There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Non Fumble Call

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
The whistle was way early and the play would have continued (I guarantee) if Bradshaw had spun around and broke loose. But the refs were off throughout the game alot. Missing harbaughs timeout call probably made me mad the most though. It was clear he was signalling for a TO and they blatently ignored it. But yet reversed 2 plays when Coughlin called Timeouts before the play WTF???

Yeah, the TO-thing was HUGE b/c it was 3rd and 7, I believe. And that was the second game in a row where Harbaugh was not rewarded the TO yet Payton's team was allowed to run a full play, didn't get the 1st down and THEN was rewarded the initial TO, wiping out the play. That TO may have been just as big as this non-TO b/c again, we were driving and had momentum and were about to score a TD.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
So pissed when I think of the crap that happened to the Niners in that game. It was quite evident that ALL the luck was on their side. From the missed interceptions, to Kyle Williams' fumbles, to this crappy call. I have never seen a game where one team had EVERY ounce of luck on the field.

....and to make matters worse, all I am hearing today is how Eli established himself as one of the elite QBs. That was one of the worst QB performances you could ask for. He got locked down in the second half, and was lucky he didnt throw 2-4 interceptions. Whether it was our guys running into each other or just slipping on the break, he got lucky he wasn't intercepted multiple times.

Agree with much of this post....

Sometimes in these type of games, there seems to be one team that is just destined to win, even if that team doesn't really deserve to. The Patriots played poorly yesterday but got a couple of breaks late and won. The Giants certainly did not outplay the Niners yet won. Eli contributed to the win but was certainly not the reason NY won....and I do agree that he was lucky that he didn't have a couple of picks. He did make a great play on that second TD pass though....3rd and 15 and he drills it to Manningham. To me, this was the most critical play of the game. If that pass falls incomplete, the Giants have to settle for 3, the score is 14-13 Niners and the last few minutes are very different.

I'll just say this...the Giants were very, very fortunate to win that game. They got 10 points in the second half and all of those points were given to them on a short field after turnovers by a young player who was replacing an injured vet. Had that vet not been hurt, Niners probably win. The football gods simply were not with the Niners on this day.

This one definitely hurts... That Niner defense deserves to be in the SB. ....but what to do now?....go back to the drawing board, stock up on stud wideouts and some OL and DL depth and come out next season and dominate. I hope the team uses this "loss" as fuel for the "fire in their bellies" next season. I'm sure Harbaugh will.

Cheers!

Agreed! And that TD was a simple post pattern with Brock covering d/t the injured Brown. This game reminded me so much of the Roger Craig fumble, I could literally "feel" it before the game.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by ninersbaby1:
we didn't lose the game from this play we lost becuase of kyle williams

BS.

We lost because we couldn't score a point on FIVE tries to close the game. The game should have been over in regulation or in the first 2 chances in overtime.

You are both right. This is where the distinction between direct and indirect cause is important.

The Niners DIRECTLY lost the game because Kyle Williams fumbled a punt in OT that put the Giants in easy field goal position, which accounted for the 3 points that made the Niners lose.

The Niners INDIRECTLY lost the game because they couldn't convert on 3rd down and were offensively impotent. This is indirect because it did not directly cause the points that made the Niners lose the game.

Either/or, it sucks that the Niners lost in such a way, directly and indirectly.

Totally agree with this post.

BTW, if there ever was a real fumble that we never got , it was in the Week 10 battle, on the Giants first drive near the 10 yard line. Not the same magnitude, but if they screwed that call up with 2 minutes to go in the game, I'd be furious.

But for me, the way I see it, the overall manner of the loss should make fans and players/coaches so pissed that in next year's rematch we win big and in a very brutal way.

They should be mad at themselves for not making the offense click, and all the lucky bounces that went the Giants way should only add salt to the wounds. The "we will not be denied" crap from Rolle before & after the game only makes this more annoying.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by susweel:
I refuse to watch any replay from that game. I still havent seen the highlights from it and dont plan on watching.

