There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

undervaluing wide receivers hurt niners

remember mcloughan turning up his nose at taking receivers high, saying he could get them in the 3rd round

maybe that thinking caught up with niners yesterday

did they run any sets with 3 receivers...i didnt see swain on the field at all

hopefully they will get some receivers for the offense in 2012
i seen swain once or twice but the guy is a bum so having him on the field means nothing. Just need better talent.
  • jlo23
  • Veteran
We need to pick up 2 WR via free agency...Desean Jackson WR/KR and and either Bowe or Meachem...Add Vernon and Delaney, that would allow us to spread the field.
Hell No, we should have won that game except for f**king bone-headed decisions by Kyle Williams and the inexplicable decisions to stop running the ball. If anything, overvaluing our receivers in the 4th quarter turned out to be our undoing.

I'd rather see us build on our strengths (defense) by signing some of our own guys. I don't want us to go all Julio Jones and think that as long as we fix the WR position we'll be a championship team. WE WERE GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Just remember that and hope we don't overreact... every position on this team can be upgraded, so let's not sell out to improve the WR position.
1 for 13 3rd down conversions. Pretty obvious we need WR help. The FO knew this going into the season. We need size and speed if we can get it.
Originally posted by hofer36:
remember mcloughan turning up his nose at taking receivers high, saying he could get them in the 3rd round

You can find wide receivers all over the place. Owens was a 3rd rounder. Mike Wallace was a 3rd rounder. Steve Smith of the Panthers was a 3rd rounder. Victor Cruz went undrafted. The team just has to do a better job of focusing on that area and finding the right players to fit the offense.

One thing I'd like to see more next year is 4 and even 5 WR sets. They went with 2 WR sets way too often yesterday, making it that much easier on the defense.
Huge hole to fill in the offseason.

Without at least 2 new playmakers at the wr position, we go no further next year.

I'm sure its going to be a priority!!
we need a Dwayne Bowe/De Sean jackson on our team.. Everyones got em..
Our receiving corp was decimated from injuries. All the first rounders in the world wouldn't have helped us with that.
Edwards looked like a big part of the solution until he hurt his knee in Week 2. Considering how bad the FA market was for WR last summer after the lockout it was a pretty good pickup that just didn't work out.

Yeah, they could have drafted another WR than Johnson, but he was the one draft misfire. They had far too many holes to fill at that time to get to them all anyway.

They'll address the problem this offseason, probably both in FA and the draft heavily.
No, what hurt them was Edwards getting hurt early and Ginn getting hurt late. They need WRs, but NOT taking recievers landed them players who DID contribute.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You can find wide receivers all over the place. Owens was a 3rd rounder. Mike Wallace was a 3rd rounder. Steve Smith of the Panthers was a 3rd rounder. Victor Cruz went undrafted. The team just has to do a better job of focusing on that area and finding the right players to fit the offense.

One thing I'd like to see more next year is 4 and even 5 WR sets. They went with 2 WR sets way too often yesterday, making it that much easier on the defense.

It's talent evaluation PERIOD

To expand on this, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are all picks later then the 3rd round. They have also swung on missed on WRs though as Limas Sweed who was drafted 54th overall and couldn't stay healthy.

3 out of 4 - I would take that percentage any day.

Lets not kid ourselves - The mere fact that we were able to get 13 wins and a nfc championship appearance out of this team with 7 weeks of prep after the lockout is a completely and utter miracle. We will definitely be doing some deep soul searching at many positions this off season, both on the team and in the front office. The true imprint of Harbaugh and Baake will be made this off season when they can evaluate all the players from the team based on this entire season plus the draft and free agency.
First of all niners need to cut crabtree. Even if they take a cap hit. Second he is overated too slow, cant get seperation on a consistant basis, routes are terrible. Josh Morgan is nothing to brag about either, but he is better than crabtree. Niners need two play makers whether throught the draft or the free agency, Niners recievers are too slow nobody fears them. When your starting tight end has to run go routes you no you are in trouble. Niners should have one the game though if it wasn't for turn overs. Offensive line played good, but I would go after Gaither and put him at left takle and move Staley too right. Staley is playing well but Gaither is an instant upgrade, not even close when healthy. Look how Phllip Rivrers was playing when they got gaither. Pus he is only 25 years old. Also if they could get carl Nicks now the niners would have one of the top 2 or 3 offensive lines in the league.
Originally posted by Southeast:
First of all niners need to cut crabtree. Even if they take a cap hit. Second he is overated too slow, cant get seperation on a consistant basis, routes are terrible. Josh Morgan is nothing to brag about either, but he is better than crabtree. Niners need two play makers whether throught the draft or the free agency, Niners recievers are too slow nobody fears them. When your starting tight end has to run go routes you no you are in trouble. Niners should have one the game though if it wasn't for turn overs. Offensive line played good, but I would go after Gaither and put him at left takle and move Staley too right. Staley is playing well but Gaither is an instant upgrade, not even close when healthy. Look how Phllip Rivrers was playing when they got gaither. Pus he is only 25 years old. Also if they could get carl Nicks now the niners would have one of the top 2 or 3 offensive lines in the league.

BS. They don't need to cut Crabtree. Ridiculous.

He was the teams leading reciver with over 800 yards and was a big reason they got to 13-3.

What they need is MORE WRs. Cutting a productive one who isn't a superstar is just stupid and overly reactionary.

They also don't need to move Staley. He is starting in the Pro Bowl for Christs sake. The O-Line needs to look at RG, but that's about it. I'd be on-board with Nicks....but nothing else you said there.

Wasn't Crabpee a 1st round pick?