LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

The Non Fumble Call

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok, this is the problem I have with the forward progress call by the ref. There was no wistle blown, which is the typical call on this play, and if the running back falls back but lands on the defender, never touches the ground and bouces back up to gain more yardage they probably let that play go. It was way too early to make that call. I also think Harbough is right about the Davis celebration penalty, that's no different than leaping into the stands or dunking the ball over the cos bar. Especially bad call in a game of this magnitude.
Originally posted by skibeerski:
Ok, this is the problem I have with the forward progress call by the ref. There was no wistle blown, which is the typical call on this play, and if the running back falls back but lands on the defender, never touches the ground and bouces back up to gain more yardage they probably let that play go. It was way too early to make that call. I also think Harbough is right about the Davis celebration penalty, that's no different than leaping into the stands or dunking the ball over the cos bar. Especially bad call in a game of this magnitude.

I just viewed that play on youtube........in real time i've never seen that called that way....almost 100% of the time thats a fumble......Watch the whole play.....Bradshaw and the LT "high-low" Willis on that play also (chop block)......We noticed that earlier Anthony Davis had his helmet ripped off another Giant(#34) took a swipe at his helmetless head(no call except on VD who was the 4th guy in the action) I saw the best way to block Justin Smith and Ray Mac was a arm around the neck......so those were a few i noticed........
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Whistle was blown...it was a very quick whistle, Well before the runner was fully down.
Originally posted by kray28:
Whistle was blown...it was a very quick whistle, Well before the runner was fully down.
Did Ed muscle man Hoc say the play was whistled dead or could you hear a whistle? I was in a bar and couldnt hear.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Regarding the celebration penalty. Supposedly you can't use a prop as part of your celebration. They went as far as to add that the Lambeau Leap had been "grandfathered in". So you can use a prop....if you're the Packers.

The league is so full of it, it isn't even funny. How fair is that? They grandfathered in one of the more obnoxious and lame TD celebrations.
Regarding the celebration penalty. Supposedly you can't use a prop as part of your celebration. They went as far as to add that the Lambeau Leap had been "grandfathered in". So you can use a prop....if you're the Packers.

The league is so full of it, it isn't even funny. How fair is that? They grandfathered in one of the more obnoxious and lame TD celebrations.

f**king crock of s**t if you ask me
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Did Ed muscle man Hoc say the play was whistled dead or could you hear a whistle? I was in a bar and couldnt hear.

I heard the whistle with my own ears...I thought it was way premature though. Forward progress was not necessarily stopped, and the runner was certainly not down.

Are you serious?? That's actually in the rule book? That's crap. The field goal post is a prop then right? Guys dunk over it, throw the ball at it. That's just a weak argument that a TV tower is any different than anything else a player uses to celebrate on the field.

I heard the whistle with my own ears...I thought it was way premature though. Forward progress was not necessarily stopped, and the runner was certainly not down.

agreed..........how often have you seen that in all the years you're been watching?............me, maybe once......i know one thing, is getting hard as hell to play defense in this new NFL!

the guy on pti thought that was a bs forward progress call as well

I agree though, way too quick to whistle the play dead. How many times you see a runner thrown back not hit the ground and recover. Got let the play ride out a little further. I hate the premature whistle on any play unless its obvious the play is dead
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

I just viewed that play on youtube........in real time i've never seen that called that way....almost 100% of the time thats a fumble......Watch the whole play.....Bradshaw and the LT "high-low" Willis on that play also (chop block)......We noticed that earlier Anthony Davis had his helmet ripped off another Giant(#34) took a swipe at his helmetless head(no call except on VD who was the 4th guy in the action) I saw the best way to block Justin Smith and Ray Mac was a arm around the neck......so those were a few i noticed........

Horrible officiating, funny how I saw everything you mentioned here the same way. Refs were making me mad all game but not as mad as Kyle was when he was fielding punts that he shouldn't have been anywhere near.
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Originally posted by vamphunter23:

Horrible officiating, funny how I saw everything you mentioned here the same way. Refs were making me mad all game but not as mad as Kyle was when he was fielding punts that he shouldn't have been anywhere near.

I hate to say this but I was telling my brother before the game that the niners weren't going to get the calls this game because the NFL wants the Giants to be in the Superbowl for ratings. They're certainly werent any obvious blown calls but there doesnt have to be to affect a game. Just sayin.
Forward progress will forever haunt me
horrible call...karma from the no PI call last time we played
Share 49ersWebzone