I watched the saints game like 4 times. Will not rewatch this s**t. hurts too much.

I watch them present the trophy and the highlights. i can tell you it's burning up right now. so i hope the players watched too.

After the Giants kicked the field goal I turned off the TV and went and laid on my bed. That game hurt like no other game in recent history because I really thought we were gonna win the super bowl and to give it away in that fashion was painful. I still haven't watched ESPN or NFL network for the last two days and I really dont plan on watching it until super bowl day.
That one hurt.

Thats a fumble 90% of the time.

not sure why he ran in there like an a*****e to rule the play dead.

He should of blown the whistle before the forward prgress was stopped.

b******t.

And f**k kyle williams why isnt he cut yet
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
fffffffffffffffff
At the end of the segment it stated the NFL apologized to the Giants for getting it wrong......We won't get one nor would I accept one "F#CK THEM"

This play and the Rice fumble against the packers prior to th catch II made me feel a little better.

But, those games weren't for the super bowl. This was. f**king kyle williams and the refs god damnit!
The ref was standing right there with a good look at Bowman stripping the ball. If Bowman doesn't get the ball loose my bet is the whistle doesn't get blown until Bradshaw is on his back. We've all seen the exact same play thousands of times where the ref swallows the whistle until the play is fully concluded . . . except this time.
Originally posted by skibeerski:
Originally posted by kray28:
Regarding the celebration penalty. Supposedly you can't use a prop as part of your celebration. They went as far as to add that the Lambeau Leap had been "grandfathered in". So you can use a prop....if you're the Packers.

The league is so full of it, it isn't even funny. How fair is that? They grandfathered in one of the more obnoxious and lame TD celebrations.

Are you serious?? That's actually in the rule book? That's crap. The field goal post is a prop then right? Guys dunk over it, throw the ball at it. That's just a weak argument that a TV tower is any different than anything else a player uses to celebrate on the field.

I completely agree skibeerski!!
It was an obvious fumble. Even the majority of non-Niner fans see it that way.

Karma for the 2002 game, I suppose. Moving on.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This play and the Rice fumble against the packers prior to th catch II made me feel a little better.

But, those games weren't for the super bowl. This was. f**king kyle williams and the refs god damnit!

There is an issue with the penalty. First of all, the Giants f'd up the kick(snap) themselves. Secondly I believe(correct me if wrong) that there were illegal men down field against the Giants. Okeafor interfered, I agree but why should they get a second chance when they screwed it up, commited a penalty during the play but want a redo because of Okeafor? Penalties offset, game.
Nasty HELMET TO HELMET.............
Didn't involve our 49ers............but the Giants been receiving help from the refs all year.....enjoy
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The ref was standing right there with a good look at Bowman stripping the ball. If Bowman doesn't get the ball loose my bet is the whistle doesn't get blown until Bradshaw is on his back. We've all seen the exact same play thousands of times where the ref swallows the whistle until the play is fully concluded . . . except this time.

So this. I think refs have a mental alert once they see players reach in and rip. it is normal and even if i were a ref, i would be quicker to blow a whistle on forward progress if see a rip happening.

BUT this opens a can of worms. One can make a claim Whitners hit on the Saints running back was not a fumble due to forward progress. The hit happened and the RB was turned which immediately stopped forward progress. The ball started to fall out after his body turned.

Solution: award forward progress on downed players but a player MUST keep full possession of the ball until he is stood up, the whistle blows and the play is clearly dead or if he is down by contact prior to fumble.
I havent seen the play again but watching the game live and multiple replays to me it did not look like a fumble. I thought the refs made the correct call on that one.

Just my opinion.

Go ahead and start the flaming.
Originally posted by susweel:
I havent seen the play again but watching the game live and multiple replays to me it did not look like a fumble. I thought the refs made the correct call on that one.

Just my opinion.

Go ahead and start the flaming.

f**ken trator!