lesss than 20 catches

we no the otehr hand have all 6th round picks at WR

morgan KW ginn (traded a 5th for him what hes worth as a WR is probally less)

then we havev 2 UNDFA i swain and hastings

we just dont have the talent at the position period end of story
Gronkowski missed the first three games of the 2008 season, but later recorded 47 receptions for 672 yards and a team-best ten touchdowns.
With this defense and ST? f**k yeah
Yes.
Originally posted by dj43:
Now you are just being stubborn. The truth is, it is more likely that the QB makes the WR look good but there are MANY times when a very good QB loses their top receiver and their numbers drop off. I am certain you know that even if you won't admit it here.

Bottom line: Everybody recognizes that the greatest need on this team this past season was for higher quality WRs. Why this continues to be an issue with a few of you is beyond comprehension.

Any examples?
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Any examples?

Whenever Vincent Jackson is injured or holding out like he does every year...LOL... Rivers is far worse. More picks, more losses, less yards, less pretty to watch play. Yes from being down here and watching it I can say WR's and weapons DO MATTER.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Any examples?

Whenever Vincent Jackson is injured or holding out like he does every year...LOL... Rivers is far worse. More picks, more losses, less yards, less pretty to watch play. Yes from being down here and watching it I can say WR's and weapons DO MATTER.

Yeah, I remember watching the infamous fumble center/qb snap game of Rivers. Jaws was making all kind of excuses, injuries to his receiving core and Gates, for Rivers every time he made a bad throw to his receiver -- lack of chemistry. Sounds familiar right
  • dj43
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Any examples?

I'll add: Rodgers does not do as well without Greg Jennings even though he has Nelson, Jones and Finley.

Romo without Jason Whitten is much less effective.

Is it just coincidence that when NO added a tall TE with great basketball skills that Drew Brees broke records?

Andy Dalton was having a very nice rookie season until AJ Green missed two games due to injury. In those games his rating was 60.8 versus an overall of 80.

Is this a serious question? Really?
Absolutely, Alex can win # 6 for us. Just gotta get better WR options, and a full offseason of chemistry built up.

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Absolutely, Alex can win # 6 for us. Just gotta get better WR options, and a full offseason of chemistry built up.

Why stop at WR?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Why stop at WR?

There's a salary cap...
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Why stop at WR?

Why stop, indeed. An upgrade at OL and even TE (opposite VD) can help as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
people did not think we could do with steve young and after a a couple of misfires in the nfl title games he got over the hump.I have faith . I knew that some of the alex haters were foaming at the mouth to come out and attack him if the season ended in a loss, kyle williams did deflect some of that anger away for a while but sooner or later you knew it would come around to alex. The names of the haters and non faithfull may change but they are always the same ones
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Not with these WRs. In a perfect world you'd get a better QB AND better WRs, but a better QB is harder to come by. Keep Smith for now, get some more playmakers in the passing game.
Share 49ersWebzone