There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Dwight Clark's Catch be the only play known as "The Catch"?

Should Dwight Clark's Catch be the only play known as "The Catch"?

His catch led to the 49ers first Super Bowl. Terrell Owens catch beat Green Bay in the Wild Card game, but they lost the next week. Vernon's catch beat the Saints in the divisional round but they lost in the NFC Championship. I think we need to give Dwight more respect and not name any other plays as "The Catch II or The Catch III. They don't have nearly as much significance as Dwight's catch.
Yup

Launched us into a dynasty.

The other two catches...meh...they were good at the time.
Yes.....SB or bust.
Have to win the superbowl to be deemed important.
Yes please. The other 2 did not leave to anything.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Yes.....SB or bust.

Yes please. The other 2 did not leave to anything. SB or bust.
Yes.....SB or bust.

This
NO!

The catches give our franchise & stadium a certain mystique. Plus they were all 3rd and 3's right?
[ Edited by KEGster on Jan 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for PatrickWillisHOF.
Originally posted by KEGster:
NO!

The catches give our franchise & stadium a certain mystique. Plus they were all 3rd and 3's right?

But they both lost the next week. They are not nearly as important as Dwight's.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
But they both lost the next week. They are not nearly as important as Dwight's.

No one is deputing that. There is never a bad reason to connect fans from different generations, that's what those 3 plays do
Only one "catch"

People forget what the original meant. It launched a dynasty. Owens catch while good didnt do anything. Heck that was the begining of the end. Vernons was great but lets see how the future holds
I've seen plenty of other catches (like VD's or TO's) to win games. Clark's catch was someting special. It's the only "The Catch" in my book.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I've seen plenty of other catches (like VD's or TO's) to win games. Clark's catch was someting special. It's the only "The Catch" in my book.

Very much agreed.
Yes.....SB or bust.

exactly. VD's catch means s**t now. TO's catch didn't mean s**t either.
Yes all the other catches don't compare to it & should not be named.
Dwight Clarks catch is the only one that led to bigger & better things & now is part of lore with universal consensus as being name worthy like that. If there is not widespread concensus the other plays are worthy of getting official names, then I think it is just "nice try, now back to what matters..."

Owens' catch did not lead to anything significant other than one more game to play. Vernon Davis' catch did not lead to anything significant other than one more game to play. Clark's catch led to the 49ers 1st Superbowl, that they won of course.