There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB position up for competition next year?

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 305Niner:
#1 There would not have been many comebacks if we didnt sputter in the red zone and having a crappy 3rd conversions. The offense had to be conservative because Alex is not a QB you want throwing alot. The more times he drops back the more times a fumble or INT is waiting to happen. He is too inconsistent.

#2 Our WR's are not subpar. This is why I would love to get a proven winner at QB to show that it is not the WR's

#3 IF we keep our defense together and add to it, the best case scenario is looking like the Ravens. Great D and mediocre O. Playoff appearances but no rings. It's a waste to be like that.

#1 makes no sense. He had the lowest interception rate in the NFL and was very good at holding onto the ball. The first play in the Detroit game is a great example that Harbaugh remarked upon. As for our struggles in the red zone, I believe they had much more to do with the lack of an offseason in Harbaugh's system and the collapse of our run game in short yardage situations, combined with the decline of our WRs. Before this season, Alex was an excellent red zone quarterback.

#2 is just patently false. The entire league recognizes we are weak at WR, and we might've had the worst collection of WRs seen in the playoffs in decades.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 305Niner:
#1 There would not have been many comebacks if we didnt sputter in the red zone and having a crappy 3rd conversions. The offense had to be conservative because Alex is not a QB you want throwing alot. The more times he drops back the more times a fumble or INT is waiting to happen. He is too inconsistent.

#2 Our WR's are not subpar. This is why I would love to get a proven winner at QB to show that it is not the WR's

#3 IF we keep our defense together and add to it, the best case scenario is looking like the Ravens. Great D and mediocre O. Playoff appearances but no rings. It's a waste to be like that.

#1 makes no sense. He had the lowest interception rate in the NFL and was very good at holding onto the ball. The first play in the Detroit game is a great example that Harbaugh remarked upon. As for our struggles in the red zone, I believe they had much more to do with the lack of an offseason in Harbaugh's system and the collapse of our run game in short yardage situations, combined with the decline of our WRs. Before this season, Alex was an excellent red zone quarterback.

#2 is just patently false. The entire league recognizes we are weak at WR, and we might've had the worst collection of WRs seen in the playoffs in decades.

I think had Morgan not been hurt, we would have seen a more productive offense. He and Smith have a pretty good track record together. He runs an excellent quick slant, something which became more rare after his injury.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

if were conservative because its the qb then harbaugh will not want alex back

he will not resign a player who limits his offense

and no we wouldnt not in first year

remember rodgers first year starting in GB?

or brees? Goodwin just sad that this years offense remeinided him of the 2007 season when they just got brees

first year qbs in new systems typically causes sputters and conservaticim int he offseason and the fact we had to learn our offense mid season didnt help either

mccarthy was conservative with rogers despite the fact he had already leanred the offense for 3 years it wasnt till i think last year tilll GB opened up there offense
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

or brees? Goodwin just sad that this years offense remeinided him of the 2007 season when they just got brees

first year qbs in new systems typically causes sputters and conservaticim int he offseason and the fact we had to learn our offense mid season didnt help either

mccarthy was conservative with rogers despite the fact he had already leanred the offense for 3 years it wasnt till i think last year tilll GB opened up there offense

oh hell no we are going to wait for Alex 3 more years that mean he is getting paid by the 49ers 10 years and he has not gotten it , time to Move ON !
Originally posted by cNiner:

oh hell no we are going to wait for Alex 3 more years that mean he is getting paid by the 49ers 10 years and he has not gotten it , time to Move ON !

no one said we have to wait 3 years alex is a much smarter and faster learner than all of them i think it will happen next year

the point i was making however is that usually first year offensive system with a new qb has to go conservative because the qb is getting useed to teh system and the fact we had a lckout an n offseason didnt help at all

thats the only point i was making by bringing uo the qbs
Our conservative offense is a function of the QB's capabilities. Our QB play is also therefore not a function of our conservative offense. The test is really simple: If we had Brees, Rodgers, or Manning, would our offense still be conservative? Not a chance in hell. We'd have a wide open offense and we would have gone to the SB with roller skates on. The conclusion is fairly obvious.

I think you better take a look at Brees' first year with the Saints again. Rookie WR's in a new system, rookie 3rd down back in Bush...

64%
4,418yds
96.2 rating

That was Brees' 6th year in the league.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I think you better take a look at Brees' first year with the Saints again. Rookie WR's in a new system, rookie 3rd down back in Bush...

64%
4,418yds
96.2 rating

That was Brees' 6th year in the league.

ya but marques colston was one hell of a WR

and reggie bush led the team in receptions and was 2nd in yards of the year

he checked down a lot and passed a lot

so his numbers would be inflated

i mean alex rarely checks down and you still call him captain checkdown

the stats may not show it if you just look at drew brees but they were conservative nevertheless
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:08 AM ]
^^ on above regge bush had 90 reception
marques colston had 70

next reciever only had 29
Originally posted by mjboot:
I wanted dalton but was picked 1 spot ahead of the 49ers. We willl see which one of the 2 turn out the best in 2 years. Dalton seems to be ahead at the moment. Imagine if the 49ers took dalton I think the 49ers would of won it all.

If we took Dalton, he would have been on the bench just like Kap. And Kap would have started for the Bengals if teams drafted differently. Bengals had a void. Dalton didn't beat out Palmer for the starting job.

Also your logic. Alex drafted ahead of A. Rodgers (like Dalton over Kap). Alex started first 3 years - while Rodgers on the bench that entire time. So you would like to have Alex over Aaron?

Also, Kap is Harbaughs guy. Not Dalton.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Jan 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM ]
I wonder what Harbaughs plan for Kaep is. Does he really think he can be an NFL starter?
marques colston had 70

It's how you use them and whether or not you are willing to throw to them. Marcus Colston is a 2nd tier WR. He averages 74 catches a season and about 1000 yards a year.

Bush's skill set is no different than a Kyle Williams: quick jitterbug types with speed. Undervaluing Brees' production to try to make Alex appear good is ridiculous. Don't forget the fact that they were rookies in a new system on an entire offense in a new system. Yet we keep talking about "wait until ALL our guys get into year 2." It's BS. Our players have shown glimpses of what they can do.

Alex: will always be safe unless the play is designed for a difficult throw and even then, he may not throw it. And he will RARELY make a tight throw out of design.

Crabtree: If targeted often early, he can be a top possession receiver who will also give you some YAC. However, his speed will cause him to be covered tight more often than not but he will fight for the ball when thrown to...if he's throw to. His skill set and Alex's mentality do not mesh.

Vernon: can pretty much succeed anywhere.

Delanie: not a great separation receiver but is very shifty considering the type of defenders who will be covering him. He can be a great security valve but it will be tighter coverages.

Kyle Williams: Dude has some major speed and quickness and can catch. He can be sent deep but primarily used as a Wes Welker type.

Josh Morgan: He is in the mold of a Colston. Smooth, not too flashy style, can jump up for balls and is very physical. Great at the seam routes or curl routes. He also has the ability to get YAC. Still, very strong receiver.

The one major thing we are lacking is height. But our receivers are far from sub par.
Originally posted by Joecool:
marques colston had 70

It's how you use them and whether or not you are willing to throw to them. Marcus Colston is a 2nd tier WR. He averages 74 catches a season and about 1000 yards a year.

Bush's skill set is no different than a Kyle Williams: quick jitterbug types with speed. Undervaluing Brees' production to try to make Alex appear good is ridiculous. Don't forget the fact that they were rookies in a new system on an entire offense in a new system. Yet we keep talking about "wait until ALL our guys get into year 2." It's BS. Our players have shown glimpses of what they can do.

Alex: will always be safe unless the play is designed for a difficult throw and even then, he may not throw it. And he will RARELY make a tight throw out of design.

Crabtree: If targeted often early, he can be a top possession receiver who will also give you some YAC. However, his speed will cause him to be covered tight more often than not but he will fight for the ball when thrown to...if he's throw to. His skill set and Alex's mentality do not mesh.

Vernon: can pretty much succeed anywhere.

Delanie: not a great separation receiver but is very shifty considering the type of defenders who will be covering him. He can be a great security valve but it will be tighter coverages.

Kyle Williams: Dude has some major speed and quickness and can catch. He can be sent deep but primarily used as a Wes Welker type.

Josh Morgan: He is in the mold of a Colston. Smooth, not too flashy style, can jump up for balls and is very physical. Great at the seam routes or curl routes. He also has the ability to get YAC. Still, very strong receiver.

The one major thing we are lacking is height. But our receivers are far from sub par.

You're speaking mainly on potential. Lets not forget how Crabtree and Williams had the dropsies in the Saints game and we didn't have Morgan or Ginn. If Brett Swain is in your rotation in the NFC championship then you have a sub-par group.
Someone said here we can't be like the Ravens. Why not? We already are. We have our Trent Dilfer who didn't need to win games, just manage them (Alex of course).
Originally posted by redmanc07:
You're speaking mainly on potential. Lets not forget how Crabtree and Williams had the dropsies in the Saints game and we didn't have Morgan or Ginn. If Brett Swain is in your rotation in the NFC championship then you have a sub-par group.

Brett Swain was in GB's rotation last year before he was hurt.

Potential? What do you think a bunch of rookies on that Saints team was? You have to throw to the receivers and get them in rhythm also. You can't just throw to a guy 4 times a game. Shanahan did this with Jerry Rice and his QB's. So did Walsh. They threw some quick easy plays to get everyone on the success path.
Side note: Can anyone tell me why we show both Alex and Colin as listed on our roster 6' 4"? This doesn't appear to be on a hill and appears to me they do not have the identical height.

[ Edited by OldJoe on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home